advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Yay! Crummy AT&T DSL is DEAD!! Nooo! What about rural broadband??
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 05, 2020 12:29PM
I'm so torn!

[www.usatoday.com]

On Oct. 1, AT&T stopped selling digital-subscriber-line connections, stranding many existing subscribers on those low-speed links and leaving new residents of DSL-only areas without any wired broadband.

“We’re beginning to phase out outdated services like DSL and new orders for the service will no longer be supported after October 1,” a corporate statement sent beforehand read. “Current DSL customers will be able to continue their existing service or where possible upgrade to our 100% fiber network.”

DSL – a broadband connection delivered over old copper telephone lines – is no prize at AT&T. The company doesn’t sell downloads faster than 6 Mbps, less than a fourth of the 25-Mbps minimum definition of the Federal Communications Commission and further cramps their utility with stringent data caps of just 150 gigabytes...

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Yay! Crummy AT&T DSL is DEAD!! Nooo! What about rural broadband??
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 05, 2020 12:38PM
Great... another couple dozen students at the school I work for probably just lost internet...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 05, 2020 12:45PM
Paul F.
Great... another couple dozen students at the school I work for probably just lost internet...

The way I read it was that they're not taking new orders but existing service will continue to work. Of course the writing is on the wall for them to end it completely.

Looks like I'll never be able to get it at my house, when they finally made it available the speed they were quoting was 3mb/s, and one of their repair techs said that I would be lucky getting 1mb/s when he was here working on my POTS lines. StarLink is now looking like it will eventually be my only alternative to Comcast when coverage reaches me.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 05, 2020 01:05PM
What happens to small companies that were using ATT lines? I have friends using Windstream DSL that is on ATT lines.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 05, 2020 01:37PM
What happens to small companies that were using ATT lines?

I was just wondering the same thing.

Sonic is my ISP, and they use ATT lines.

I just called them, and they seem to think that this shouldn't affect them, but that DSL will be doing away at some point.

Fiber is there big product at 1000/1000mbps but that's not coming to me.

'It could happen'. yeah right.

So I'm going for the Double DSL and improve my throughput while it lasts.

What cabling is used for att's infrastructure, cable vs DSL?

If its separate cabling between poles, I imagine att will stop doing maintenance once they stop supporting the service altogether.

Two for two, I'm good now.

We are a government of laws, not men.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: October 05, 2020 02:21PM
My mom still has ATT DSL

I've tested her speed - she gets about 2.5 mbps

Surprisingly she can Zoom, Skype, WebEx and Google Meet without any major issues

However, I use Anydesk to remote into her Mac to help her with IT issues when I can't make it over to her house and that connection IS painfully slow

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.com]

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 05, 2020 02:36PM
Hopefully existing customers will be covered until Starlink becomes useable.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: October 05, 2020 02:59PM
Ombligo
Hopefully existing customers will be covered until Starlink becomes useable.

No kidding, @#$%& these mega-ISP’s pretending to offer competition and cheap Internet.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 05, 2020 03:21PM
AT&T is offering line-of-sight wireless signal sent from atop of their existing towers called something like "stationary wireless." I'm not sure that's the name. It's around $90 a month.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: October 05, 2020 03:44PM
It’s called Fixed Wireless, it’s at least 10 Mbps, and it’s $60/mo for 250 GB. When your only choices are that or Highesnet/Viasat, it’s not a bad choice.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 05, 2020 05:05PM
I have no experience (actually, hadn't even heard of it until this thread) but here is AT&T's fixed wireless: [www.att.com]

Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 05, 2020 10:21PM
Aw, AT&T (uh, BellSouth) was our first high speed Internet. 1.5Mbps, and fiber in the neighborhood. The tech was the speed limitation. If we were a copper neighborhood it would have been faster. They were still providing that when Comcast woke up and began courting us. Took the Deathstar a few years to offer U-Verse, and only with video service. I heard that after we moved you could get IP-only service.

We’ve come full circle; the local co-op sells IP service, now with fiber to the pole but not to the house; but it’s still faster than the all-copper setup was. And ... we’re back to having no cable option.
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 05, 2020 10:41PM
Compared to most of the rest of the developed world, we are so screwed for internet access.

Maybe I should move to Finland.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 06, 2020 06:30AM
Loved it...it was dirt-cheap ($10/month) as a merger condition for 1.5 MBps down.

Then after the above agreement expired the price gradually increased to $50/month, at which point I switched to much faster cable broadband for less money.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: October 06, 2020 09:00AM
This may make cable internet to increase in cost, due to less competition. Until 5G and StarLink make inroads.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 06, 2020 10:47AM
Only reason Comcast here is giving better speeds, at the same inflated rates they had got to systemwide, is competition with the municipal service started about 3 years ago. That service added TV late last year. $39 for 30/30 Mbps service, haven't looked at the TV service add-on pricing.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 06, 2020 05:55PM
I was just thinking about AT&T service here. I remember how excited I was when U-Verse was first rolling out in my neighborhood. Now it seems so meh. I think I started with internet at 6Mbps, later went to 12Mbps and currently at 25/5. They have one higher tier but I might be too far from the VRAD to get it. But I never tried because 25/5 is plenty fast for me.

I had ADSL (non-U-Verse DSL) at some point, too, before U-Verse was available. I think it was 6Mbps and that was as high as it went.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 06, 2020 09:13PM
.....what about....damebrand......????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020