advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Verizon thinks I should switch plans, from a 5GB to a 5GB
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 04, 2020 10:31AM
Same price, same features, different name. Thanks?

Actually I guess it would be different. I think mine's an individual plan and the other's a shared one. We have another Verizon line for the kids' iPhone (we are cruel parents and make them share one phone) that would be good to switch over if possible. That one's an original iPhone SE costing like $30/mo for service but it has essentially no data allowance. Gotta look into why our options are.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Verizon thinks I should switch plans, from a 5GB to a 5GB
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: October 04, 2020 10:44AM
Use Visible instead. Same network, unlimited everything (even tethering), and much cheaper. I put my dad on our Visible plan and dropped his monthly rate by more than half from Verizon. They were ripping him off with overage charges every month.

[www.visible.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2020 11:06AM by Will Collier.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 04, 2020 10:48AM

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: sekker
Date: October 04, 2020 10:49AM
AT&T tried to do this a few years ago. Before I switched, I had it in writing that my costs would NOT go up and 'should' drop $10/month if we kept the same data usage. Just an 'update' to enable me to select some future services etc.

First month, went up $20/month.

Called them, they initially refused to 1) lower the cost or 2) move me back.

I held the line and made them 'undo' to keep me on my grandfathered plan that goes back to having an original iPhone. Key was I had the written promise this change would not be more expensive etc.

In the end, I realize they wanted to charge more for the 4th and 5th lines (we have 5 on my plan), and I can potentially add 6th and more if I wanted to based on the terms I signed. This was an attempt to force my sister off her line, something they gladly supported when she signed up more than a few years ago.

Up to you, but the odds will never be in your favor in these kind of changes.
Posted by: Microman
Date: October 04, 2020 10:58AM
We have 7 on a family plan with T-Mobile. Bill is like $213 a month. Or for 3 something around $92-$93.

5Gigs of Data, but I don't really need much or use that much
Date: October 04, 2020 11:14AM
deckeda
... Gotta look into why our options are.

They've disabled the ability to do that online. Effing asshats.

Sent a password reset, but because their glorious network isn't stellar, there's a several-minute delay from when she gets the text confirmation and then relays that back to me. Gonna have to wait until she comes back with the phone and I can go into the store.

So I'm able to change the password online, but after logging into the account it asks for the security answer because it doesn't recognize my Mac. Well I have no idea what the security answer is, so it asks me for the account PIN --- which I know --- but they don't care and ANOTHER password reset is automatically done. Idiots.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 04, 2020 12:06PM
Will Collier
Use Visible instead. Same network, unlimited everything (even tethering), and much cheaper. I put my dad on our Visible plan and dropped his monthly rate by more than half from Verizon. They were ripping him off with overage charges every month.

[www.visible.com]

Again the caveat is if you live in a place where the network get a lot of traffic, as in seasonal visitors or during an emergency (ie natural disaster). Under those conditions, "depriortization" will mean that Visible customers may be left with beach balls instead of service.

As an example, our town routinely expands from a regular population of 20K to more than 100k during holidays and busy weekends. This summer, we were swamped all summer long. Regular Verizon service slowed to a crawl at times, and second tier phone plans became useless.

In nearby Reno, toward the south end of town, where growth has been phenomenal, Verizon cannot keep up. You can have 5 bars all day long but not be able to get an email.

So for now, we keep the premium Verizon plan and look for other ways to save money. Right now, not going out to eat, not going to movies or other events is making it easy.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: October 04, 2020 12:12PM
Will Collier

[www.visible.com]

Tempted ... Currently for just me I'd save $20/month. With me and the kids' phone it'd be the same savings ($35x2 with Visible, or $60+$30 as we both are today with VZN) ... except that second phone would now have plenty of data instead of 500MB.

I think the wife pays the $65 + taxes for VZN's unlimited plan, so that would then drop the Visible to $30x3. $90 to run 3 phones seems like a good deal ... enough to pay for a 4th phone after a while.

The kid phone is a pre-paid plan ... need to check to see if the phone would have to be turned in or something, I can't remember. But I thought I paid (something) for it. This was over 24 months ago.
Posted by: d4
Date: October 04, 2020 12:30PM
Switching from Verizon to Total Wireless (Verizon MVNO) saved me $100 a month for 2 unlimited lines for my wife and I. I should've switched years ago. Total Wireless prepaid cards are available at Target. Use Target Red card for an additional 5% savings every month. Load up on cards when they have sales. (You can easily "bank" them in your account). Paying roughly $55 a month for 2 unlimited lines with Total Wireless.

Date: October 04, 2020 01:18PM
Markintosh
Again the caveat is if you live in a place where the network get a lot of traffic, as in seasonal visitors or during an emergency (ie natural disaster). Under those conditions, "depriortization" will mean that Visible customers may be left with beach balls instead of service.

As an example, our town routinely expands from a regular population of 20K to more than 100k during holidays and busy weekends. This summer, we were swamped all summer long. Regular Verizon service slowed to a crawl at times, and second tier phone plans became useless.

In nearby Reno, toward the south end of town, where growth has been phenomenal, Verizon cannot keep up. You can have 5 bars all day long but not be able to get an email.

So for now, we keep the premium Verizon plan and look for other ways to save money. Right now, not going out to eat, not going to movies or other events is making it easy.

Haven't run into that yet, but then again we switched over in the early spring, and haven't been anywhere where it's an issue since. We were on another MVNO for the last couple of years (T-Mobile network) and never had a problem, even at big sporting events. If there's ever another one of those, I guess we'll find out...
Date: October 04, 2020 01:20PM
deckeda
Tempted ... Currently for just me I'd save $20/month. With me and the kids' phone it'd be the same savings ($35x2 with Visible, or $60+$30 as we both are today with VZN) ... except that second phone would now have plenty of data instead of 500MB.

I think the wife pays the $65 + taxes for VZN's unlimited plan, so that would then drop the Visible to $30x3. $90 to run 3 phones seems like a good deal ... enough to pay for a 4th phone after a while.

The kid phone is a pre-paid plan ... need to check to see if the phone would have to be turned in or something, I can't remember. But I thought I paid (something) for it. This was over 24 months ago.

The good news is, it's close to painless now to switch carriers again if you go to a new provider but wind up not liking the service. Much much easier than the bad old days when you were de facto tied to the original phone reseller.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: October 04, 2020 02:50PM
Go with the 5GB plan rather than the 5GB plan. You won't regret it.
You're welcome.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: October 04, 2020 04:42PM
I went with T-mobile for me and my family; we went from a shared data plan to unlimited. We are now saving money compared to Verizon each month. I haven't detected any noticeable difference in speeds or coverage in NY/PA.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 06, 2020 09:00AM
Also switched my three lines from Cricket to Visible...Cricket was annoying in that you had to have the highest end plan & also only allowed certain phones to tether...not a problem with Visible.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020