advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Am I missing something? Battery not charging with OWC TB dock.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: October 20, 2020 09:08AM
I'm sitting here with my new MBP. Literally got it a few weeks ago. I also replaced my old OWC thunderbolt dock with their new one b/c it supplies more power. Anyway, I've been sitting here all morning working and just noticed my battery level is 46%. I click on the battery icon in the menubar and it says "Battery is not charging".

Am I missing something here? B/c right now, it looks like my battery is eventually going to just die while the machine is plugged in.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Am I missing something? Battery not charging with OWC TB dock.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 20, 2020 09:26AM
Check Power settings to see how many watts are getting to the laptop.
Date: October 20, 2020 09:31AM
sekker

Yeah. I don't know how to do that. Since I'm down to 26%, it looks like that would be NO watts.

Going to see if I can rustle up a different cable. Even though I'm using the Belkin that apple sells.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2020 09:31AM by bazookaman.
Date: October 20, 2020 09:32AM
Is it going to hurt anything if I plug in my ACTUAL apple power adapter into one of the other TB ports?

Posted by: WHiiP
Date: October 20, 2020 09:38AM
Have you tried restarting yet?

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Date: October 20, 2020 09:49AM
I did earlier before I got to work. But I just shut down and restarted again. I found another 6 foot TB cable and tried that with the same result. The same cable that I KNOW works on our other MBP. I've got the power adapter plugged into another TB port for now so at least the battery charges. Which it IS doing.

So that means it's the OWC dock. Everything else works. I've got a displayport monitor, 4 USB devices, ethernet, and a second HDMI monitor all plugged into it and it works. Just doesn't seem to want to supply power.

Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 20, 2020 09:51AM
Have to ask the stupid question, but is your MBP connected to the correct TB3 port on the OWC dock? There's probably only one that will supply power delivery back to the MBP, and the other is meant for downstream TB3 devices and will only supply the TB3 power spec (which is 15W?).
Date: October 20, 2020 10:00AM
OWC
The dock's main Thunderbolt 3 port provides up to 85W of power to your notebook computer, while the secondary Thunderbolt 3 port provides Thunderbolt device chaining, USB 3.1 Gen 2 connectivity and display support.

So I have the Belkin 2M TB cable connected to the "main" port and my laptop. And I have a TB to HDMI adapter on the other one as it goes to the HDMI monitor.

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: October 20, 2020 10:10AM
This may sound silly, but be absolutely certain there's nothing obstructing either end of the cable (MacBook <--> Dock).

Had an issue with an older MacBook where something got into the power receptacle (MagSafe) on the MacBook and the laptop would not charge at all. Did a blow-out and applied some light toothbrush and then everything was fine.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Date: October 20, 2020 10:27AM
Zoidberg
This may sound silly, but be absolutely certain there's nothing obstructing either end of the cable (MacBook <--> Dock).

Had an issue with an older MacBook where something got into the power receptacle (MagSafe) on the MacBook and the laptop would not charge at all. Did a blow-out and applied some light toothbrush and then everything was fine.

I get it. Not silly. But I've tried both ports on the right side, with two different cables. Neither worked. However, when I plug the Apple power adapter into one of those same ports, I'm charging up.

Posted by: sekker
Date: October 20, 2020 10:41AM
bazookaman
sekker

Yeah. I don't know how to do that. Since I'm down to 26%, it looks like that would be NO watts.

Going to see if I can rustle up a different cable. Even though I'm using the Belkin that apple sells.

About This mac

System Report

Power

Scroll down

AC Charger Information:

Wattage (W):

Look for that number.

Also, it's possible the cable is an issue. Only some carry 100W.
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: October 20, 2020 10:46AM
Hi -

No, you can plug the Apple USB-C charger directly into the MacBook Pro while using the dock always if you need to augment power.

You should be plugging the MacBook Pro into the Thunderbolt 3 dock using the included cable, connecting to the Thunderbolt 3 connector on the back of the dock with the picture of the computer and the Thunderbolt icon above it. And then the best way to connect is to the frontmost Thunderbolt 3 connector on the left side of the MacBook Pro - that's the "first" device in the Thunderbolt hierarchy for the machine.

If still not working - try unplugging the power supply to the Thunderbolt 3 dock and see if that fixes it.

