advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FYIYF: Sabrent Gold Box Sale today (10/28)
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: October 28, 2020 10:19AM
I will happily stick with our sponsor's offerings; have had great luck with OWC over the past several decades and I trust my data to them. Well worth any extra expenditure IMO.

I do know, though, that some of y'all like to live dangerously (do not read in Austin Powers' voice), and noted via 9to5toys.com that there's a Sabrent sale on NVMe, both bare and in their enclosures: [www.amazon.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FYIYF: Sabrent Gold Box Sale today (10/28)
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 28, 2020 10:59AM
Zoid,

Good catch. I can vouch for Sabrent NVME drives enclosures. I have an Inland Premium NVME stick in one of the older model aluminum enclosures. The drive powers my main machine at home. The aluminum enclosure is a brick. The drives are solid, too. Got a Rocket Q series model running as a clone backup of my main machine. Not a primary drive but the performance is still solid.

Robert
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 28, 2020 11:23AM

AMZ has this Sabrent Rocket Nano 2TB USB 3.2 10Gb/s External Aluminum SSD on sale for $225 (reg. $300??).

I don't know that this would make a good primary drive, and it has the disadvantage of being stuck at USB 3.2 10Gb/s and not transferrable (as far as I know, which isn't very far) to a 40Gb/s box.

But it is a cool slick little drive if you needed to carry or move a lot of data by sneaker net.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2020 11:26AM by RAMd®d.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: October 28, 2020 11:32AM
I got one of them there Rocket Nanos to hold my virtual machines for Parallels. Its quite fast.

Edit: Just did a semi-real world test and copied around 100Gb of data to the nano. It was about 600Mb per second.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2020 11:47AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 28, 2020 11:32AM
Thanks for the tip. Im with RM, Sabrent makes quality stuff. Id buy one. Nothing dangerous about buying from other name brand companies.

These Rockets are Gen 4 PCIe drives, if you had a PC with a newer board they benchmark near 5000 MB/s. Impressive. Overkill for anything Mac related, except for a Macpro.

You are paying extra for that with these drives. If you are strictly buying because of cost, there are cheaper -- but also also excellent quality -- options to choose from.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: October 28, 2020 11:41AM
RAMd®d

AMZ has this Sabrent Rocket Nano 2TB USB 3.2 10Gb/s External Aluminum SSD on sale for $225 (reg. $300??).

I don't know that this would make a good primary drive, and it has the disadvantage of being stuck at USB 3.2 10Gb/s and not transferrable (as far as I know, which isn't very far) to a 40Gb/s box.

It would make an excellent boot/primary drive -- about/less the cost of a budget DIY solution.

True, "stuck" at 10 GB/s -- but faster rated cases, like OWCs -- are $80+. Near half the cost of the drive itself.

Newer NVMe drives are now pushing 50 -80 GB/s -- so even if you are on the bleeding edge and want to upgrade to the fastest, you are already behind =)

TBolt is only rated at 40 GB/s as is...

Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 28, 2020 11:49AM
I'm also quite happy with my Sabrent NVMe drives. They have been the recent leader in storage capacity. I've been running the 4TB Rocket in my MBP since it came out, and recently got a deal on the 8TB Rocket Q, so now the 2015 15" MBP is 8TB and the 4TB has been moved to the Mac Pro. My only quip with the 8TB drive is it is actually 7.68TB and it's literally the only drive in their line-up where the over-provisioning is including in the stated capacity (i.e. the 4TB drives are actually 4TB).
Date: October 28, 2020 12:00PM
RAM,

That box should have 4 qty screws holding it together. The SSD is near certainly an NVME stick. It'll make a fine primary/boot drive. The speed listed is the max speed of the box, not necessarily the drive since it's sold as a complete unit. I'm betting it has one of the standard Sabrent Rocket sticks in it. You should be able to remove the stick and drop it into any other standard NVME M.2 box.

Robert
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 28, 2020 01:40PM
It would make an excellent boot/primary drive

The reason I balk is because the enclosure of the Sabrent Nano is so small and they tend to generate a lot of heat.

Newer NVMe drives are now pushing 50 -80 GB/s -- so even if you are on the bleeding edge and want to upgrade to the fastest, you are already behind =)

I think it'll be awhile before I upgrade to a Mac that can do 80Gb/s or even 50Gp/s.

That's not saying I wouldn't, if there were such a Mac.

Not that I want or need to be bleeding edge at all, I don't mind being a little behind the curve.

It's generally cheaper.

Robert,

Given the size of the Sabrent Nano and the assumption the user could remove it for xfer, what box would be available for 40Gb/s?

The NVMe inside isn't a typical m.2 format, assuming my ADATA8200 is typical.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: October 28, 2020 06:21PM
This is the drive inside the case: [www.amazon.com]

There are only a handful of cases that mention 40 GB/s, so a ways off.

Date: October 28, 2020 07:02PM
RAM,

The stick is a standard size. Typically, you see M.2 2280 sticks. The stick that goes in the Nano box is a M.2 2242. Most standard NVME M.2 boxes support various M.2 sticks including 2242 models.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 161
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020