advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Car Play Experience?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 31, 2020 09:08PM
Just picked up a new to me work truck. Base model, it has power windows and power locks(but no key fobs), rubber floors, bench seats....and an FM only radio.

Two hours later and I can't stand FM radio and all the ads(especially the political ads) and I need my XM and Pandora back. A FM modulator will work temporarily, but I'm looking at alternatives.

Most of the aftermarket CarPlay receivers seem to require a lightning connector. I would have thought that was wireless, but maybe not? Wondering if I really need CarPlay or if I just need something that has Bluetooth?

Anyone have experience with how the factory carplay works or an aftermarket system?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Car Play Experience?
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 31, 2020 09:15PM
CarPlay is nice since you can use Apps like Waze to avoid traffic.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 31, 2020 09:46PM
The wireless CarPlay thing kind of breaks down when you start navigating with any mapping program. If you're doing a trip of any length, you'll suck down battery too fast and need to plug in anyways. The other thing is many people see driving as the time to give their phone a boost charge, so plugging in is not that big of a deal.

If your truck can fit a double DIN size unit, there's a number of lower end Pioneer media players that can do CarPlay, etc. Sirius can be added to some. If all you do is replace the head unit and stick with the stock speakers, you can DIY install for around $400.

If you only have room for a single DIN, then CarPlay is probably out. If you really need it there are some single DIN units with a larger screen that pops out...but youre looking at closer to $1k for that.

In my older Tacoma, I have a single DIN Alpine unit that can do bluetooth audio from any source, but has functions built in for Pandora and Spotify. It's also Siri capable. Those run just over $100 for DIY.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: October 31, 2020 10:07PM
I have room for a double DIN. I'm thinking of going with the Alpine iLX-W650 and an XM kit. Couldn't find anything with Carplay and XM built in that wasn't $700.

C(-)ris
Posted by: CW2V
Date: October 31, 2020 10:14PM
Got 2 double-din and 1 single-din fold-out screen, all Pioneer. Around $400 to $500+ each.

They can pair up with bluetooth, but not all functions work over it. I plug mine in to get the charge plus all the carplay functions. Music, messages, phone, maps, Siri, etc...

They all have their USB ports in back, so you'll need to plug in a USB extension to bring the USB to the front.

CW2V
Date: October 31, 2020 10:15PM
Seems like a solid choice...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Date: October 31, 2020 10:43PM
CW2V
Got 2 double-din and 1 single-din fold-out screen, all Pioneer. Around $400 to $500+ each.

They can pair up with bluetooth, but not all functions work over it. I plug mine in to get the charge plus all the carplay functions. Music, messages, phone, maps, Siri, etc...

They all have their USB ports in back, so you'll need to plug in a USB extension to bring the USB to the front.

CW2V

Factory has a USB in the fold down armrest in the front bench. Will have to see if I can tap into that.

C(-)ris
Date: October 31, 2020 10:49PM
My experience is that you will need to install something like this:

[www.crutchfield.com]

The USB in your armrest is probably just power only with no data connection. If there is a data connection toward the radio end, it's likely a proprietary connector that will not work with the Alpine.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 31, 2020 10:54PM
Have you checked Crutchfield? I'm seeing some universal fit JVC/Pioneer/Kenwood units starting at around $300 with Carplay and Sirius.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 31, 2020 11:01PM
Regarding wireless carplay - doesn't make sense to me as gps drains your battery. Maybe someday.
Posted by: CW2V
Date: November 01, 2020 12:24AM
Forgot to add, all mine have full size touch screen displays.

CW2V
Posted by: Cary
Date: November 01, 2020 12:42AM
I highly recommend Crutchfield - take a look at their outlet on ebay - I saved about $50 over their website, and still got the install kit, etc.

I bought the Pioneer MVH1400NEX. Plug-in carplay, works really well. My wife's BMW has wireless carplay, works well for a bunch of short trips...
Posted by: raz
Date: November 01, 2020 06:21AM
I think the ideal solution is wireless CarPlay and a Qi charger

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 01, 2020 09:58AM
I won't get another vehicle without it, and I'm looking into adding it to an older vehicle we have. Love it.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 01, 2020 10:00AM
C(-)ris,

I've yet to see a Carplay receiver in a car that requires a lightning adapter. I've used built-in radios in various models from several manufacturers (Mazda, Toyota, and Nissan) and an aftermarket model from JVC. All have USB ports. The JVC model has a front mounted USB port. Minimal setup required. Connect the phone to the appropriate USB port. Carplay comes to the forefront or you press a carplay button. Done.

The thing about Carplay friendly units is they should just work. I don't even use bluetooth when driving my wife's car. No need. Leave the cable connected to the stereo. Connect it to my phone. Done. No muss, no fuss. Carplay just works. The head unit charges the phone. Couldn't be easier.

Although the JVC model in my wife's car is overall nice and works reasonably well, I don't like how the onscreen buttons respond to touch. I'd look at a different brand. My brother has a Sony model in hsi car and loves it. I'd consider a Sony before a JVC based on the unit in his car.

The car audio company I use for aftermarket installations discourages model from Pioneer. Based on his experience, each customer who has one installed in his/her car has issues with it. It's gotten to the point that he discourages purchasing them.