If no go - contact OWC Tech Support for further troubleshooting.
[eshop.macsales.com]

(you have tried turning the machine off and back on again, right?)

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2020 10:47AM by OWC Jamie.
Date: October 20, 2020 10:52AM
When the Apple power adapter is plugged in it read this:
Connected: Yes
ID: 0x1656
Wattage (W): 86
Family: 0xe000400a
Serial Number: C04709402RSGW85AY
Name: 87W USB-C Power Adapter
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Hardware Version: 1.0
Firmware Version: 1070069
Charging: Yes

When the OWC dock is plugged in it read this:
Connected: Yes
ID: 0x0000
Wattage (W): 15
Family: 0xe000400a
Charging: No

So that would appear to be the problem.

And this is the cable I have. It's rated to deliver 100W.

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 20, 2020 10:59AM
Ok, I'm going to ask the obvious dumb question.

You do have a power supply plugged into the dock, right?
Date: October 20, 2020 11:12AM
And you're plugged into the Thunderbolt 3 port with the computer icon next to it, right?

What machine is this you're connecting to the dock, by the way?

anonymouse1
Ok, I'm going to ask the obvious dumb question.

You do have a power supply plugged into the dock, right?

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Date: October 20, 2020 11:18AM
I would start with OWC Jamie's suggestions. Using the OWC included cable is a great way to narrow it down to the dock or the cable. I thought TB3 could only "officially" carry 100W on 0.8M cables or shorter, although there are a few cables advertising 100W on 2M cables now, so maybe the spec changed.

Another option to try, use the Belkin cable with the Apple adapter and see what happens. If you only get 15W (or less) that way, you know the Belkin cable is bad. But even if you get 86W, that only tells you that the cable can carry 100W over USB-C, not necessarily TB3.
Date: October 20, 2020 11:21AM
Talking to our head of PD, if it's showing 15W the upllink port is generally not being used smiling smiley

Gareth
I would start with OWC Jamie's suggestions. Using the OWC included cable is a great way to narrow it down to the dock or the cable. I thought TB3 could only "officially" carry 100W on 0.8M cables or shorter, although there are a few cables advertising 100W on 2M cables now, so maybe the spec changed.

Another option to try, use the Belkin cable with the Apple adapter and see what happens. If you only get 15W (or less) that way, you know the Belkin cable is bad. But even if you get 86W, that only tells you that the cable can carry 100W over USB-C, not necessarily TB3.

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Date: October 20, 2020 11:24AM
OWC Jamie
Talking to our head of PD, if it's showing 15W the upllink port is generally not being used smiling smiley

That was my first thought (way up in the thread)!
Date: October 20, 2020 01:10PM
Ugh. So I tried both ports on the dock. Two ports on the Mac. Two cables. Restarted. Shut down. Restarted again. In a variety of order. Went to lunch. Came back. Unplugged everything. Plugged it back in the way it was, and NOW it's working! Up to 100%.

Thanks, everyone.

Date: October 20, 2020 01:13PM
At least it's working smiling smiley

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: d4
Date: October 20, 2020 01:24PM
bazookaman
Unplugged everything. Plugged it back in the way it was...

Sounds like a possible cable issue and/or user error and/or a combination of the two.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2020 01:25PM by d4.
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: October 21, 2020 12:54AM
On the Dock - one TB Type-C port is for daisy-chain and only provides 15W.. the other is to the computer and provides 85W.

No matter what the Thunderbolt 3/4 device - all Thunderbolt 3 ports, when there are more one port, are required by spec to provide 15 Watts out minimum.

On prior models, it didn't matter. Apple from day #1 did the full thunderbolt implementation which also included dynamic power. Early Windows systems with TB3 did not. We are required to get both Mac and Windows certification now (used to be able to do just Mac)..... So now required to have a dedicated port for the high-power charging vs. either port being able to do it.

Anyway - glad you're charging along good now.

- OWC Larry

bazookaman
Ugh. So I tried both ports on the dock. Two ports on the Mac. Two cables. Restarted. Shut down. Restarted again. In a variety of order. Went to lunch. Came back. Unplugged everything. Plugged it back in the way it was, and NOW it's working! Up to 100%.

Thanks, everyone.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020