advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Have you had any productive projects during the quarantine?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 30, 2020 11:55AM
Learned the guitar? Learned Spanish? Built a gazebo? Scanned all your photos?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Have you had any productive projects during the quarantine?
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 30, 2020 12:33PM
Only house projects.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: October 30, 2020 12:33PM
In Spring I covered a corner of the pergola I had built previously with a translucent roof then Sarah made shades for it. It became a good meeting area for the very rare visitors when we could only meet outside and distantly.

Paul
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 30, 2020 01:05PM
....Project....Runway.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 30, 2020 01:09PM
Built a treehouse for my wife, dropped 16kg in mass mostly from my belly,

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 30, 2020 01:11PM
I’ve been setting up loaner bicycle fleets for both my properties. The idea is to have 5-6 bikes in a range of sizes for both places. I’ve been finding bikes for $10 to $40 at the local thrift store. 6 or 7 are ready to go, and 2-3 are close. I need to finish up the bike project to clear the space in my shop for the scanning project.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: October 30, 2020 01:21PM
Does clearing out a bunch of stuff from the garage and closets count?
On a related note - it's amazing how much "stuff" which once had value and usefulness, becomes clutter/junk after a few decades.

On the plus side, I just got rid of a 2MP digital camera on ebay for $150, and am looking to unload some toys from the '80s for somewhere in the low $hundreds as well.
Posted by: p8712
Date: October 30, 2020 01:31PM
Rebuilt 2 2006 IMacs, upgraded their screens, and got them to run mavericks.

Organized all my old data, make sure everything was backed up, freed up a lot of the old hard drive space that was really just neglected over the years. Reformat it all drives and found data I didn’t know I had andneeded to be destroyed.

Will take apart a 2010 iMac and refurbished in a couple weeks for use as my desktop.

Obtaining a BSN, too.
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: October 30, 2020 01:33PM
Yes, and thanks for asking! Over the last eight months or so I built and refined the website for a photography project very close to my heart. I inherited a shoebox filled with photo negatives shot and developed by my father, mostly when he was in his late teens/early 20s. There's also a small batch of frames captured just a few years before he died at age 43. I was eight years old when he died, so the images reveal glimpses of his early life I hadn't imagined. He also served on a Navy minesweeper in WWII, started a family and moved from the city to the suburbs.

And to think this shoe box was sitting in my basement for decades before I explored the contents. I'm happy to report the site has garnered some good press. As my dad's 100th birthday would have been this December, it all seems perfectly timed.

Please take a look if you're so inclined. [shoeboxnegs.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 30, 2020 01:50PM
FANTASTIC!

Thanks for sharing

prymsnap
Yes, and thanks for asking! Over the last eight months or so I built and refined the website for a photography project very close to my heart. I inherited a shoebox filled with photo negatives shot and developed by my father, mostly when he was in his late teens/early 20s. There's also a small batch of frames captured just a few years before he died at age 43. I was eight years old when he died, so the images reveal glimpses of his early life I hadn't imagined. He also served on a Navy minesweeper in WWII, started a family and moved from the city to the suburbs.

And to think this shoe box was sitting in my basement for decades before I explored the contents. I'm happy to report the site has garnered some good press. As my dad's 100th birthday would have been this December, it all seems perfectly timed.

Please take a look if you're so inclined. [shoeboxnegs.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Date: October 30, 2020 01:58PM
Ombligo
FANTASTIC!

Thanks for sharing

And thank you for the kind word. It's been a journey and I've learned so much: technically, emotionally, and as someone who simply appreciates photography.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 30, 2020 02:07PM
Biked over 1000 miles...rebuilt my fence...worked a ton on making our house fire safe...helped Mrs Markintosh become a techno superstar at her school...avoided COVID so far...these are all good things.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 30, 2020 02:09PM
btfc
I’ve been setting up loaner bicycle fleets for both my properties. The idea is to have 5-6 bikes in a range of sizes for both places. I’ve been finding bikes for $10 to $40 at the local thrift store. 6 or 7 are ready to go, and 2-3 are close. I need to finish up the bike project to clear the space in my shop for the scanning project.

Not sure where you are, but if you're in the greater Philly area I might have a few bikes for you.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 30, 2020 02:32PM
Dennis S
Learned the guitar? Learned Spanish? Built a gazebo? Scanned all your photos?

Know some guitar.

Learning the ukulele. Picked up a decent-sized tenor uke on sale.

Also, catching up on the reading pile.

