advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Pencil - can someone school me?
Posted by: JPK
Date: October 27, 2020 01:23PM
Can someone give me a quick explanation of what this does? My daughter wants one, but requires upgrading her iPad too.

I have read about but I guess I don't really understand what more it does other than just being a 'stylus' to use with the screen?

I have an iPad Pro 10.5, which can apparently utilize a 1st Gen Pencil. There is obviously a difference between 1st & 2nd gen?

John P. Kelly
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Pencil - can someone school me?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 27, 2020 01:40PM
I have a 6th gen 9.7" iPad, and a 1st gen pencil.

The pencil turns the iPad into a useful device.
Posted by: fromish
Date: October 27, 2020 01:51PM
The major advantage of the Apple pencil (gen 1 or gen 2) is that there is zero lag between movement and writing or tapping the screen. Other stylii have varying amounts of lag which is distracting and irritating. Apple pencils also allow tilt and pressure sensitivity which is great for graphics if that is a priority. The Apple pencil works via BlueTooth and charges from the lightning port. You can get cases which have a receptacle for the pencil.

I find that with the Apple pencil my handwriting looks and feels like I am writing with a pen or physical pencil, whereas other stylii have fat tips, time lag, and intermittent connection so lines can appear jagged. Finally, the Apple pencil has a sharp tip so you can see what you are writing, and the precision is a treat.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 27, 2020 01:58PM
The Apple Pencil is far more than just a stylus, if one chooses to make use of all its functionality.

And the 2 is more capable than the first one and the charging method is better, in my opinion.

Does she want to take notes, draw, or both?

For some simple stuff, the Logictech Crayon might be a consideration.

If you're willing to upgrade an iPad to use a Pencil, I'd suggest a Pencil over a Crayon if your daughter is at all creatively curious.

There are a lot of videos on YouTube that might help out.

Here's a short video on a simple drawing showing the Pencil is more than a mere stylus.

Note the artist is wearing a glove that prevents the palm and little finger from providing accidental input.

Many claim Apple's palm rejection makes that unnecessary.

Here's another video (6m) showing the new features with iOS 14 and some more utility.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 27, 2020 02:09PM
The Apple Pencil 2 also included an adapter so that one can charge it from a Lightning cable instead of a Lightning port, where it might be subject to damage.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 27, 2020 02:12PM
If its just "trying it out" Id say go with a 2020 8th gen iPad (should be $250 for BF.) and gen 1 pencil.

If serious, the new Air and pencil 2

They are dynamic writing a drawing instruments -- not just a rubber tipped "finger" per se.

This is a brief 6 mintue video on how the pencil works with iOS 14, shows some tid bits.

[www.youtube.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 27, 2020 02:17PM
RAMd®d
The Apple Pencil 2 also included an adapter so that one can charge it from a Lightning cable instead of a Lightning port, where it might be subject to damage.

My first gen pencil also has that very easy to lose adapter.

I keep mine in a tiny plastic bag. When I'm charging the pencil, I put the pencil cover in the bag.
Posted by: Diana
Date: October 27, 2020 02:22PM
I use the iPad as a notepad, a canvas, a sketchbook... and so the time lag as well as the precision both in placement of the “lead” of the pencil as well as the thickness of the mark made are important to me. I went through a few styli before the pencil came out, and the upgrade to the iPP was well worth it for me.

I lost the little charger adapter somewhere (in the house? With two cats you can never be sure) and so charging it using the iPP is clumsy but works. The 2nd gen pencil is quite a bit better in that regard. And yes, I had to update the iPP to match it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2020 02:24PM by Diana.
Posted by: apocketfulofwry
Date: October 27, 2020 02:35PM
The Apple Pencil is great for drawing, and much better for navigation overall.

And with iPadOS 14, you can use the pencil to write in almost any text field, and 'Scribble' will convert it to editable text, that can be copied and pasted into other apps.

So, for instance, if you're using the pencil in a drawing app, and you need to send an email, or jot down a note, you don't have to put down the pencil to type it on the iPad keyboard — you just write it with the pencil.

That being said, the pencil is slightly too thin, and slippery for my liking, and the double-tap to switch functions can be awkward at times, at least for me. And I wish Apple, or some third party will make softer nibs with a bit more drag than the standard ones.

Overall, it's a useful tool, and relatively inexpensive, notwithstanding the cost of a new iPad.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 27, 2020 02:45PM
....but it is no.....Newton Messagepad 2100.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: JPK
Date: October 27, 2020 03:29PM
WOW! Thanks for the great input. It really helped.

She is in high school where iPads are mandatory and I suspect she would mostly use for note taking.

Looks like someone is getting a new iPad & pencil from Santa Clause this year. Doing my part to jump start the economy!

JPK
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 27, 2020 04:29PM
JPK
Looks like someone is getting a new iPad & pencil from Santa Clause this year. Doing my part to jump start the economy!
JPK

Awesome.

Look for the $250 w/32 GB deals soon -- if you see one, Id snag it. It wont get any cheaper.

If you think more storage is in order, watch Costco -- they usually have the best deals on the 128 GB model

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Michael
Date: October 27, 2020 05:48PM
Diana
I lost the little charger adapter somewhere (in the house? With two cats you can never be sure) and so charging it using the iPP is clumsy but works. The 2nd gen pencil is quite a bit better in that regard. And yes, I had to update the iPP to match it.

I found these worth $10: [www.amazon.com]
Date: October 27, 2020 05:59PM
.....you will need Apple eraser......

Posted by: bfd
Date: October 27, 2020 09:59PM
Apple Pencil 2 here with iPad Pro works wonders on all kinds of tasks, from simple note taking to more artistic uses. It's especially useful with "scribble" with writing tasks, and in quite a few apps now, there's support for pressure so that illustrations and drawing tasks can get some really good results.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 28, 2020 06:21AM
Just be sure to get a case that also holds the pencil when not in use. Otherwise, you are committing to several such pencils and replacements...
Date: October 28, 2020 10:16AM
.....the PENcil_IS mightier than.......

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 28, 2020 11:27PM
There is also the Logitech crayon. Less features, lower price.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 29, 2020 04:56AM
Don’t let a Pencil’s battery be discharged for a long period of time. Our Pencil 1 was left discharged for about six months (we were gone from home and didn’t bring it with) and now won’t take a charge. I believe Apple will replace it for about $25.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 29, 2020 05:25AM
Keep it charged. We left our Pencil 1 unused, uncharged for six months and now it won’t take a charge. I believe we can get it replaced for $25 from Apple.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: October 29, 2020 07:33AM
.....don't forget Apple Pencil......sharpener.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 71
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020