advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Air pods as hearing aid?
Posted by: abevilac
Date: October 10, 2020 12:53PM
Anyone use current generation AirPods as an aid to hearing for low level hearing problems? Or, something else?
Thanks.

PS Costco has them for $199.
[www.costco.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2020 12:54PM by abevilac.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Air pods as hearing aid?
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 10, 2020 12:58PM
$199 is a GREAT price for that technology.

I would say that the hardware IS capable of serving as hearing aids - basically the built-in chips enable ear-specific amplification - do not need to send the signal to the iPhone for processing then sending back. That latency is what makes most consumer tech not useful as it puts the sound and lips off sync.

The other issue is battery life. The iPods Pro are not all-day. But they are easy to recharge if you bring the carrying case.

I need to update my iPhone to test. But I suspect they are the first gen of many, many in the near future.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: October 10, 2020 01:56PM
I was reading about this a couple of months ago and got the impression that using air pods as hearing aids is a very promising technology. But at the present time, a regular aid that connects to your phone via Bluetooth has some advantages: incoming calls go directly into your ear so you can hear better and talk hands free. You can control the settings on your hearing aid from your phone. Standard aids also have a much longer battery time (for me, about 4-5 days).

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2020 01:58PM by Ammo.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 10, 2020 09:33PM
The 'Phone has an option that allows you to set it in a central location, say a dinner table, and use its mic to feed the AirPods.

I suppose it would work with the 'Phone in a shirt pocket, too.

I've got a BT comm unit on my motorcycle helmet for bike to bike communication. or listening to music and Maps.

It also has a button that switches the mic to my helmet speakers allowing me to hear speech more clearly.

I can keep my hat on.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 10, 2020 11:57PM
While searching to understand more about this feature I found this article and video very informative.

[www.hearingtracker.com]
[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: abevilac
Date: October 11, 2020 07:34AM
Thanks — the videos were very helpful.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 11, 2020 08:57AM
Those were really interesting videos.

The occlusion effect with AirPods Pro is possibly a good thing, given the strong acoustic seal.

So many people talk louder with headphones, not so much with hearing aids, at least in my direct observations.

This may be less of or a non-issue in transparency mode, I have no idea.

Both of those videos proceed the Spatial Audio update, and I'm wondering if that works when using the APP as hearing aids, or if it only works with devices, or only iDevices.

The idea would be to increase localization of sounds.

Anyway, it all makes me wish I could wear APP.

But the guy in the first video mentioned ordering (but not testing) memory foam ear tips.

If they actually fit APP, that would be worth my trying them again.

I had to return them as they hurt my ears after awhile, and the more I wore them, the quicker pain ensued, and to a greater degree, polar opposites of AP2, which I love.

Memory foam tips bear looking into.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: October 11, 2020 12:42PM
Just as an aside, I use my Phonak bluetooth hearing aids as AirPods. They connect to my phone by bluetooth for both calls, music, etc. I almost never have to take the phone out of my pocket.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 11, 2020 01:38PM
just ordered a pair of Airpod Pro from Costco. Am very interested to see how/if this helps my menieres affected hearing.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020