advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What’s the best prank you’ve ever played on someone?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 03, 2020 11:12AM
What’s the best prank you’ve ever played on someone? Was there any fallout?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2020 01:04PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What’s the best prank you’ve ever played on someone?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 03, 2020 11:24AM
Motion-activated sarlacc replica stashed inside a TITANIUM SPACE TOILET. I'll let you know how it works out....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: October 03, 2020 12:02PM
I was a social worker spending my time between two residential homes housing adults with learning difficulties. Our boss decided it would be really good to have Call Waiting activated (this was quite a few years ago). She had a really annoying habit where if she was at one house and was talking to one of my fellow workers at the other house, if a call came in she would cut the worker off immediately with "Another call" no matter how important the conversation was. It was rude and unnecessary and my colleagues were getting annoyed.

She rang me one day and while we were talking I rang her on second line we used for the fax. She of course immediately cut me off and when she said "Hello" on the other line I answered so she thought the call swap hadn't worked. She tried again and again I answered back on the original line. She must have swapped at least ten times getting more and more exasperated thinking there was this other person wanting to talk to her but she couldn't get the line to work. I had a couple of colleagues with me, one had to leave the room in fits of laughter and the other couldn't help letting out a scream at which point I put my boss out of her misery. "I'll kill you!" she screamed for all to hear however when I went over to the other house later in the day I told her about her rudeness to my colleagues and that had been the reason I had done it. She was a lot better after that.

Paul

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 03, 2020 12:30PM
I've got one from college. Needs a little context.

So, back in college, one of my best friends took her boyfriend, also one of my best friends, to the fanciest restaurant in Chicago (where we were going to school). Top-tier, well beyond the usual budget of a college student. They took the elevator up to the restaurant, entered, met the maitre'd , who showed them to one of the best tables in the restaurant. He pulled out her chair, seated her, left them menus, and said the waiter would be over shortly.

The waiter came over, and my friend said "I'm treating my boyfriend to dinner, so he'll be ordering first." The boyfriend ordered; the waiter wrote it down. Then he nodded to my friend, and said, "For you, madam, the usual?" "Yes, thank you," she replied.

The boyfriend was floored, and spent the rest of the meal cross-examining my friend about how she had a "usual" at this elite restaurant. He finally arrived at the conclusion that she must have had a prior life as a highly-paid courtesan!

What he didn't know was that I had visited the restaurant the week before, and had tipped/bribed the maitre'd to set the whole thing up.

The BEST prank of my life, bar none. I still laugh out loud when I think about it.

Second best prank--I dropped out of college, and then went on to get my undergraduate degree. My mom didn't know I was doing this, and was despairing about my future. When I completed my studies, but before graduation, I told her. She nearly fell over.
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 03, 2020 02:39PM
anonymouse1
I've got one from college. Needs a little context.

So, back in college, one of my best friends took her boyfriend, also one of my best friends, to the fanciest restaurant in Chicago (where we were going to school). Top-tier, well beyond the usual budget of a college student. They took the elevator up to the restaurant, entered, met the maitre'd , who showed them to one of the best tables in the restaurant. He pulled out her chair, seated her, left them menus, and said the waiter would be over shortly.

The waiter came over, and my friend said "I'm treating my boyfriend to dinner, so he'll be ordering first." The boyfriend ordered; the waiter wrote it down. Then he nodded to my friend, and said, "For you, madam, the usual?" "Yes, thank you," she replied.

The boyfriend was floored, and spent the rest of the meal cross-examining my friend about how she had a "usual" at this elite restaurant. He finally arrived at the conclusion that she must have had a prior life as a highly-paid courtesan!

What he didn't know was that I had visited the restaurant the week before, and had tipped/bribed the maitre'd to set the whole thing up.

The BEST prank of my life, bar none. I still laugh out loud when I think about it.

Second best prank--I dropped out of college, and then went on to get my undergraduate degree. My mom didn't know I was doing this, and was despairing about my future. When I completed my studies, but before graduation, I told her. She nearly fell over.

Your poor mama. You need to come over to my house so that I can punish you. I also know that if it was the best restaurant in Chicago, the food was GOOD! Chicago does not play.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 03, 2020 03:00PM
I briefly mentioned this back in April.

Many years ago, one of the professors at a college taught both COBOL and C+ classes. I took the COBOL class first. One of the end of semester assignments was identical for both classes, write a program to "Accept data entry for the DMV." During the semester he had mentioned that previous students had tried to prank him with obfuscated code by hiding libraries at the end of a program, so he would always look there when something was not what it seemed. Another time during the semester he had said that anybody that could replace COBOL code with C+ could revolutionize computer science and become famous, so I got to work.

