advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
All things being equal, would you rather have an older or younger doctor, dentist, lawyer, accountant, broker, carpenter, etc?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 07, 2020 01:26PM
I'm considering changing from a 72-year-old doctor to a 45-year-old one. I'm throwing the others in the conversation just to see what everyone thinks. I'd definitely want an older lawyer and carpenter.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: All things being equal, would you rather have an older or younger doctor, dentist, lawyer, accountant, broker, carpenter, etc?
Posted by: modelamac
Date: October 07, 2020 01:49PM
Age is not a determining factor.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Re: All things being equal, would you rather have an older or younger doctor, dentist, lawyer, accountant, broker, carpenter, etc?
Posted by: Bixby
Date: October 07, 2020 02:08PM
If all things were equal, why would it matter?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 07, 2020 02:10PM
All things being equal, 40 to 65. But all things are almost never equal!
Posted by: d4
Date: October 07, 2020 02:12PM
Old pizza maker.

Di Fara Pizza
Brooklyn, NY

Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: October 07, 2020 02:47PM
I’ve always been an old soul and finished school early, so I hated when people would discriminate against me based on my young age. I was very skilled taking care of patients even as a teen, and I had a major passion for it.

That said, I switched to a younger physician of my own gender recently... I am happy with my other physicians being much older than me, but mine was kind of... not progressive or open minded. I relate to this one much more, and she is just less "stuck".

Modern education is great on one hand, and so is years of experience. I think there are benefits to older and younger professionals.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 07, 2020 02:55PM
For physicians, this data is well documented. A 40-45 year old woman is likely to be the best mix of recent training and experience.

Surgeons tend to take a little longer.
Date: October 07, 2020 02:59PM
What lead to this post is what RecipeForDisater mentioned: My 72-year-old Doctor is not progressive at all. He doesn't do "thinking outside the box," and he doesn't consider "what if" questions. He has fallen into a routine after ten years.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: October 07, 2020 03:01PM
anonymouse1
All things being equal, 40 to 65. But all things are almost never equal!

I agree with the age range.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: October 07, 2020 03:33PM
I prefer older and wiser but they don’t always go hand in hand. Overall I want someone who can understand me. I’ve had several young doctors who just stared at a computer screen and probably have no idea what I even look like.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: October 07, 2020 03:33PM
My preference is for younger medical professionals. IMHO, there is a better chance that will be more up to date on the latest best practices.

I'm strongly biased to having a female dentist for the simple reason that the average female hand is smaller than the average male's hand. Mouths have a lot of tight spaces in which to work.

Todd's moden, whizz-bang, electronic keyboard
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: October 07, 2020 03:49PM
Older age implies greater experience, but that could just mean doing the same dumb things over and over for many years. Younger people may well have greater technical knowledge, and more willingness to try new things.

An important issue in my mind concerns the question of judgment, and quite frankly many young people (including my younger self) seem to have crap judgment. YMMV...

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 07, 2020 04:04PM
.....hot.....to....trot.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: October 07, 2020 04:06PM
I would prefer an older lawyer for sure.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 07, 2020 05:23PM
Generally, I prefer experience - the more the better, but when you older bookkeeper suddenly retires, it's a shock to the system.

In medical, I might lean toward younger.
Posted by: fauch
Date: October 07, 2020 05:28PM
Depends on what the issue was. If it is something technical that someone older would have more trouble with, obviously younger. But if it is something that the extra experience could better diagnose and treat, for sure the older one. Basically the most experienced as long as they are still in their prime.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 07, 2020 06:05PM
In theory a younger professional for potentially more flexible thinking but my Dr. who just retired (so, older) had a far more rational view of things than most people I've met. So really, it's down to the individual.

Though younger means maybe they don't retire before I die, so there's that.
Posted by: davester
Date: October 07, 2020 06:47PM
I want the best one. Things are never equal

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: rz
Date: October 07, 2020 07:01PM
Our family doctor is in his 60s. He's very sought after and he is really good. Wife won't even see anyone else in his office. He takes a lot of time with each patient, so he doesn't see as many as the other doctors, and he hasn't accepted new patients in a long time.

Wife just had shoulder surgery, and the office is a father/son pair of doctors. She refuses to see the son because she didn't like how he treated her (minimizing her issues). The father is well-known for shoulders and wrists (she's also had wrist surgery). He's also willing to listen to his patients.

I've had both young and old doctors, men and women, for some issues I've had. Age and sex have no bearing on my opinion of them. I just want the doctor who is considered the best. Sometimes they're old. Sometimes young. Sometimes a man, sometimes a woman.

Our son's pediatrician was a youngish woman. We loved her. But unfortunately she moved to an office kinda far. We found another doctor in the office (middle aged man) who we like too.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 07, 2020 08:33PM
I would not have an issue with a young doctor, as long as they have dealt with a reasonable percentage of patients/clients in my age range for several years.

Same thing for the other professions.

My dentist of 4 years retired and two younger ones expanded their practice to consume the one I was in. Both seem fine, but they are not just out of school.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 07, 2020 09:01PM
In my experience, for day-to-day anyone out of his/her residency is probably okay, but I've found (in my limited experience) that women in their 30s and 40s tend to be more contemplative and thorough and I like that in a GP. If all I had to go on was age and gender, that would guide me.

For specialty work, the judgment of older doctors is usually better than younger doctors, but when things go wrong younger doctors have a little more flexibility in coming up with options. So... Do you have an ailment that would benefit from the judgment of an older doctor? Do you have a course of treatment that you're unhappy with and would like some new options? Maybe let the answers to those questions guide your choice.

Date: October 08, 2020 04:01PM
I just heard that my 72-year-old doctor probably has Alzheimer's or some sort of dementia.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 160
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020