advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
From the Risk vs Consequence Dept...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 03, 2020 02:07AM
On my stroll yesterday, I saw that the nearby SuperCuts was open.

While they aren't usually my first, second, or third choice in barbering (I don't think they're legally barbers), in light of my long time barber's retiring and the pandemic, I take what I can get.

My hair had be the longest it's every been in my life, and I was forced to do my own, with some large measure of success, if one allows that 'success' is relative.

Throwing caution to the wind, I made an appointment for today, Friday.

I was the second customer of the day.

Donning a fresh N95 just for the occasion, I entered and waited while the first customer finished his appointment with a #2 rake.

It went quickly, and he left leaving just the employee and me in the shop.

She used some hand sanitized then set about policing her station.

She put the cape in a bin and got another out, folded from it's plastic bag, though not sealed.

She then wiped down all the surfaces of the chair, and all of her kit, including the work surfaces where it sat.

Her mask was of the common blue, rectangular variety, while mine was a D-Cup N95 with metal nose bridge fitted accordingly.

I was directed upon approach to use some hand sanitizer, and wearing a short sleeve shirt, it went on my arms.

Not much was needed, only one pump per arm.

I had to remove the elastic loops from my ears and hold it in place so she could cut.

When she was done, more sanitizer, on my hands only this time.

These was not a sterile environment, obviously, but I felt pretty good about my chances, and great about my haircut.

She did ask if I had cut my own hair, and I ask 'because it looks so professional?' which got a big laugh from her.

It seems she couldn't get it completely even and keep it within my requirements for length.

No #2 rakes or fades for me.

But it's so much better than before, and the next haircut in a month will set it right.

I'll self-quarantine for seven days before going out, if my temperature is normal, and that'll be for a Quarter Pounder Deluxe (fries and a shake of course, with no contact from me to any personnel.

Another five days probably, and I should be sorted.

So I felt the risk was minimal, though consequences be potentially very high.

However, should CA start to spike with the possibility of shutting down SuperCuts, the use of a #3 or 4 rake will be authorized.

Two for two, I'm good now.

We are a government of laws, not men.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: From the Risk vs Consequence Dept...
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 03, 2020 04:41AM
I think that avoiding visits to barbers/salons is still prudent.

I've been cutting my hair at home using my beard trimmer monthly since April. (Skipped March.) It did the job, but it took a lot of time and effort to get decent results. About 40 minutes all-told. And I think it's been putting excessive wear-and-tear on the trimmer.

I picked up a new Wahl Professional clipper this week. It cut the time down to about 5 minutes. Nearly effortless.

Ran the #5 comb around my ears and the lower back of my head. Then a #6 for the 3 inches above that. Then the #7 almost to the top of my head. Then the #8 around the top.

Used my beard trimmer to clean up around the ears and blend into my beard.

Strategically placed a mirror in my bathroom to see the back of my head, used masking tape to get a straight line along the hairline and used the beard trimmer along the tape-line to clean up the nape of my neck.

It looks every bit as good as my last professional haircut. I don't know that I ever need to pay for a haircut again.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 03, 2020 05:48AM
I use a Wahl with the #1 and my wife blocks the back. I use the 1/2 on my beard. I cut again when my beard is twice as long as my hair. I do get pretty shaggy between cuts but my beard is mostly hidden behind a mask when I go out and I have so little hair on my head that it’s moot.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: October 03, 2020 06:01AM
I also have not had a professional cut since late March. And wifey's been up North since early June.

I have used my razor on the short hairs on the back of my neck.

I'm mostly bald on top, so its just the sides and back that grows. The sides look a bit shaggy, but in a good way.

The back is just about long enough for me to relive my hippie days. Just need to find a suitable hair tie.

Do they call them scrunchies these days? I need something less froufrou.
Date: October 03, 2020 09:41AM
The back is just about long enough for me to relive my hippie days. Just need to find a suitable hair tie.

I was never down with any hippie look or affectation other than bellbottom blues.

My COVID hair was long enough to sport a ronin look, but i wasn't going there either.

At least not without my Yojimbo® daisho.

While I believe it's prudent to avoid 99% of human contact outside of immediate family where unavoidable, this was worth the risk to me.

We'll see if I erred, in a week or two.

I do have a vintage Walh but no rakes at alh, so it's just for leveling the back.

The 'blocked' look was never to my liking and without a rake, getting the back tapered is iffy.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: blooz
Date: October 03, 2020 09:44PM
Mine's been growing since january. Back to my early '70's look. My daughter came to visit (we both tested negative) and was charged by her siblings to get my hair cut one way or another. They were aghast at my nostalgic ponytail.
As I was starting to fear that she was prepared to cut it iin my sleep, i went to my usual place today. One barber/stylist, masked, and she cleaned things up. I had to wait on the sidewalk til the customer before me was done and out of the shop.
Haircut is good, daughter thinks it's still too long.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Date: October 04, 2020 03:12AM
As I was starting to fear that she was prepared to cut it iin my sleep

Your daughter sounds like a great kid.

I like her.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: Sam3
Date: October 05, 2020 06:05AM
My wife and daughter are the opposite. They both want me in long, hippie-type, ponytail hair. Covid-19 certainly helped in that respect.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: Maddog
Date: October 05, 2020 06:24PM
Beware the Skullet!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 56
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020