advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any CarPlay experts? Dad got a new car, but no Apple joy.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 30, 2020 06:26PM
His phone is on 14.1 but he’s telling me it’s not working with his new ride. I HOPE CarPlay doesn’t require frequent software updates for the CAR?

The dealer is of course flummoxed. Maybe there’s a Ctrl-Alt-Delete for Hondas. (I’ll have him do something similar for his iPhone.)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any CarPlay experts? Dad got a new car, but no Apple joy.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: October 30, 2020 06:34PM
I had to rent a couple of rentals from Enterprise earlier this month - Car play kinda auto detects when u plug a USB charge directly into the Car USB port to give basic functions (maps, calls, etc). I was surprised it was so "automatic"

Full functionality is Bluetooth - does the Phone see the car as a device?

Does Pairing fail?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 30, 2020 07:12PM
The dealer needs to fix it. At very least they need to show it working with an iPhone even if it’s not your dads iPhone.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 30, 2020 07:23PM
Is there a place in the car's menu to enable CarPlay?

Which USB port is he connecting to? Sometimes there's a port in the dash or in front of the armrest that's CarPlay compatible. Sometimes the ones in the armrest console aren't.

What cable is he using? Try another cable.

The only times that I've had issues with CarPlay were either problematic cables or a semi-faulty USB port in a rental car (I think a previous renter tried to put the cable in reversed). Say what you want about a lightning jack, it sure makes it easier and less risky to plug in. An what idiot designed a spring loaded cover over a USB port in a cubby that requires one to hold the cover open with one finger while using fingers on the same hand to attempt to plug in a cable?
Date: October 30, 2020 07:28PM
Thanks guys. Naturally I know nothing about any diagnostics anyone has done. He’s going back the dealer tomorrow to see if they get his phone to work with any of the others on the lot. That’ll be interesting. I agree the dealer should be well-versed in this by now.
Date: October 30, 2020 07:37PM
deckeda
Thanks guys. Naturally I know nothing about any diagnostics anyone has done. He’s going back the dealer tomorrow to see if they get his phone to work with any of the others on the lot. That’ll be interesting. I agree the dealer should be well-versed in this by now.

I doubt it. Most of the sales people have no clue what they're selling. What Honda? You should be able to google it or find the manual online.

Or take a look at this video.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 30, 2020 08:03PM
deckeda

Tell him to try it with an original Apple Lightning cable before he risks his life sitting in his car with a stranger trying to demo the problem.

Posted by: jims
Date: October 30, 2020 08:06PM
On our Mazda CX5 there is only one usb port that works with Carplay. It took me a while to figure out why it wasn't working.

jims
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 30, 2020 08:14PM
It would be much easier if we knew the year and model of Honda.

I think the best tip being given is to double check which USB port is connected to the Audio system. Usually it's only one of them that will work. Other ports only work for charging.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2020 10:21AM by Markintosh.
Posted by: SurfMacJpMtb
Date: October 30, 2020 11:10PM
I do not have any experience with Honda's but when I first started "Carplay'ng" it was all about using a good Apple cable. I sometimes have to unlock my iPhone.

I would also give the iPhone a restart. After the restart, start the Honda, unlock the phone, plug it in, and it should connect.

A quick search will reveal other frustrations with connecting via CarPlay.

Long time Mac user

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2020 11:10PM by SurfMacJpMtb.
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 30, 2020 11:15PM
Friend has a Sienna. He’s had issues that should be solved with newer firmware. The Toyota dealer didn’t have a clue.
Posted by: Michael
Date: October 31, 2020 06:25AM
We're able to do it with a 3" aftermarket Lightning cable in our 2020 Honda CRV Touring and 2nd gen SE phones. I think we had to pair it the first time and now it just opens up.
Date: October 31, 2020 07:17AM
Phone needs to be unlocked.

There should be a CarPlay icon on the car display. Touch the icon and the process should start unless the wrong USB port is being used or the cable is bad.

You shouldn't have to do Bluetooth pairing for the process to work unless newer Hondas support wireless CarPlay.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 31, 2020 07:30AM
I bet he's plugging into the wrong USB port. It needs to be plugged directly into the car, not an adapter, and even then, some cars have only one specific USB port that works with CarPlay.

Posts like these with the lack of details are hard to solve.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: October 31, 2020 04:37PM
deckeda
His phone is on 14.1 but he’s telling me it’s not working with his new ride…Hondas.

Make sure he's using an Mfi-certified cable. That's important. And, as others have noted, make sure he's plugging into a CarPlay-enabled USB port.

Then follow the advice here: [support.apple.com]

If you still have trouble, there may be a problem (dirt/dust?) with the Lightning port on his iPhone.

Also, for reliable CarPlay activation/automatic re-activation, you should check two settings on your iPhone:

Settings: General: CarPlay: your vehicle: Allow CarPlay While Locked --> enable!
Settings: Face ID & Passcode: USB Accessories -->enable!*

* This one may not be necessary; note that enabling it decreases device security if someone tries to access your iPhone using USB-based cracking devices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2020 04:39PM by Article Accelerator.
Date: November 02, 2020 11:40AM
Thanks everyone. All I know is it’s a new CR-V. The dealer remains clueless. Being across the country there’s not much troubleshooting I can do for him but I’ll give him this info.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 153
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020