advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Last year, it was an Apple watch for my wife. This year, for our daughter.
Posted by: wurm
Date: October 30, 2020 02:40PM
And I still don't care know enough about them to make the right choice. The watches, not the family members.

I ended up buying a Series 4 for my wife last year and she loves it and it does everything she wants to do with it. Apparently my daughter has mentioned that she would be happy with one "just like that". Well, as you know the series 4 is discontinued. We don't need or want the latest and greatest, but I think a series 3 is out of the question.

My quick research thus far has me seriously considering the series SE. If I'm understanding correctly, the only thing it doesn't have that the series 6 has is "always on" (which could be a good thing) and the blood oxygen app, which I'm pretty sure she wouldn't care about.

I'm pretty sure her phone is an iPhone 6, like my wife's. Doesn't need cellular; GPS will be fine. Anything else I should be considering? And yes, cost is a factor.

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Last year, it was an Apple watch for my wife. This year, for our daughter.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 30, 2020 03:03PM
SE is pretty much a 4 in disguse, so fine choice if on on budget.

Oh, and they are a few bucks off at amazon right now.

Id go with the larger one, both my wife and daughter preferred it over the smaller (they are both 5' 3")

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2020 03:33PM by jdc.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 30, 2020 03:39PM
you need at least an iphone 6s for the current watch OS whether you get the 3 or SE.

i'm 5'6". i prefer the smaller 40mm size.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2020 03:41PM by graylocks.
Date: October 30, 2020 03:56PM
jdc
SE is pretty much a 4 in disguse, so fine choice if on on budget.

Id go with the larger one, both my wife and daughter preferred it over the smaller (they are both 5' 3")

Thanks. That's what I thought about the SE. As to size, I remember similar thoughts when I bought my wife's last year and I went with the 40mm. I've frequently asked if the thinks she would have liked the bigger one and she says no, but who knows.
Date: October 30, 2020 04:00PM
graylocks
you need at least an iphone 6s for the current watch OS whether you get the 3 or SE.

i'm 5'6". i prefer the smaller 40mm size.

I'll have to check. Maybe her phone is a 6s. That'd stink if it weren't compatible. I'm not buying a phone, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2020 04:00PM by wurm.
Date: October 30, 2020 04:17PM
jdc

Yep. Same at Best Buy: $259 (regular $279). Great if her phone is compatible.
Date: October 30, 2020 04:22PM
If its a 6S, maybe time for a trade in?

ATT will give you $350 for a 6S towards a 12. =)

----

Date: October 30, 2020 04:31PM
If she wants a new phone, she can buy a new phone. smiling smiley
Date: October 30, 2020 05:23PM
And the good news is...I just logged onto T-Mobile to check our account and she has an iPhone 8, so the SE should be fine. Thanks.
Date: October 30, 2020 05:55PM
wurm
And the good news is...I just logged onto T-Mobile to check our account and she has an iPhone 8, so the SE should be fine. Thanks.

Well... not sure what TMobile is doing -- but ATT will give you $800 trade in for an 8. (if you have an unlimited plan). No where can you sell an 8 for $800.

Free iPhone 12... or $70 ish in tax...

if you read my post from about a week ago, we traded in 2 XRs + a 7 for near $2000 in credit + new phone plan = $15 month cheaper.... go figure. So if you guys are all bundled...

Just looked at Tmobiles site -- same and even better deals. $380 for a old SE!! ATT was $0 for anything older than a 6.

----

Date: October 30, 2020 06:03PM
Damn. I may have to investigate.

I'm happy with my legacy SE on an ATT MVNO, as I like the smaller form factor. My wife, daughter and son are on a T-Mo Family Plan. My son is an Android guy, but my wife has a 6, and as I said, daughter has an 8.
Date: October 30, 2020 06:10PM
LOL sorry. =)

I was floored at the T-M SE trade in. My advice... call them. Sales reps are awesome. Prob have to commit to some 2 year deal, but pfft.

I too love my OG SE... only 7 days until the 12 mini comes out... IF ATT would give me near $400 for it... no brainer, Id upgrade. Sticking with OG SE for now.

----

Posted by: Michael
Date: October 31, 2020 06:30AM
jdc
LOL sorry. =)

I was floored at the T-M SE trade in. My advice... call them. Sales reps are awesome. Prob have to commit to some 2 year deal, but pfft.

I too love my OG SE... only 7 days until the 12 mini comes out... IF ATT would give me near $400 for it... no brainer, Id upgrade. Sticking with OG SE for now.

That's pretty amazing. I had checked TMobile when the 12's just came out and it wasn't nearly this good. I figured we'd shift from Google Fi to the TMobile old guy plan when they started doing great deals on the 12's. We have second gen SE's so we'd net a profit on them going to the 12 mini. I think we'll do it, assuming the immediate reviews are as good as they are for the regular 12's.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 31, 2020 03:36PM
that 12Mini is damn near the same size as the 5/5s/SE. The only thing, My Watch-4 does just about everything I would WANT a smaller phone to do, basically music and calls while exercising . Its really freeing to go out wearing shorts, tshirt, watch and BT headphones.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: October 31, 2020 04:00PM
Rolando
that 12Mini is damn near the same size as the 5/5s/SE. The only thing, My Watch-4 does just about everything I would WANT a smaller phone to do, basically music and calls while exercising . Its really freeing to go out wearing shorts, tshirt, watch and BT headphones.

Ive talked about going that route several times here... OG SE is the perfect size... but even smaller would be fine.

So celluar watch seems like a good choice. Im not a watch wearer tho... so would have to learn that.

Michael -- thos are T Mobiles prices.

----

Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 31, 2020 05:49PM
jdc
So celluar watch seems like a good choice. Im not a watch wearer tho... so would have to learn that.

Think of it as a modern ipod

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 66
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020