advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"I Just Found Out Canned Pumpkin Isn't Pumpkin At All, And My Whole Life is Basically a Lie"
Posted by: DP
Date: October 08, 2020 05:07PM
My favorite season is closing in on us (and by closing in, I mean temperatures here in Alabama are still in the 90's, but I'm sure fall is coming anyyy day now). Autumn, I love you--your cool weather, your clothes, your football players, oh, and especially your food.

Pumpkin puree: You know, the canned orange stuff that's lining the supermarket walls right now? The stuff you use to make all your favorite fall desserts that's labeled "100% pumpkin"?! Yes, well, it's actually made from 100% not pumpkin. The mix is made from a variety of winter squash (think butternut, Golden Delicious, Hubbard, and more). Libby's, the brand that produces about 85% of the country's canned "pumpkin" filling, has actually developed a certain variety of squash that they grow, package, and distribute to supermarkets across the country--all the while fooling innocent, trusting consumers into believing they're eating a pumpkin.

What I'm telling you is, you've basically been eating butternut squash pie, squash bread, and drinking SQUASH FREAKING SPICE LATTES this entire time.

[www.myrecipes.com]

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "I Just Found Out Canned Pumpkin Isn't Pumpkin At All, And My Whole Life is Basically a Lie"
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 08, 2020 05:27PM
We started (ok, really my friend that I cook Thanksgiving with) making pumpkin pies from scratch (using real pumpkins) years ago and this explains the difference in taste!

But, I will say it's a slight difference. It wouldn't stop me from making or eating a Libby's pumpkin pie on my own!
Re: "I Just Found Out Canned Pumpkin Isn't Pumpkin At All, And My Whole Life is Basically a Lie"
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 08, 2020 05:27PM
And here's the full article, since the link above is for the recipe: [www.myrecipes.com]
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 08, 2020 05:38PM
do they label it pumpkin? i always check ingredients. seems they should not legally be allowed to if it's a mix.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 08, 2020 05:47PM
There are HUGE leaps in logic in just the quoted section of that article.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2020 10:01PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 08, 2020 05:49PM
Being allergic to the entire squash family...I had to stop eating "pumpkin" pie about 10 years ago. Fortunately I have discovered that I can make a sweet potato pie that is just about as good....not even in the gourd family.

emoticon-animal-022

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Pam
Date: October 08, 2020 06:03PM
I knew. Unfortunately Libby no longer uses only Dickinson squash. The label and calorie count changed late last year. My stomach informed me of the change. So now I use Walmart’s brand. A better option is Trader Joe’s canned pumpkin. Wish they sold it year around.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 08, 2020 06:13PM
I use sweet potatoes.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 08, 2020 06:23PM
Dennis S
I use sweet potatoes.

My Mother used to try pull that one over on us because sweet potatoes were cheap, never liked it.

Grateful11
Posted by: DP
Date: October 08, 2020 06:24PM
Gareth
And here's the full article, since the link above is for the recipe: [www.myrecipes.com]

Sorry!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 08, 2020 06:26PM
Their website only lists one ingredient, Pumpkin.

[www.nestleprofessional.us]

Grateful11
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 08, 2020 06:49PM
Grateful11
Dennis S
I use sweet potatoes.

My Mother used to try pull that one over on us because sweet potatoes were cheap, never liked it.

I can't tell the difference. Sweet potatoes seem more "down home" to me.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 08, 2020 06:55PM
There is no definitive "real pumpkin", all varieties are members of the winter squash family. Makers of pumpkin puree have been substituting pulp from other closely related winter squash varieties for a long time.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 08, 2020 07:08PM
......and olive oil doesn't always have 'olive oil' in it.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: October 08, 2020 07:18PM
I once made pumpkin pie from scratch. To my tastebuds, it was identical to the same recipe using canned. It was so much more work, that I returned to using canned pumpkin.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 08, 2020 07:30PM
Dennis S
I use sweet potatoes.

Pumpkin pie is what ya’ll white folk eat. yuuuuccckk! it’s a mere shadow of good ole Sweet Potato Pie! pumpkin is not allowed in my house. i buy real canned pumpkin to keep my dog regular.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2020 07:31PM by graylocks.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 08, 2020 07:53PM
I buy the LostDough pumpkin pies. Even less work.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 08, 2020 08:04PM
Class Action Lawsuit in 3.... 2.... 1....

(and I'll take Sweet Potato Pie any day)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 08, 2020 08:17PM
And cinnamon isn't REALLY cinnamon, either!

[www.10best.com]
Posted by: davester
Date: October 08, 2020 08:26PM
Pie filling out of a can is an abomination!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Pam
Date: October 08, 2020 08:35PM
sekker

[www.10best.com]

I use Ceylon cinnamon. Good stuff.
Date: October 08, 2020 08:43PM
Pam
sekker

[www.10best.com]

I use Ceylon cinnamon. Good stuff.

Yikes. Glad I use cinnamon sticks and not ground cinnamon. How many other ground spices are fake I wonder.

My general philosophy in buying food is that if a major "food" corporation's name is on the box then it is probably an adulterated product containing cheap fillers that don't qualify as food.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2020 08:44PM by davester.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: October 08, 2020 08:54PM

JoeM
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 08, 2020 08:57PM
I'm going to wait for my $0.37 lawsuit settlement check for all of those years of having the pumpkin pulled over my eyes.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: October 08, 2020 09:00PM
And all you city-slickers need to stop calling sweet potatoes 'yams'.
They're not the same.
old fogey smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Acer
Date: October 08, 2020 09:07PM
My wife has a super easy method to bake whole pumpkin.

She does NOT scoop anything out or cut it up. She keeps it whole, coats it in oil, puts it in cake pan (it sheds juice) and bakes it at 450 for an hour or two until soft. Then she cuts it up with a butter knife and removes the shell and the seeds. It's about as effortless as it can be.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 09, 2020 09:23AM
Ombligo
Class Action Lawsuit in 3.... 2.... 1....

(and I'll take Sweet Potato Pie any day)

The FDA considers a bunch of squashes as pumpkins. From what I've been told, the majority of pumpkin pies were and have been made using squash and not pumpkin for years.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: October 09, 2020 10:09AM
I can handle maybe 4-5 pieces of pumpkin pie per season.

I always thought they were made with real pumpkin. dunno smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Janit
Date: October 09, 2020 10:30AM
JoeH
There is no definitive "real pumpkin", all varieties are members of the winter squash family. Makers of pumpkin puree have been substituting pulp from other closely related winter squash varieties for a long time.

There are several varieties of squash that are popularly referred to as "pumpkins," mostly based on their shape and hardness, and less so based on their color. Some of these "pumpkin" varieties are more closely related to varieties commonly called "squashes" than they are to each other.

"Pumpkin" is more of an emotional construct than a biological one. If the fruit has the taste you want, then go with it.

Or perhaps someone can start an artisanal pumpkin movement.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 09, 2020 10:39AM

Or perhaps someone can start an artisanal pumpkin movement.

I'll locate this next to the mayonnaise shop in Brooklyn.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 09, 2020 11:56AM
Next up - those black pepper seeds may be papaya seeds. They look and taste alike and are cheaper.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: October 09, 2020 04:00PM
"Everything you know is wrong" - Firesign Theater, 1974

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 404
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020