I wrote the program in C+ and hid it in a linked library. The link to the library it was off to the right in column 100, someplace he had never looked in class because he made a point to always have code end before column 80 so we would not get confused. Then I inserted in the code from the COBOL program and commented it out, off to the right in column 100. I made up a fake library where I dumped about 30 lines (enough to fill one full screen in the editor) from the COBOL video function library, and then put the similar function codes from the C+ library and set up bogus equivalences. After the 30 lines, I typed a note that it was a prank. I linked the fake library at the end of the COBOL code in the main program.

In class he made an example of me about how students occasionally made mistakes mixing up floppy discs from other semesters and said I got a zero on that assignment. When grading the assignment in his office, he had only loaded the program in the C+ editor, seen it was COBOL and then quit.

I objected and said I had done the project that way on purpose and that it worked. He put my disc back into the computer and opened the file in the C+ editor and hit compile and it completed without errors. He did a classic double take and paused for a second. Then he started scanning the code. He noticed the link to the fake COBOL to C+ library down at the end of the code and loaded it on the overhead screen for everybody to see. He started scrolling down and then froze for a millisecond when he saw my note about it being garbage. His hand shot out and smacked the power strip to turn off the computer and overhead projector (he had always told us to never do this, always shut the computer down properly and then turn it off). He punched the eject button, wrote a big 10 on my floppy disc, flipped it at me (I was sitting in the front row) and whispered "got me."

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2020 03:07PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 03, 2020 06:43PM
Folks' bathroom was thru closet/dressing room off of master bedroom. I went to bed a little after 10PM, usually after watching black & white console Phillips TV in their bedroom. You could set a clock w/ my mother's 11:00PM trip to the bathroom. One night, I blew up a balloon as full as possible, and taped it to the closet door, behind the dressing room door. I taped a tack to the back of the dressing room door, carefully leaving it ajar.

At the appointed 11:00PM hour, the old broad went on her pee run, and I had to bite the pillow to keep from biting thru my tongue. When the balloon exploded, very loudly, the maternal unit screamed even louder. Pops went running running from the den, down the halls to save her. I never knew he could move that fast. Of course the mom wanted to punish me for life, as usual, but pop let me off w/ a 10 year suspended sentence, and probation until I went off to college, or the next punishable offense, whichever came first. That incident led to a series of pranks, back and forth, but none beat "The Scream".
==

Fast forward a decade+, or so, I've been in LA for a few years by then, and a buddy whose bday is Xmas eve, married a reformed nun the day before his 30th bday. It was a whirlwind courtship, as they only met about 7 months earlier. Several of us that had worked together over the previous 7 or 8 years, had bet our boy $10 each that he wouldn't get married before he was thirty around 3 years before he nunned up.

Instead of pinning money on the bride at the wedding reception, all of us losers gave the groom his winnings; leaving it up to him to explain why to his new wife. He cooked up a story that we all agreed to stick to for at least a couple of years, though he was supposedly gonna tell her on their first anniversary. She was not to know the wedding was staged so he could win a bet.

The following June, since Father's Day tends to coincide w/ the end of the school year, I had several friends from UCLA mail Father's Day cards to our gregarious groom, from all over the country when they returned to their home states for summer.

A week, or so, after Father's Day, I get a call from the happy(?) couple asking if I had anything to do with a bunch of Father's Day cards arriving at their home. Of course I denied it, and asked why he hadn't told her about his kids.... I said it sounded like a good prank, however. They then proceeded to tell me how had already called Mark C., Mark D., Paul, Terry, Ernie, Peter, Denny, etc., before calling me. Everybody else was up in the SF Bay Area, and I was a toll call in LA, so of course I was last....

That pissed me off just enough to decide, on the spot, not to divulge the true identity of the prankster. When their second anniversary rolled around, I blew up a 10" X 14" photo of a Dorito chip for them... on their first real date, they went on a picnic, and ended up jokingly exchanging tokens of their newfound love, one of which was a Dorito chip. I inscribed a cryptic message on the photo, something about what things can lead to a successful marriage, and that for $20 I'd reveal the secret to a lifetime of happiness. I sent it to them about a week before their anniversary, as I didn't know whether or not I was gonna make it up north for the holidays.

I did get some time off, and went up north. We did manage to get together while I was there, and the former nun was preggers w/ her first child; but was it his first? Boy was that a fun conversation. I finally copped to the wrath of Father's Day cards, which BTW, I repeated to a lesser degree earlier that second year. They initially begged off on the $20 secret, so I started to tell the losers' version of the $10 married before 30 wedding date bet....

While the studly groom picked up on what was happening, Sister Preggy hadn't caught on yet. I then rather quickly got the $20 during a hasty pow wow w/ the groom that he dragged me to in another room, w/ an agreement to stick to the original wedding day obfuscation. Also found out that when blown up that big, people easily mistake a Dorito chip for a slice of cheese pizza. Who knew? (FYI, I actually had made two prints of the oversized Dorito chip, and had mounted one on cardboard and cut it out, then attached it w/ a foam block about 3/8" above the background print on which I overburned the chip's image to (hopefully) resemble a shadow.) Went back in living room a made up some song and dance about exchanging gifts on first dates, and clarifying that the pizza was a Dorito chip IRL.

