advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
transferring Win 10 OS to new SSD for a PC (with a wrinkle)
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 30, 2020 06:40PM
when converting a platter to an SSD in a Windows 10 Home box, I see that most sites specify a drive bigger than the current drive. This will not be the case when I do the transfer, as the 1tb drive will be replaced with something like a 256gb drive. We don't need the space in this machine, and in fact, I'd go smaller if I though I could get away with it.

so, will I run into problems by having a smaller capacity drive than the existing, even if the new drive would be more than enough?

(also, any hints at doing this would be appreciated.)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: transferring Win 10 OS to new SSD for a PC (with a wrinkle)
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 30, 2020 07:05PM
You need to keep the drive under 90% full (under 75% is better) or it can wear out much faster. There may be hidden partitions. You can see them in Disk Management Control Panel. 256 GB formats out to 237 GB, it should be okay as long as the partition is significantly smaller than 210 GB.

Most utilities (like Macrium Reflect) are usually pretty good at doing this. It actually has more problems transferring to a larger drive, especially if there is a hidden OEM Recovery partition after the Boot/Storage partition.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: rouderon
Date: October 31, 2020 10:38AM
I 2nd Macrium Reflect! I have used their free version to clone larger hdd to smaller ssd. Once it's done, you may have to open Disk Management and reclaim unused space on the ssd.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 31, 2020 10:59AM
Thanks, folks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 46
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020