...I keep forgetting about the boxes of photos to scan and put into albums in Photos, and the DVDs and family videos to rip. Maybe I'll leave those for the next plague.

Posted by: steve...
Date: October 30, 2020 02:41PM
I began my backyard project in mid May and I'm still working on getting a door finished before we start getting rain. Don't think I would have started if it weren't for COVID 19 and the anxiety it's brought. I built a small boat in the 1970's but have only built fences since then. Learning how to do everything took much of the time. I hired someone to put on the shingles.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: davester
Date: October 30, 2020 03:21PM
Tore the 20 year old solar panels off the roof to donate to a friend with an off-grid home. Then supervised reframing of part of the eaves of our house to correct a badly designed addition. Followed that up with supervising the reroofing and painting of the entire house, new skylights, solar panels and wiring. In the meantime, cleared much of our property of burnable material and added new wildfire-rated vents. A few more vents to go, and this weekend I'm going to repair and repaint the sheetrock below the previously leaking skylight. Also, planted a few trees and shrubs and installed an arbor in the yard. My bank account is just about empty and I'm ready for a break from all this activity.

Oh, not to mention that I’ve been working full time

Here's a photo showing some of the results. Note the scaffolding ready to roll into our dining room for skylight sheetrock repairs.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2020 04:03PM by davester.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 30, 2020 03:29PM
Work has never been busier.

Just had a record billing cycle.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 30, 2020 03:50PM
I took a lot of naps. It was great.
Posted by: rz
Date: October 30, 2020 04:09PM
I digitized all of my miniDV tapes. We have family movie night every Saturday now, and on my son's 12th birthday we watched footage from his 2nd birthday.

Biggest project was sorting through my massive stamp collection. Over the last few years especially, I had been accumulating a bunch of stamps at auction. I'm not quite done yet. But now I have over a dozen large boxes of stuff to bring to a dealer to have him auction them for me. Was hoping he was coming to town for a big show in December, but it was canceled. So I'll either have to bring them to him at Xmas if we end up traveling, or wait until next year.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: October 30, 2020 04:14PM
Been working straight through. My kids are alive.
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: October 30, 2020 04:53PM
Also digitized all our VHS, Hi8, miniDv tapes into 320 mp4 clips all imported into iTunes. Used the el gato video digitizer with did all the compression from VHS & Hi8 analog sources.

Thankfully I still had an old White MacBook with a firewire port to import in directly from the miniDV camcorder.

Last week we showed the in-laws a video from 1989 in their older house. Was such a treasure to see their reactions!
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 30, 2020 05:04PM
I have finished one painting.
I still need to frame it, after I figure out how I want it to look
It is 12x16” IIRC

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: October 30, 2020 05:17PM
Yeah, work busier than ever plus an additional COVID job for me. Still, paddled a lot and we both started intermittent fasting.... Mr. RFD has been steadily losing weight and not feeling deprived, and I just feel better although I didn’t have weight to lose. My body likes a break from food, apparently, and I take in enough good stuff to maintain. It’s better for me to do this with him so I don’t accidentally make it rough for him by eating delicious things when he is not in his eating window.

I developed a major fondness for macarons and croissants from little pop up places, too.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 30, 2020 05:18PM
I’ve gone out walking along the East River with my camera a lot since mid-March, and I now have a daunting backlog of images to show for it. Sigh.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: October 30, 2020 05:30PM
rgG
It is 12x16” IIRC

I like that.

Paul
Date: October 30, 2020 05:46PM
voodoopenguin
rgG
It is 12x16” IIRC

I like that.

Paul

Thanks! emoticon_love

Date: October 30, 2020 05:49PM
rgG
It is 12x16” IIRC

Very nice!
Posted by: Diana
Date: October 30, 2020 06:21PM
rgG
It is 12x16” IIRC

Turn it 90degrees to the left, so the yellow is in the upper left corner. That I like!

Normally, I see something and say “yeah I could do that” with the idea of “yeah, I would do this (or that) to it and make it better” but ... it is perfect and makes me happy to see it. Thanks for sharing, and if it needs a home wiggle smiley let me know.
Date: October 30, 2020 06:31PM
Thanks for the compliments on the artwork.
It was my therapy for quite a while.
I was also wondering if it could be hung in another orientation.

I want to surface mount it on a larger board and then frame it, so that it has a lot of airspace around it, as it is pretty busy.
Usually my style is not nearly as busy, but I think my anxiety level influenced this one. Lol

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 30, 2020 06:51PM
great thread.

cbelt, I hear ya!

prymsnap, that is AWESOME. I love it.

