advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
7:00pm. Some kid emptied my entire unattended candy bucket into his/her bag.
Posted by: d4
Date: October 31, 2020 07:10PM
7:00pm. Some kid emptied my entire unattended candy bucket into his/her bag.

At 6:30pm the bucket was running low so I made one last refill for the night with at least 30-40 pieces of candy. At 7:00pm I glance outside and see the bucket is on it's side. I thought it got accidentally knocked over. I go outside to fix it and see the entire bucket is empty. There are 3 pieces of candy scattered on the ground. Whoever took the candy hurriedly dumped it into his/her bag carelessly and left fast. The bucket is 10 feet from my open kitchen window. I didn't hear a single peep out there.

On the one hand, it was candy that no one in the house really likes. And I rather someone else eat it than me or my kids. But on the other hand, the principle of some punk POS kid dumping an entire bucket of candy into his/her bag and running off pisses me off. I wish him/her lots of pain in the dentist chair. Good night.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 7:00pm. Some kid emptied my entire unattended candy bucket into his/her bag.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 31, 2020 07:19PM
Interesting. I was trying to figure out how to do the no-contact thing, and here's what I came up with:

Large red Solo cups, on the sides of which I've randomly drawn various Hallowe'en-related art with a black Sharpie, each filled with goodies, set on my porch right in front of my front door, and a sign on the door with an arrow pointing downwards, simply telling them to take a cup ... with no need to ring the doorbell. Contactless candy delivery. grinning smiley I have Ring video where I can hear a dad say, "I like this!" ... which cracked me up. So far, three cups have been taken, and the folks were even nice enough to leave the empty cups there, which they really didn't need to do... in fact, I would have wanted them to take the cups as a memento... some of my art was actually pretty decent.

Edit: I just had an older woman, by herself, in some sort of bunny costume take like 2-3 cups worth ... I'm guessing she was trick-or-treating on behalf of some kids... at least, I hope so! smiling bouncing smiley

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2020 07:44PM by PeterB.
Re: 7:00pm. Some kid emptied my entire unattended candy bucket into his/her bag.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 31, 2020 07:38PM
at least the kid goes home and minimizes the exposure risk
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: October 31, 2020 07:48PM
We live in an affluent neighborhood, so it surprises me that the last few years we haven’t had any trick-or-treaters. This year I decided to buy half as much candy as normal. We’ve already had several groups of multiple children each, and I’ve had to make a run to the store to get more (luckily store is five minutes away). What the hell?

P. S. - Half the kids are wearing masks and the other half have some kind of face paint. I’m wearing a mask (surgical kind) and doling out the goods individually.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: October 31, 2020 07:49PM
We have individual pieces of wrapped candy--Milky Way, Twix, etc.-- taped to our porch railing and on tomato plant wire cages. Thinking was that this would take a lot more time and effort for some thieving kid to make off with the whole shebang. 'Course it took a lot more time and effort to set up.

edit: Friends in an affluent neighborhood here in town last year had over 700 kids. They have moved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2020 07:51PM by lost in space.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 31, 2020 07:52PM
........Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 31, 2020 08:02PM
While we may or may not get any children, we always get older teens(16+). I just give them what they want and hope it isn't my wallet or car keys.

This year, they didn't even show up.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Don C
Date: October 31, 2020 09:16PM
One group of three kids came tonight toward the end of the "allowed" window of opportunity. I did notice a few nicely costumed groups on one street over but those kids did not make it over our way.

Bummer to have one individual spoil it. (Kind of true for a lot of life!)
Date: October 31, 2020 09:33PM
.....could have been adults......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2020 07:29PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 31, 2020 09:53PM
We did the 10 foot candy slide from the second floor window. We had probably about 45 kids from the neighborhood, which exhausted our 150 piece bag from Costco.

