advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Long-term relationship question
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 25, 2020 12:59PM
Do you know any couple, in say a 10+ years relationship, who are still romantically in love, who still look at each other with stars in their eyes. Not that they don't see the flaws in their partner, just that the same zing is there?

This is coming out of a conversation with a good friend; we came out in different positions, and I'm curious what the experience of other forumites is. Doesn't have to be a relationship you're in, but it could be...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Long-term relationship question
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: October 25, 2020 01:15PM
Right off the top of my head, yes I know of one culture. And it’s rather incredible but there still madly in love despite all the circumstances. It’s been almost 30 years, they’re married, there a military family open parentheses husband is in the Air Force), Numerous deployments where he’s been away almost a year, and even when he’s home typical workday was 10 hours at the minimum. All the load in keeping the family together was on her. All of my other friends that are in the military Have had marital issues and/or are divorced.

——frackin autocorrect

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2020 01:17PM by Carnos Jax.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: October 25, 2020 01:17PM
That applies to Mrs Pupp and me. 15 years together, approaching 10 years as a married couple. We laugh daily, tease each other, smooch surreptitiously in stores, sword fight with pool noodles, etc. It’s loads of fun.
We met too late to have kids safely, but make up for this by behaving like kids ourselves.
Date: October 25, 2020 01:25PM
Yeah, that was true for a number of folks I knew when I was working on the railroad. The quote I remember is "When you've been away for 6 days, you're really ready to be with your wife again. And when you've been with your wife for 6 days, you're really ready to leave!"

Carnos Jax
Right off the top of my head, yes I know of one culture. And it’s rather incredible but there still madly in love despite all the circumstances. It’s been almost 30 years, they’re married, there a military family open parentheses husband is in the Air Force), Numerous deployments where he’s been away almost a year, and even when he’s home typical workday was 10 hours at the minimum. All the load in keeping the family together was on her. All of my other friends that are in the military Have had marital issues and/or are divorced.

——frackin autocorrect
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 25, 2020 01:37PM
anonymouse1
Do you know any couple, in say a 10+ years relationship, who are still romantically in love, who still look at each other with stars in their eyes. Not that they don't see the flaws in their partner, just that the same zing is there?

This is coming out of a conversation with a good friend; we came out in different positions, and I'm curious what the experience of other forumites is. Doesn't have to be a relationship you're in, but it could be...

Yep. Some who you have to catch in just the right moment. But one couple married since 2002 where it's hard not to catch them staring at each other in that way.

Posted by: testcase
Date: October 25, 2020 02:24PM
Sad to say, for too many couples, that concept is just a fantasy. That said, I know several couples in my RVing circles who absolutely qualify. In my pre-RVing days, there might have been one or two couples who would fit the description. boink smiley
Posted by: Michael
Date: October 25, 2020 03:13PM
Yep. Thirty nine years and counting.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 25, 2020 03:17PM
....tap 'dat booty....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2020 03:30PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: October 25, 2020 03:43PM
That is us. There were a few less pleasant times during our 58 years together, but those are far behind us.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 25, 2020 04:10PM
Known just a few couples that are that way still. More that I know have settled into a happy, joint life without the big romantic part.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 25, 2020 04:30PM
modelamac
That is us. There were a few less pleasant times during our 58 years together, but those are far behind us.

58 years?! Wow! Awesome. You are truly lucky.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: October 25, 2020 04:31PM
Forty seven years of living together with the last forty two married. We still adore one another, cuddle, hold hands in public and smooch enough to occasionally embarrass the kids. There has never been any doubt that we were made for each other and not for one second have I regretted it.

Paul

Posted by: rgG
Date: October 25, 2020 04:41PM
JoeH
Known just a few couples that are that way still. More that I know have settled into a happy, joint life without the big romantic part.

And, there is nothing to be ashamed of in that.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: October 25, 2020 04:58PM
Agreed!
rgG
JoeH

And, there is nothing to be ashamed of in that.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 25, 2020 05:14PM
My mom and step-dad were like that for the 24 years they were married before pops died. Never seemed to lose the handle.
The old broad coincidentally lived almost exactly another 24 years afterwards. She had a few more relationships during that time, and only one approached the 10 year mark; while the guy worshiped her, the feelings were not reciprocated... she still considered herself married to my step-dad, after he was gone.

Mrs. Buzz and I got a late-in-life start, and have been together about 30 years, and it's definitely not the same. We had neighbors that were together forever (both R.I.P.), and they never lost that lovin' feeling. Their daughter and son-in-law, still our neighbors, have been married about 36 years (if my math is correct, probably together longer over all), and they seem incredibly tight, but it's not in as a demonstrable way as her folks were... kinda hard explain, other than that they're both still sixty-something year old nerds.

In our circles, we know lots of those 10+ year couples (usually multiples thereof), and it seems that only 20% - 25% have any sort of discernible stars left in their eyes.
Congrats to y'all that are still zingin' along.
==
Posted by: August West
Date: October 25, 2020 08:11PM
Yup, more than one couple.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 25, 2020 09:59PM
Wife and I are just shy of 20 years. Still feel the same way as I did when I first kissed her. She on the other hand..well,....I can’t speak for her.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: wave rider
Date: October 25, 2020 10:34PM
Yes, a few. Some have passed…

=wr=
Posted by: davester
Date: October 25, 2020 10:57PM
We've been married for 36 years, longer than anybody else that I know. What I can say is that two children and many life event later, our relationship has been hot, cold, warm, and everything else over that period. I really don't know how my other friends' relationships have been, but that's how it's been for us. Right now, with children grown and work pressures decreased, our relationship is back towards hot, but not quite as hot as that first couple of years, mostly because I don't think we're quite physically up to that quantity of XXX activity these days. I do need a break every now and then. I must say that it is important to exercise both the physical self (mucho bike riding and running for me) and the romantic self (bringing flowers, compliments and chocs to my sweetie regularly) often to keep the spark alive.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 25, 2020 11:37PM
Love the stories. I learned years ago relationships are not a competition. I love my wife, and we have our ups and downs - together. 32 years plus.

Good luck to all!
Posted by: mspace
Date: October 26, 2020 07:36AM
Us. 38 official, 39 unofficial. Met and 1.5 months later committed to marrying. Live, work, and everything else together.
Date: October 26, 2020 09:40AM

Posted by: DavidS
Date: October 26, 2020 10:31AM
My parents recently celebrated their 60th anniversary. They still laugh, travel, and (as far as I know) love being around each other. Dad traveled for work during his professional career, so they learned to take a lot of vacations together and still do. I think that helps.

My wife and I have been together 25 years and married for 22. While it has not been all candies and roses, we still very much love each other and tell each other that daily. She has definitely made me a better person over these years.
Posted by: d4
Date: October 26, 2020 11:59AM
Are you trying to ask if old people still have sex?

Date: October 26, 2020 01:35PM
.......long time.......companion.......

Posted by: LyleH
Date: October 26, 2020 08:54PM
Our 63rd anniversary is next month. We very rarely quarrel, and we rarely give the other the silent treatment - for even a day. We seem to "talk" out our issues and get things back on track quickly. We've had 4 kids together so there has been trying times. LyleH
Posted by: Kate
Date: October 26, 2020 11:00PM
We just hit 50 years, got married on our 30th anniversary. I say we qualify, its a great union, I could not ask for more.

Kate
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 159
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020