advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Gnocchi First Try Report
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: October 23, 2020 05:50PM
Piggly Wiggly had 14oz packets of Nocca-brand fresh gnocchi (little Italian tater dumplings, for those not familiar) marked down to 99 cents each in mini-size, whole wheat, and truffle flavor so I picked up two of each to try them. Tonight I tried the mini ones.

They really do cook in two minutes or so as the package says. The serving suggestion was to just use my favorite pasta sauce, which I did, but that wasn't particularly tasty. The Gnocchi have a faint under-flavor that clashes (in my mouth, at least) with regular old marinara and might be better with carbonara or pesto. That under-flavor seemed to cry out for something oily and/or salty to go with it.

So... not awful, but a long way from yummy with the caveat that a different sauce would almost certainly have suited the gnocchi better.

Edited to add: I'm having a senior moment trying to remember the name of the sauce that has butter, white wine, lemon juice, and capers in it and is usually served over chicken or veal, but that sauce, whatever it's called, would be the perfect one for gnocchi.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2020 06:27PM by Thrift Store Scott.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Gnocchi First Try Report
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 23, 2020 05:57PM
.....so nice set of Gnocch....ers......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 23, 2020 06:25PM
Try with either cultured butter and fresh sage, or a Gorgonzola sauce.

Pass on the whole wheat gnocchi. Make your own with potato and semolina, or spinach and ricotta.

Marcella Hazan will explain...yum smiley
Posted by: richorlin
Date: October 23, 2020 09:11PM
For something with some flavor, try crisp brussels sprouts with seared gnocchi in brown butter sauce. Pretty tasty.
NYTimes Cooking

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 23, 2020 11:27PM
Piccata, perhaps?

Gnocchi really only work when fresh or homemade. They are supposed to be light and soft, and refrigeration dries them out.
Posted by: August West
Date: October 24, 2020 09:49AM

Gnocchi really only work when fresh or homemade. They are supposed to be light and soft, and refrigeration dries them out.

+1

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020