advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I vote for new way to Trick or Treat
Posted by: samintx
Date: October 30, 2020 07:01PM
I think the clever ways candy is being dispensed is so clever it should continue.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I vote for new way to Trick or Treat
Posted by: DP
Date: October 30, 2020 07:37PM
We are using a gutter to deliver treats. They stop at the end of the gutter at the steps to our porch and we send it down the angled gutter into their bags! Then they can walk to the driveway so they don't walk back against the incoming line of trick-or-treaters.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 30, 2020 08:08PM
I am in the process of building my 10 foot candy slide from the second floor bedroom that goes out to the drive way. It's a 3 inch ABS pipe decorated with orange lights and will terminate in a pumpkin basket. We've been minimalistic when it comes to halloween decorations the last few years. We committed a bit late this year and stores had moved on to Christmas decorations already when I decided to look. I'm allergic to the squash family. The last time I carved a pumpkin it was hives galore...so that is out.

Candy will go into the chute with tongs.

One thing I know for sure is that this method will be way easier with dogs, who tend to go insane on halloween. We had considered skipping Halloween, but the church at the end of the street is holding their celebration that normally involves a couple of hundred kids, and many of the them wander our street before and after.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 30, 2020 08:17PM
Markintosh
We had considered skipping Halloween, but the church at the end of the street is holding their celebration that normally involves a couple of hundred kids, and many of the them wander our street before and after.

Why are they trying to kill their children?
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 30, 2020 09:22PM
Steve G.
Markintosh
We had considered skipping Halloween, but the church at the end of the street is holding their celebration that normally involves a couple of hundred kids, and many of the them wander our street before and after.

Jesus saves? They've been pushing COVID guidelines since March...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: d4
Date: October 30, 2020 09:36PM
I'm putting a bowl of candy in the driveway at noon. Kids can pick the treats off the ground like the filthy animals they are for going house to house begging for candy during a pandemic. When it runs out, it runs out.

Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: October 31, 2020 06:02AM
I love this idea, too - I am thinking Rube Goldberg machines would be amazing. We don’t get trick or treaters in a normal year, though.

How about a carveable foam pumpkin? I did one from Michael’s a few years ago and it was nice to keep it instead of all of that effort rotting after a few days.

I am hiking in costume today...maybe getting some good ice cream. I guess that’s it.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: October 31, 2020 06:50AM
Steve G.
Markintosh

Back when my small neighborhood was full of young families most of us would go all out for Halloween for the neighborhood kids. Then some of the churches in the inner cities and surrounding communities got wind of the "haul" then could make in our neighborhood and they started sending bus loads of kids in to trick or treat. As a result our neighborhood has become a graveyard for Halloween not - almost nobody does anything anymore, we all turn off the porch lights, lock up the pets and refuse to answer the doors. Its been that way for years now and I don't see it changing anytime soon.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 31, 2020 08:42AM
I wonder if there's any no-contact way for me to leave stuff for them to pick up -- I could just leave all the candy in a bowl or whatever, but that's not exactly the most hygienic thing for the kiddies.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 31, 2020 11:59AM
RecipeForDisaster
I love this idea, too - I am thinking Rube Goldberg machines would be amazing.

A great idea for ANY year. I hope amusing complex candy-dispensing machines becomes a regular feature for Halloween.

I'll bet a clever person...or company...could sell many, many of them for a whole bunch of money. (Just look what they get for plain old blowup thingies with a minimal amount of creativity.)

Allowing each buyer to customize them to stand out would be an interesting problem to solve. (extra props extra, of course)
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 31, 2020 12:26PM
I'll maintain my traditional Halloween candy celebration — starting tomorrow and fore a few days afterwards, I'll check for sales on candy at the local Safeway.

I never did find one of the three special edition bags of Orange Vanilla Creme M&Ms that Mars made, though.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: August West
Date: October 31, 2020 12:53PM
Wow, welcoming bunch filled with generosity in your compound. smiley_gun_sniper

bobinmurphy
Steve G.
Markintosh

Back when my small neighborhood was full of young families most of us would go all out for Halloween for the neighborhood kids. Then some of the churches in the inner cities and surrounding communities got wind of the "haul" then could make in our neighborhood and they started sending bus loads of kids in to trick or treat. As a result our neighborhood has become a graveyard for Halloween not - almost nobody does anything anymore, we all turn off the porch lights, lock up the pets and refuse to answer the doors. Its been that way for years now and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Michael
Date: October 31, 2020 01:36PM
We have 3 families with little ones on our street and they all come by early. After they come we're going to shut down and turn off the lights. I think we'll pick out the Hershey bars from the basket with a glove on. I don't think that will make any difference but it will probably make parents more comfortable so we'll do it.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 31, 2020 06:15PM
We'll get 4-5 16-year-olds.

I give them a load of candy and hope they don't ask for my wallet.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 65
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020