Fast forward another dozen+ years, the happy couple have two pretty good sized kids, they've moved a couple of times, and now they're in their dream house. I go for a visit, and we're reminiscing.... and in the course of the conversation, everything comes tumbling out. The $10 married-before-30 bets, the wedding itself timed to win the bets, paying $20 to keep it secret. Now, they've been married almost fifty years, are grandparents, and still living in their dream house.

Pranks beget pranks.
==
Posted by: saintyohann
Date: October 03, 2020 09:26PM
As some of you know, I used to work for Apple at a few stores in Southern California and Hawaii.

We had a manager that would always disappear into the office for hours. He was a great guy, but you ended up doing everything for yourself and if one of the security alarms went off, it could be awhile to get him out to disarm it.

So as a prank I borrowed one of the security alarm boxes from another store (so his key couldn't disarm it), and mounted it behind the door to the office rigged to go off when the door closed. When he was about ready to do his disappearing act, I turned off the lights in the office and closed the door.

Never got in trouble or even talked to about it.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: October 03, 2020 09:37PM
Does this count?

The link goes a page (not suitable for work) that documents one of the adventures of the San Francisco Suicide Club. We all spent the night together so we could ride the first cable car on Easter Sunday morning. At a pre-arranged stop we all disrobed to pose for some photos.

I guess you could say the prank was on the poor cable-car operators who had to wait for us to finish posing. They didn't seem to mind that much, though. The event also created a great postcard.

Todd's much-more-boring-these-days keyboard
Posted by: rz
Date: October 04, 2020 04:44PM
Back in college (mid 80s), we were running Unix. By default, everyone's home directory was setup to be readable by anyone else (not sure why they did this). Us CompSci majors knew better and protected our accounts. There were a couple of jerks who were a year younger than me who were hacker-wannabes. They got into trouble several times, once actually managing to bring the whole network down. I noticed they were going into other people's accounts reading stuff, so I devised a plan.

I put a file in my home directory called "password". It was a text file, that looked like a note to someone. It said something like "Bob, in order to get my password, run such-and-such program from my account. Don't tell anyone what it is!". The file was a shell script that did the following: pop up a message saying "System busy, try again later", changed to the user's home directory and deleted all their files, and finally send me an email with that's user's name.

Sure enough, about a week later, I get an email from one of the losers with just his username in it. The trap had worked. In fact, I got several emails because he kept running it, thinking the system was too busy. The last email was from the guy asking what the hell I did. All his files were gone and he had a big project due the next day. I waited until the next afternoon to reply, telling him if he wanted his files back he'd need to go ask one of the operators to restore his files (they did nightly backups).

Amazingly, the guy never tried to retaliate, and actually seemed to respect me for getting him. I figure the guy's probably in jail, or living in his parent's basement.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 04, 2020 08:23PM
Back in the 70s' I was working at a paper and got into a prank battle with a few other photographers. One in particular got to be real good at not getting caught, so I took him as a challenge.

I bided my time and watched his habits. Those were the days of b/w film developing and we had a room for just that purpose. I finally noticed a habit only he had. After putting his film in the developing tank, he would reach across and turn on the inspection light instead of the overhead lights. It was an old 8x10 darkroom light with a piece of white plexiglass in place of amber safelight. It used a standard 40-watt bulb. I swapped out the bulb for a GE#22B flashbulb, which were essentially standard bulbs filled with filament.

He came in, went in the developing room, shut the door, and started loading film - all in complete darkness, giving his eyes plenty of time to get accustomed to the dark. When he flipped on the inspection light, you could see the light all around the door.

Bob saw a blue dot for the next few hours.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: October 07, 2020 06:50PM
Back in the mid 80's I worked at a huge auto assembly plant cranking out Buicks. I worked in a sub assembly department assembling dashboards. It was a rather large dept. with about 50 employees, many who were women.

I had just got an Atari ST with a new dot matrix printer and was playing with it and made a sign from a t-shirt I saw a few years earlier. It said "Mustache rides for 25 cents" It had a pic of a proper gentleman with a top hat and monocle.

Lunch was about over and I then taped it to the front of a friends work table, where he couldn't see it. I got over a dozen women to stand in line when he got back from lunch. They were all rowdy acting and were tapping their quarters on his metal work table.

Bill was confused. He didn't know WHAT the hell was going on! The whole department got a good laugh out of that one.

He did retaliate later, by loading my gloves up with white grease. And yes, I did grab one and put my hand in it ready to go to work.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020