advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Isn't there a statute of limitations for a speeding ticket?
Posted by: hal
Date: October 29, 2020 06:44PM
Today, out of TOTAL BOREDOM, I opened a letter from some legal office to a name at my address that is no one I've heard of and I know the names of people that have lived here for the last 20 years.

Anyway... I assume it's a bill collector going for a hail mary and boy, was I right.

Some person has two tickets from 1993. 1993!!

One was a fixit ticket and one was for speeding '1520 mph above the speed limit'

Assuming that they meant 15-20mph... why would anyone waste a stamp on this longshot? Balance due is $55 + $112 (yeah, these are 1993 prices alright)

The offenses took place 1500 miles from here... seriously... wtf?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Isn't there a statute of limitations for a speeding ticket?
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 29, 2020 06:53PM
That’s nuts for sure.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 29, 2020 06:53PM
Nope - usually if you have an unresolved traffic violation in another state, they suspend your driving privileges and wait for you to come back and get nabbed. Then it's off to the pokey!!

Or, if your home state and the one where you got stopped have a reciprocity agreement, you'll find out that your fines have been stacking up the next time you try to renew your registration and/or license.....

Sounds like some states eventually write off the penalties and sell the debt. But if you get stopped speeding again (esp. in the same jurisdiction as the old offense), the court might still have an outstanding warrant for ya!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2020 06:55PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 29, 2020 07:33PM
1520 mph above the limit?

That one might be mine... smiley-laughing001

It is what it is.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 29, 2020 08:13PM
it is legal to open mail addressed to someone else?

I did open my neighbor's mail by mistake, mailman placed in my mailbox by mistake. I was talking to my wife and I didn't pay attention to the envelope as I was opening it. I went over and apologized.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 29, 2020 08:46PM
space-time

I did open my neighbor's mail by mistake, mailman placed in my mailbox by mistake. I was talking to my wife and I didn't pay attention to the envelope as I was opening it. I went over and apologized.

I just did that today, sortof, address was correct but didn't recognise the name at all. No return address on the envelope. Thought it was random junk mail in an envelope so I opened it up since there was no one to return it to. Turns out it was a several thousand dollar check and a bunch of legal documents from a trust. Taped it back shut and right back into the mailbox with return to sender recipient not at this address, return address enclosed. Ooops.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 29, 2020 09:14PM
If mail is delivered to you by the USPS, it's OK for you to open it.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: October 29, 2020 11:22PM
We occasionally get mail for the previous owner of our house -- and we've lived here for 37 years...
Posted by: Microman
Date: October 30, 2020 09:12AM
Good site for Ca, and fighting tickets

[highwayrobbery.net]
Posted by: davester
Date: October 30, 2020 04:07PM
N-OS X-tasy!
1520 mph above the limit?

That one might be mine... smiley-laughing001

Actually, I think it’s Elon’s orbiting Tesla Roadster.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 30, 2020 09:30PM
If mail is delivered to you by the USPS, it's OK for you to open it.

No.

Depends.

Knowingly opening mail addressed to someone else is a crime, if one is not legally authorized to act on the addressee's behalf, regardless of how it got to any given address.

Accidentally opening mail addressed to someone else is not a crime.

I don't know if there are any definitive time limits set as statutes of limitations on traffic tickets.

Depending on the states involved, there may be slightly different courses of action.

In CA, not responding to a traffic ticket will result in a bench warrant being issued for Failure To Appear, aka FTA.

This results in a potential separate fine and fees, etc., in addition to the bail and fees of the infraction.

It's usually up to a judge as to whether or not one's driving privilege is suspended.

However, registration of the vehicle involved with not be allowed at the time of renewal, and the same applies to one's driver's license.

I've seen arrest warrants confirmed by the issuing agency that were two and three years old.

On the flip side, a judge may dismiss the arrest on warrant, not because the ticket and warrant were old, but because there was no due diligence to serve it.

Also as mentioned, many states have reciprocity for traffic violations and resulting warrants.

If a CA driver gets a ticket in another state, coming back to CA doesn't negate his/her legal obligations to clear it.

Although I've not heard of this as fraud, it seems to me somebody could send fake notices out for just the price of a stamp (no postage meter imprint?) to try to get someone to pay.

It does leave a paper trail, and cost postage though.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 31, 2020 07:20AM
RAMd®d
Although I've not heard of this as fraud, it seems to me somebody could send fake notices out for just the price of a stamp (no postage meter imprint?) to try to get someone to pay.

It does leave a paper trail, and cost postage though.

However, it does constitute mail fraud, which is aggressively prosecuted and can result in harsh sentencing. Postmaster Generals tend to take their jobs more seriously than most DA's.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020