advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
High Sierra and APFS - I'm confused
Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 23, 2020 11:14PM
I thought a High Sierra or later install always converted an internal SSD to APFS. I just installed it on my MBP (coming from Sierra) and no APFS.

My internal SSD is partitioned into two volumes. Could that be why?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: High Sierra and APFS - I'm confused
Posted by: ADent
Date: October 24, 2020 12:21AM
Is the other partition bootable?

Mine converted, but I only had the one partition.

I was afraid to upgrade the wife to High Sierra, since she also uses 10.6 occasionally and that can not read APFS, and certainly can not boot from APFS.

Looks like you don't partition an APFS disk, you create more volumes. Maybe APFS doesn't like partitioned drives?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2020 12:22AM by ADent.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 24, 2020 07:25AM
All,

From what I experienced, installing High Sierra doesn't automatically convert volumes. Installing Mojave will do it. I think it also might only be for machines with SSDs.

Robert
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 24, 2020 10:48AM
AllGold
I thought a High Sierra or later install always converted an internal SSD to APFS. I just installed it on my MBP (coming from Sierra) and no APFS.

You didn't mention what type of MBP and what brand/model SSD.

Some 3rd party upgrades for Retina MBPs aren't recognized as SSDs for this purpose, or appear as an odd logical group that doesn't qualify. Some have weird firmware issues. The installer won't do the conversion if your SSD is outside of spec. Sometimes the install aborts in these cases and sometimes it completes.

Posted by: hal
Date: October 24, 2020 05:05PM
Sarcany
AllGold

Some 3rd party upgrades for Retina MBPs aren't recognized as SSDs for this purpose, or appear as an odd logical group that doesn't qualify. Some have weird firmware issues. The installer won't do the conversion if your SSD is outside of spec. Sometimes the install aborts in these cases and sometimes it completes.

do you know of any model off the top of your head that is affected by this?
Date: October 24, 2020 05:39PM
Sarcany
AllGold

It's a mid-2012 15" with a Crucial MX300 1TB SSD.

I don't know if it's relevant, but I just upgraded to the 1TB. Did a clone of my 480GB SSD to the 1TB in an external, then installed the 1TB internally. I checked to make sure everything was ok booting and running the 1TB under Sierra, then ran the OS installer to High Sierra.

Edit: I don't see how this would matter but I wanted to mention that I also expanded the size of the OS partition with Disk Utility while in the external. I suppose there's a small chance that that made the partition map weird.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2020 07:10PM by AllGold.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 24, 2020 06:17PM
....I'm bemused.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 24, 2020 08:42PM
hal
Sarcany
AllGold

do you know of any model off the top of your head that is affected by this?

No specific model, no. Lots of them. As I recall, even SSDs from OWC had problems with HS for awhile because the firmware made the SSD look like a hard drive or RAID.

Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 24, 2020 10:06PM
Sarcany
As I recall, even SSDs from OWC had problems with HS for awhile because the firmware made the SSD look like a hard drive or RAID.

Yup, the original OWC SSDs for the trash can Mac Pro appear as externals and you can’t install later versions of High Sierra, Mojave or later directly onto the SSD.
Date: October 25, 2020 03:29PM
Now I'm more confused. I just installed H.S. in a 2011 mini with a new, empty, non-partitioned Sandisk Plus SSD and it didn't convert to APFS.

I started thinking maybe it was the installer. When I initially tried to get High Sierra from Apple, it redirected to the App Store (instead of to a direct download like other OSs) but the App Store was messed up at the time and wouldn't give it up. So I got it through dosdude1.

But I just got a fresh version from the App Store, which is cooperating now, and the files appear to be the same--at least they are the exact same size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2020 03:37PM by AllGold.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 25, 2020 04:56PM
dosdude1 allows you to get the installer from apple's servers so they should be the same file.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 79
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020