advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Found my two missing mousetraps
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 23, 2020 10:50PM
I don't really understand how a mouse can be killed and moved about 12 feet. I saw it dead and was going to clean it up the next morning as it was nearly 1am. Was one of its comrades trying to take it somewhere?

The second trap was found with a tail but no mouse. I do not believe I caught any tailless mice.

I think I should just declare victory and move on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2020 10:51PM by mattkime.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Found my two missing mousetraps
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 23, 2020 11:17PM
....so now you are chasing tail.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 23, 2020 11:44PM
Well, I hate to say this, but depending on the circumstances, getting caught in a standard mousetraps may not kill them instantly. I once saw one when I was on a treadmill downstairs in our exercise room. The trap worked as expected - no partial hit, bar came down behind it’s head, and it struggled for maybe 10-20 seconds before being still.

That’s why I tie a string between the trap and some nearby heavy object.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 24, 2020 12:00AM
Have to ask, do you have a cat?

======================

When I lived in an old house that was pretty mouse-porous until I figured out how to seal it, I had some pretty strange mouse trap experiences.

Many weren't killed right away. I had one that screamed for 10-20 seconds before it expired. I also had one that bled out; I swear it must have been every drop of blood it had that ended up in a pool on the trap.

Later, I had a really big, fat mouse that was too big for the trap. The trap didn't kill it at all, just pissed it off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2020 12:02AM by AllGold.
Date: October 24, 2020 12:09AM
.....don't forget....love.....is the tender trap.....

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 24, 2020 12:52AM

Edit: from [www.youtube.com]

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2020 12:52AM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 24, 2020 01:07AM
>Have to ask, do you have a cat?

Yes, but the mouse wasn't presented to me as a broken toy / trophy which is why I'm confused.
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 24, 2020 01:31AM
I used to be the caretaker of a hot springs at the edge of a wilderness area. One fall, I lost count at about 430 mice trapped. Another time, traps started to disappear. At first, it
just happened occasionally; then it started happening more frequently. Then one morning, my girlfriend woke me up because there was a strange rattling noise in the corner of the cabin. It turned out that an ermine had started taking both traps and mice out through a hole in the logs, but this time one had gotten hung up on the chicken wire that someone used to try to close the gap. For a while, I would leave the trapped mice for him, but then he started marking the cabin as his territory, so I had to chase him off.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 24, 2020 04:32AM
mattkime
I don't really understand how a mouse can be killed and moved about 12 feet.

Ask this guy? [en.m.wikipedia.org]

It is what it is.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: October 24, 2020 07:07AM
The second trap was found with a tail but no mouse. I do not believe I caught any
tailless mice.

Perhaps there is a bigger carnivore lurking in your home?
smiley-excited001

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: space-time
Date: October 24, 2020 08:12AM
AllGold

Later, I had a really big, fat mouse that was too big for the trap. The trap didn't kill it at all, just pissed it off.

we call them rats.
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 24, 2020 11:30AM
When I had mice in my pantry, where kitties could not help, I got a Rat Zapper. It worked really well, several times, and I chose to believe that it was a less gruesome, kinder?, way to kill them. It was also less mess. No blood or broken bodies, just electrocuted mouse carcass to get rid of.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 24, 2020 12:18PM
For those who want more humane options:

[www.amazon.com]
[www.amazon.com]

I've used both of these and they work well ... the first one I've successfully used on occasion to trap an escaped hamster. Bait either with a small dab of preferably crunchy peanut butter, and you're good to go.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 24, 2020 12:27PM
My sister's mouse traps were disappearing. She later found a rat that was making a nest out of them.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 24, 2020 12:49PM
PeterB

[www.amazon.com]
[www.amazon.com]

I've used both of these and they work well ... the first one I've successfully used on occasion to trap an escaped hamster. Bait either with a small dab of preferably crunchy peanut butter, and you're good to go.

Catch and release? Perhaps when it can be shown how beneficial to local ecosystems common field mice are. I’m not a fan of giving them a 2nd opportunity for re-try. As it is I’m 5 minutes away from pulling out the dishwasher to block off access underneath it. I installed it; hopefully I’ll remember how again.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 24, 2020 01:25PM
deckeda
PeterB

[www.amazon.com]
[www.amazon.com]

Catch and release? Perhaps when it can be shown how beneficial to local ecosystems common field mice are. I’m not a fan of giving them a 2nd opportunity for re-try. As it is I’m 5 minutes away from pulling out the dishwasher to block off access underneath it. I installed it; hopefully I’ll remember how again.

I would guess pretty beneficial, since mice are food for LOTS of different predator species. If you really don't want to release, you could also humanely kill; some of the other types of traps out there (for example, glue traps) do anything but.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 24, 2020 02:20PM
PeterB
I would guess pretty beneficial, since mice are food for LOTS of different predator species. If you really don't want to release, you could also humanely kill; some of the other types of traps out there (for example, glue traps) do anything but.

I toss what the traps catch down a hill next to the house, figure that something will eat it. We have some owls around and they might take care of it. It's also why poisons should be avoided at all costs, so it whatever does eat the dead rodent doesn't get poisoned too.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 24, 2020 03:41PM
<SNAP>

That's as humane as I get.

Or need be.

Just as with people, there's a line that doesn't get to be crossed.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 24, 2020 03:58PM
The electro-traps are pretty cool and very effective to boot, at least in my experience. An added benefit: They work equally well with mice and rats.

It is what it is.
Date: October 24, 2020 05:55PM
.....mouse.....stew for dinner......???

Posted by: blooz
Date: October 24, 2020 10:35PM
I hate to kill things, and maybe it's sort of a sadistic joy, but i like to drive my catches a couple miles away and let them out to take their chances with the foxes and owls.
But every so often i get a rat who just doesn't play by the rules. So I bought a super duper mouse trap, you wouldn't believe how strong this thing is (scares me), and set it up with some bait. So one night i woke up at 4:00 to go to the bathroom and there was my trap, snapped, nothing in it, but next to it, in a pool of blood, a rat about the size of a large burrito. (Hope that doesn't ruin burritos for you).
I have caught mice and rats in different sized have-a-heart traps and I hope i can avoid using that particular killing trap again. What a mess.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Date: October 24, 2020 10:51PM
....build a better mouse trap....

Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 25, 2020 05:02PM
space-time
AllGold

we call them rats.

I might have thought so except this was one of those brown and white mice, so definitely not a rat.

Date: October 25, 2020 05:55PM
....what about chocolate......mous(s)e.....??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020