advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Did You Know: New Atari Console?!
Posted by: SteveO
Date: October 30, 2020 08:40PM
Atari VCS. New and classic games. Yes, it has a joystick! Slated for release this fall. Which is um...now. So in November I guess.

The PS5 and Xbox Series X aren't the only new pieces of gaming hardware launching this fall. It may seem odd to think there might be a new Atari console in 2020, but that's exactly what's happening.

The Atari VCS represents the iconic gaming brand's return to the console market. It's an intriguing approach, to be sure. It combines both PC and console sensibilities, and it's meant to showcase arcade and retro titles as well as modern games. It's also capable of streaming movies and TV in 4K.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Did You Know: New Atari Console?!
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: October 30, 2020 08:47PM
Interesting. While many new games feature lush, you-are-there graphics, the actual gameplay can be a little sparse. With Atari's huge library of proven, simple yet fun arcade-style games to balance out any newer ones that might get released for the platform, this could be a winning formula.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: October 30, 2020 09:13PM
I ordered one like three years ago when the original crowdfunding thing was a thing. Backed out at the last moment when it looked it it was vaporware.

I regret nether backing out--it's over priced, and years behind schedule--nor the fact that it looks like they pulled it off--good for them! But still waiting to see whether it actually works or not....
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 31, 2020 12:57PM
Apple or MS or Sony could have licensed and ported those cheaply. I wish they would.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: SteveO
Date: November 01, 2020 12:51PM
Yes to all of that. Their classic library could be a LOT of fun. They'd probably make it a subscription thing...which for me would not work. I don't have enough enthusiasm to shell out monthly for that. But I'd consider a low-priced console like those portable ones that were sold in the early '00s at TJ Maxx, etc. that included just a few games like Dig Dug, Xevious, etc. They had A/V plugs and ran on batteries. Still have mine and occasionally dig them out.

To have an entire library - would be very cool. They ought to partner with the Intellivision and Colecovision folks and offer all the classics (and potential new games) on one console.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020