advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
17-foot, 2-inch shark caught off Nova Scotia is a 3,541-pound ‘Queen of the Ocean’
Posted by: DP
Date: October 03, 2020 07:08AM
That's a big fish!

A 17-foot, 2-inch great white shark weighing an astounding 3,541 pounds was captured Friday in the Northwest Atlantic by researchers with OCEARCH.

To put that in perspective, a Ford F-150 pickup is 17 feet, 5 inches long.

Expedition leader Chris Fischer told McClatchy News the shark is more than 50 years old and counts as the largest white shark the nonprofit has tagged in the Northwest Atlantic. It is also among the 12 biggest white sharks he has tagged off Africa and in the Pacific, he said.

“She is a very old creature, a proper Queen of the Ocean and a matriarch. She has all the scars, healed wounds and discolorations that tell a deep, rich story of her life going back years,” Fischer told McClatchy News.

Researchers named the shark Nukumi (pronounced noo-goo-mee) in honor of a “legendary wise old grandmother figure of the Native American Mi’kmaq people,” according to a Facebook post.

“You feel different when you’re standing beside a shark of that size compared to the ones in the 2,000-pound range. It’s an emotional, humbling experience that can make you feel small. You feel insignificant standing next to such an ancient animal.”

The shark was caught off Nova Scotia and researchers rushed to collect data for 21 research projects, including an ultra sound, bacteria samples off her teeth and fecal samples to learn her diet. Blood, muscle and skin samples were also taken for medical research.

[www.yahoo.com]

Tracking link:

[www.ocearch.org]

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 17-foot, 2-inch shark caught off Nova Scotia is a 3,541-pound ‘Queen of the Ocean’
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 03, 2020 07:24AM
That's a big fish!

fish?
Re: 17-foot, 2-inch shark caught off Nova Scotia is a 3,541-pound ‘Queen of the Ocean’
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 03, 2020 08:51AM
They need a bigger boat.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: DP
Date: October 03, 2020 09:03AM
space-time
That's a big fish!

fish?

Yes.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: October 03, 2020 09:27AM
Nukumi!
Amazing video from OCEARCH...
[www.centredaily.com]
CentreDaily
A 17-foot, 2-inch great white shark weighing an astounding 3,541 pounds was
captured Friday in the Northwest Atlantic by researchers with OCEARCH.
To put that in perspective, a Ford F-150 pickup is 17 feet, 5 inches long.

OCEARCH named the shark Nukumi in honor of a “legendary wise old grandmother
figure of the Native American Mi’kmaq people.” OCEARCH photo

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: August West
Date: October 03, 2020 09:44AM
Cool!!

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Ammo
Date: October 03, 2020 11:05AM
I doubt even a tornado could lift this shark out of the ocean!

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 03, 2020 02:19PM
Ammo

smiley-laughing001

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: October 03, 2020 05:11PM
Ammo

Winner "best thread comment of the day." Maybe the month!
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 05, 2020 12:43AM
How about "Chicken of the Sea"?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 74
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020