advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hiding the litter box... Cat people I need suggestions???
Posted by: spacescape
Date: October 30, 2020 07:32AM
We have a few cats and one of the litter boxes is in our spare room. Which, up until the last month was almost a storage room. But now we are trying to make it into a spare room with some of my wife's fisher price collection on display. So, we are discussing "where" to move the litter box or how to kind of "hide it". Any suggestions? I'm seeing "boxes" and "cabinets" and some that look like an end table with the box inside. So, do these work? Will the cat(s) use them? One of our cats are larger (maine coon). Hoping to cut down on dust and cut down on the odor.

We do have a full bathroom (our 12 and 15 year old's bathroom) that we could possibly move the box in there "if" we have something to keep the litter contained a little better. They are family so I'm not complaining about the mess... Just looking for helpful suggestions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2020 07:33AM by spacescape.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hiding the litter box... Cat people I need suggestions???
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 30, 2020 07:56AM
As long as the cats can get in and out AND are willing to use a partially enclosed litter box, a structure will work. We set up shag carpet samples outside the litter boxes to clean off their paws.. shake them off outside every few days, and wash them in the washing machine every few weeks. Even commercially available enclosed litter boxes are okay, as long as you are scooping every other day.
Posted by: Tiki2000
Date: October 30, 2020 07:56AM
Many years ago I decided that I didn't like bending over to load my laundry from the dryer to the basket, so I built a platform to raise the dryer 2.5ft up from the floor. The space under the platform became the location for the litter box....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 30, 2020 08:04AM
....so time to think outside.....the box......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 30, 2020 08:15AM
What will work depends on the kitty, but some sort of enclosure will look the best.
A three sided open box over the litter box would probably be the least objectionable to the kitty, and will at least give you a shelf/table top area to put stuff
We have something like this in out laundry room. Kitty is ok with it.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: rz
Date: October 30, 2020 08:26AM
We gave up on trying to hide or cover the litter pans. We used to have them in 2 different areas of the house, but they're all in one area now. They're sort of out of the way for everyone... except me. They're in a nook at the one end of our living room, next to the hallway that leads to my office. So I have to pass by it when entering/leaving my office.

We used to have the covered ones, but it became a pain to take the covers off and on when scooping or doing a full clean of the pans. At one time, I built a little "privacy wall" when we had a pan in the hallway next to our spare bathroom. I'm thinking of building a larger one for the living room. Doesn't help with the smell, but at least it sorta hides them.

Oh, and you mention dust. You might want to check out a different brand of litter. We switched from Tidy Cats (which had a horrible amount of dust) to a combo of Arm and Hammer, and World's Best Litter. Both cut down on the dust significantly.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 30, 2020 08:28AM
Have you looked at the breeze litter system?

Posted by: Acer
Date: October 30, 2020 08:41AM
Another vote for better litter. We used Walmart house brand clumping litter for years, but when we switched to Arm & Hammer the dust reduction was significant.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: October 30, 2020 09:52AM
we hide our covered under a staircase. Which is fine except for long work days, as O is not favored of indoor use.

Litter is mostly PetCo clay and 20% or so of Okocat.

A healthy scoop of baking soda mixed in whenever he drops a steamer.
And an essential oil based spray in the area.

There is a plastic kind of shag welcome mat that my spouse stumbled on.
Easy outdoor clean for misses and rush jobs.
Does a pretty good job of paw cleaning on the way out.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 30, 2020 10:42AM
We went to Horse Stable Pellets from Tractor Supply and eliminated both odor and dust. The cats adapted in just a few days.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Fritz
Date: October 30, 2020 10:48AM
ah Tractor Supply. Some great stuff. Don't think we have one yet in the area. Closest is 45 mins.

!#$@@$#!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2020 10:50AM by Fritz.
Date: October 30, 2020 11:09AM
Ombligo
We went to Horse Stable Pellets from Tractor Supply and eliminated both odor and dust. The cats adapted in just a few days.

My friend uses those.
How often you have to dump the box? I am assuming you just dump the whole thing every so often, since it doesn’t clump?
I know you scoop out the poop, but wasn’t sure about the pee.
Also, is there much dust as they break down?

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 30, 2020 11:12AM
Can anybody provide a link to "Horse Stable Pellets from Tractor Supply"? My google-fu is surprisingly weak on this...Thanks!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 30, 2020 12:05PM
Here are the pellets -- [www.tractorsupply.com]

We have two cats and I do a complete changeout every Saturday with scooping in between as needed. I live on an acre with lots of trees, so I just take it out and spread it (don't just dump it or the pile just sits there). Unlike clay, the pellets are just compressed pine shavings, so it will break down naturally in a very short time (unless you dump in a pile).

It works for us, can't guarantee your cats will be as agreeable.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: bfd
Date: October 30, 2020 12:05PM
This doesn't hide anything, but it does provide some Techno-Po(o)p!

[www.litter-robot.com]
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: October 30, 2020 02:44PM
I probably went a little overboard.

We have a small counter in our laundry room. Probably four feet wide. I removed both doors and attached them to a large homemade platform. Which I then attached to two heavy duty full length drawer glides. So from the outside it still looks like the exact same cabinet. But when you go to pull the handle on one of the doors, the whole giant drawer slides out, and the litter box is magically revealed. Obviously I cut a cat hole in the side of the cabinet which is the only giveaway that the cabinet is not as it seems.

Posted by: davester
Date: October 30, 2020 04:51PM
We put ours under the laundry room sink. Leaning is a nonissue during the summer since the cats spend most of the daylight hours in and around the garden.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: October 30, 2020 05:08PM
davester
We put ours under the laundry room sink. Leaning is a nonissue during the summer since the cats spend most of the daylight hours in and around the garden.

I’ll bet they go to the left, when they do lean. grinning smiley

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 30, 2020 05:18PM
.....just remember that littering is a crime......and it 'dirt'ifies the Earth.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 30, 2020 10:23PM
I have CatGenie and will never go back to a litter box ever again.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 45
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020