advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Been shopping for a 2015 15" MacBook Pro...
Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 20, 2020 12:06AM
But I think I'm going to give up for a while. Decent condition machines are going for $800+ and I'd like to keep it below $600. Yes, I know I'm a bit of a dreamer, but that's because I don't need it; I have a perfectly-fine mid-2012. I'm not even sure why I am looking to upgrade.

I have seen 2015s with no drive *and* no battery go for $700. The same for machines with serious screen delamination problems. Some people are nuts.

I might back up a little and consider late-2013s. Those seem to be going for less and I believe they are also good machines. The downside with 2013s is they're no longer supported by Apple.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Been shopping for a 2015 15" MacBook Pro...
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 20, 2020 12:29AM
If you want one that supports 4k, you may need to get one with a video card, not just integrated Intel video. I think not all of them supported 4k.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 20, 2020 12:51AM
They were easy to get for $500 back in february - those days are GONE.

For a while...

I suddenly realized that it's time to replace my 2013 mbp, but not in this price environment.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 20, 2020 01:39AM
anonymouse1
If you want one that supports 4k, you may need to get one with a video card, not just integrated Intel video. I think not all of them supported 4k.

My 2015 13" MBP will drive two 4K monitors with its integrated graphics.
Posted by: p8712
Date: October 20, 2020 08:02AM
I have one of these that I bought as a refurbished feel from Apple. It is my newest, best Mac, and is an excellent machine overall. I specifically chose one with integrated graphics. It handles 4K just fine. No problems plug-in and EGPU either. I still have another years worth of AppleCare left on it. But yeah hold off a little longer in the Apple Silicon will be out and intel will likely go down a bit.
Posted by: samintx
Date: October 20, 2020 08:42AM
One I had went bad but still had one in the wings. Love theses machines.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 20, 2020 08:59AM
Yeah, it was late and I was tired.
I'm not sure if that's true for the 2014 and 2013 integrated graphics; just a warning to make sure if someone buys one of those.

freeradical
anonymouse1

My 2015 13" MBP will drive two 4K monitors with its integrated graphics.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 20, 2020 09:35AM
Yea, I picked up a 2.8GHz dual graphics, 1TB for $730+tax back in May. Since I was going to put my 4TB NVMe SSD in anyway, I sold the Apple 1TB to net almost $200 back, which made it an ok price in my book.

But it had a little chip in the screen which I didn't notice, so I've since bought a back-up ($600+tax, 2.8/DG/500GB) and a "parts" machine (low end model, $477+tax)... Swapped screens with the parts machine and hopefully a new battery will get it running and I can flip it for my costs.

The Late 2013 is a fine model also. That's what I had before, and I really only upgraded because the 2015's have better M.2 NVMe compatibility (although the Late 2013's may do better with newer NVMe drives - the original NVMe I had would crash the computer after deep hibernation, so that had to be disabled). And honestly, coming from a 2012, you'll find the trackpad on the Late 2013 more similar. I don't particularly like the 2015 trackpad. And after selling the Late 2013, my 2015 upgrade was about $0 (not counting the screen issue - TBD). So, remember that your mid-2012 has higher value too.

I've found that other marketplaces are a good place to keep an eye out for deals. The $600 one I got was from intelliotech (seller) on Mercari, and I've seen some others sell for ok prices there (but rare and sell quick so you have to set up alerts and pay attention to them!). I bought the $600 one within minutes of the listing, I believe.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 21, 2020 01:20AM
Thanks, everyone, especially Gareth.

I hadn't even thought of other sales venues (just ebay and CL) so I'll check them out.

How difficult is the screen swap or replacement? I'm sure I can find videos. I just hope it's not like having to replace the keyboard because the E or Return key doesn't work... the keyboard is the very last part you get to after taking everything else apart. I do see a fair amount of machines with broken screens at a much more reasonable price.

And while I'm ranting, what is with those ebay sellers who list a bunch of MBPs with a description of "Only tested to power on, no other functions checked"? If you're a computer shop selling a bunch of computers, why the hell would you not test them?! I suppose I should just consider anything listed like that to be too messed up to itemize the problems.

Date: October 21, 2020 11:22AM
AllGold
How difficult is the screen swap or replacement?.

Depends on your comfort level, but it's easy. It's just all the connectors (some tiny for the antennas) and various screws. (Note: easy assumes just an assembly swap - replacing the glass or just the panel would be way more difficult).

But, for the 2015's the replacement screens are still $$$, which is why I bought a "parts" machine. It's probably not worth it to buy a 2015 with a busted screen. A Late 2013 or 2014 might work out in that scenario as I believe they both use the same screen and the screens are a little cheaper. But it's not like the 2012 non-retinas and earlier where you can now buy a used screen for $40. Expect to be hundreds of dollars for replacement retina screens, and probably $500+ for 2015's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2020 11:23AM by Gareth.
Date: October 21, 2020 11:27AM
But if you're willing to put in the elbow grease, you can just remove the "staingate" coating completely (for the machines with serious screen delamination), or ship it off somewhere to do it for $75ish.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020