I started to repair various electronics type things around the house, and the foam surrounds on the speakers. I began, but gave up, on sorting through my basement tools, parts, and varied items... man, what a mess.

I've been playing guitar, and decided to learn more finger style, and I'm making progress. slow, but steady, and no travis picking just yet, just good ol' p-i-m-a stuff.

I've got a bunch of negatives and slides to go through, and if I don't find some steady employment in the next few months, I'll probably get to it. any work I had basically evaporated with the pandemic, but I'm keeping busy by keeping the kids on the straight and narrow, in remote school, and fed.

Mischievous and Deceitful
Chicanerous and Deplorable
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: October 30, 2020 08:31PM
Fixed and/or restored several vintage (80’s) arcade games in my basement.
Posted by: Z
Date: October 30, 2020 09:38PM
I managed to finally reassemble my motorcycle engine after it sat, disassembled for four years and through one house move. The bike was once again roadworthy for the summer.

We redid the flooring throughout the basement.

Got the 2012 27” iMac resurrected.

Probably a few other things, too.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 30, 2020 11:32PM
ka jowct
I’ve gone out walking along the East River with my camera a lot since mid-March, and I now have a daunting backlog of images to show for it. Sigh.

Good problem to have going into the winter months.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 30, 2020 11:38PM
My slate of projects was not particularly impacted by covid. Work kept me busy, house needs unremarkable yet time consuming repairs and occasionally I go for bike rides.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 31, 2020 01:01AM
mrbigstuff

I've been playing guitar, and decided to learn more finger style, and I'm making progress. slow, but steady, and no travis picking just yet, just good ol' p-i-m-a stuff.

Pick up a copy of Mauro Giuliani's 120 Studies for Right Hand Development.

If you can master that, Travis Picking will be easy peasy.

:-)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 31, 2020 02:18AM
Nothing except for putting a dent in my couche’s cushions.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: October 31, 2020 05:37AM
Speaking of going into the winter, now that blasted early darkness is coming, I’m going to pick up my embroidery and beading projects, get some nice items up on Redbubble to try to sell using my photos, and start making Christmas presents. We hate not hiking/walking/paddling after work, but at least we won’t be bored.

I would have done this despite the pandemic, as I got the equipment in January, but I got pretty good with sourdough, kimchi, and fermented hot sauce this year, too,
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 31, 2020 02:59PM
RecipeForDisaster
, but I got pretty good with sourdough, kimchi, and fermented hot sauce this year, too,

Ok, you may have to share some of those recipes. I also got pretty good w the starter yeast and making sourdough, although over forgotten much since March when I last made it. I'm wanting to make kimchi.

Mischievous and Deceitful
Chicanerous and Deplorable
Date: October 31, 2020 06:02PM
It’s SO easy to make good sauce. I do add onion to mine,but this is basically my recipe:
[nourishedkitchen.com] I do use their neat fermenting lids.
I make lots of different stuff with my sourdough, from chive pancakes to pizza (King Arthur recipe)Dutch Babies to Italian bread - here’s that recipe:
[www.culturesforhealth.com]
And, this is somewhat how I make my kimchi - [tasty.co] it’s really not hard and comes out excellent. Good luck!
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 31, 2020 06:27PM
“Not sure where you are, but if you're in the greater Philly area I might have a few bikes for you.”

I’m out west, but thanks!
Posted by: John B.
Date: October 31, 2020 08:52PM
I had been 100% travel for work from May '19 to March '20, so overcame the initial culture shock of working from home (what? I don't have to get up at 0-dark-30 every Monday morning to travel?)

Replaced my exterior doors

Upgraded my Ring doorbells to hardwired Ring Elites (since I had the doorframes open to pull cable)

Replaced my entire home network (router, switches, access points, NAS)

Ripped all of my DVDs to a Plex server on the new NAS

Prepped and tested for a professional certification

I usually do a "major house project" every year, but upgrading the kitchen will require some structural work (remove walls/install ceiling beam) and with building material shortages this year it didn't seem like the best time to have the kitchen out of service for a (possibly) extended period of time.
Posted by: tenders
Date: October 31, 2020 10:00PM
Fixed up a 460cc Italian scooter bought in January on a whim, very cheap, as in RYF cheap, and have racked up 2500 miles rolling in and out of NYC from the suburbs. Raced my 51-year-old sailboat almost every week with family and a few friends - usually can’t possibly race during the week due to commuting and work travel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020