We did a bike ride around several neighborhoods around town today and it seems like our street had the most houses decorated and in the spirit of Halloween. It helps that this street is 100% full time residents with no AirBnB houses. There's a lot of young families with kids, and dogs, ending on a culdesac.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Ammo
Date: October 31, 2020 10:15PM
We put individual bags of treats on a small table about 6’ outside of our front door. It worked well because the trick or treaters could see our table from the street and we could stand behind our door with masks while we talked to them.

Interestingly enough, our neighbors directly across the street passed out candy by hand if you came to their door. Almost all of the kids walking with their parents came to our door but did not go to the neighbors across the street. My guess is that maybe the parents didn’t want to risk exposing our neighbors if their kids had to be in such close proximity to get their candy. dunno smiley

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 31, 2020 10:43PM
We turned off all the lights and my spouse joined me for an evening repose in our bedroom.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 01, 2020 12:16PM
Speedy
We turned off all the lights and my spouse joined me for an evening repose in our bedroom.

So was that a trick or a treat?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 01, 2020 02:46PM
Human nature being what it is, and kids being what they are, you had to expect there was a better than even chance this would happen, and that it should be no surprise.

We don't get kids out this way, so no candy issues.

But being the sort of guy I am, there's be no unattended candy dish, and I'd probably anchor it down somehow.

That could be a project for next year, some kind of hidden slide/quick release mount and jar or bowl with a small opening so even tiny fistfuls of candy can't happen.

Or, just do as you did and accept that it may and probably will happen again.

Because human nature isn't always pretty.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: November 01, 2020 07:01PM
Ombligo
Speedy

I would guess it was both for both of them. thumbsup smiley

Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: November 01, 2020 07:23PM
This subreddit has a whole bunch of videos (mostly doorbell camera videos) of people (often adults) stealing all the candy:

[www.reddit.com]

[www.zeemaps.com]
Date: November 01, 2020 07:30PM
.....could have been adults....why blame kids....especially when you said you saw nothing.....

Date: November 01, 2020 09:19PM
The UnDoug
This subreddit has a whole bunch of videos (mostly doorbell camera videos) of people (often adults) stealing all the candy:

[www.reddit.com]

In addition to aforementioned older woman in a bunny costume, I got an adult who I could swear was a match for the Unabomber taking candy at 1AM (I left it out there, figuring that someone would take it!).

Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 02, 2020 01:28AM
PeterB
Ombligo
Speedy

I would guess it was both for both of them. thumbsup smiley

You guessed correctly!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: fauch
Date: November 02, 2020 01:51PM
I hate to admit it, but my friends and I probably would have done the same when we were punk POS kids... On a positive note, at we would not have egged or TPd your house in gratitude...
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 02, 2020 02:25PM
fauch
I hate to admit it, but my friends and I probably would have done the same when we were punk POS kids... On a positive note, at we would not have egged or TPd your house in gratitude...

I'm not being critical of you directly. For my part, I think having come upon houses that tried leaving out bowls, which were left empty by said punk kids who got there before I did made me realize what a lousy thing that was to do.

Worst my friends and I ever did was to switch costumes and double up on the houses that had good stuff.
Posted by: d4
Date: November 02, 2020 03:47PM
mikebw
fauch

I'm not being critical of you directly. For my part, I think having come upon houses that tried leaving out bowls, which were left empty by said punk kids who got there before I did made me realize what a lousy thing that was to do.

Worst my friends and I ever did was to switch costumes and double up on the houses that had good stuff.

I mean, I get it, there will always be greedy people who only think about themselves. And an unattended bowl of candy is too tempting for low-lifes. So instead of taking 1-2 pieces like a normal person. They might take a handful. 2 handfuls even. But this POS picked the entire bucket up and emptied it into their bag, carelessly dropping candy on the ground in the process. I'm surprised they didn't take the pump bottle of Purell too.

It's like someone going to Costco and emptying the entire tray of free chocolate samples into a bag and walking away.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 187
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020