Robert
Date: November 01, 2020 10:47AM
Robert M
C(-)ris,

I've yet to see a Carplay receiver in a car that requires a lightning adapter. I've used built-in radios in various models from several manufacturers (Mazda, Toyota, and Nissan) and an aftermarket model from JVC. All have USB ports. The JVC model has a front mounted USB port. Minimal setup required. Connect the phone to the appropriate USB port. Carplay comes to the forefront or you press a carplay button. Done.

The thing about Carplay friendly units is they should just work. I don't even use bluetooth when driving my wife's car. No need. Leave the cable connected to the stereo. Connect it to my phone. Done. No muss, no fuss. Carplay just works. The head unit charges the phone. Couldn't be easier.

Although the JVC model in my wife's car is overall nice and works reasonably well, I don't like how the onscreen buttons respond to touch. I'd look at a different brand. My brother has a Sony model in hsi car and loves it. I'd consider a Sony before a JVC based on the unit in his car.

The car audio company I use for aftermarket installations discourages model from Pioneer. Based on his experience, each customer who has one installed in his/her car has issues with it. It's gotten to the point that he discourages purchasing them.

Robert

Thanks Robert. I'm going to stop by the local audio install place and see what they say. They also do remote start and keyless which I need as well. Dealership is looking to see if it is possible to add factory fobs and remote start, which I would much prefer. I'm seeing some that have had it done and some that their dealership said no.

I'll probably install the radio myself, I've done dozens and as long as I just have to solder up an adapter and not hack the factory harness I'll go that route. I've ripped out far to many poorly installed remote starts and alarms in cars I've bought.

I prefer Alpine, just always had great luck with them over the years.

C(-)ris
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 01, 2020 10:54AM
C(-)ris,

These days, with all the stuff that's necessary for the proper install, I prefer to let a pro handle it. At the time we had the JVC installed into my wife's car, we also used it as an opportunity to install a backup cam. All in all, ended up costing a bundle but it was worth every penny!

If I decide to keep my Mazda, there is a good chance I'll replace the receiver. Currently, the backup cam flakes out at times and it only supports bluetooth for voice. No carplay. No bluetooth for music. The two things the radio does have that makes me hesitant to replace it are a built-in DVD-based GPS which works amazingly well and steering wheel controls for the audio system.

You might think, wait, just use Waze or a similar app via carplay, right? Nope. They tear through juice and data and can be problematic if you're moving into an area where cellular reception is problematic. Those issues don 't apply to the built-in DVD-based GPS. That and I like steering wheel controls. They come in handy for adjusting the volume of the radio and changing inputs from FM radio to AUX-In to CD, etc.

If I were to replace the radio, I'd pay extra to have the built-in GPS and the steering wheel controls. I use them enough to make them a worthwhile expense. The problem is they more than double the price of the receiver.

Robert
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 01, 2020 11:18AM
What is your ultimate goal? Is it to be able to listen to SiriusXM, music off your phone or to also have on screen navigation? If you don't need on screen, does your current headunit have bluetooth? If so, you should be able to stream from the SiriusXM app to your car. I have done so in several rental cars.

If it doesn't have bluetooth, does it have an auxiliary input? There are bluetooth adapters that may work.

That being said, I really like CarPlay. There's pretty much no reason to buy factory nav if you have CarPlay. That is unless you head into areas with limited to no cell service.

raz

This.
Date: November 01, 2020 12:18PM
macphanatic
What is your ultimate goal? Is it to be able to listen to SiriusXM, music off your phone or to also have on screen navigation? If you don't need on screen, does your current headunit have bluetooth? If so, you should be able to stream from the SiriusXM app to your car. I have done so in several rental cars.

If it doesn't have bluetooth, does it have an auxiliary input? There are bluetooth adapters that may work.

That being said, I really like CarPlay. There's pretty much no reason to buy factory nav if you have CarPlay. That is unless you head into areas with limited to no cell service.

raz

This.

Current radio is FM only. Base model with a tiny screen. Need to have hands free calling, XM, and now that Robert mentioned it a backup camera. Navigation isn't needed neccessarily, but would be nice with CarPlay.

C(-)ris
Posted by: Cary
Date: November 01, 2020 05:47PM
I installed the Pioneer myself - just soldered the specific car adapter and the steering wheel control interface into the radio harness. Hardest thing was getting the new unit mounting adjusted right.

Again, if you go to crutch field .com, there's a huge amount of info there to be had. It'll show you which units will fit, what install gear you need, and, if you buy from them, install instructions for your specific application.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 01, 2020 06:34PM
Cary
I installed the Pioneer myself - just soldered the specific car adapter and the steering wheel control interface into the radio harness. Hardest thing was getting the new unit mounting adjusted right.

Again, if you go to crutch field .com, there's a huge amount of info there to be had. It'll show you which units will fit, what install gear you need, and, if you buy from them, install instructions for your specific application.

That's the benefit of Crutchfield. They aren't usually the cheapest, but you get the necessary stuff for a basic installation plus vehicle specific instructions. Plus, they have tech support available.
Date: November 01, 2020 08:46PM
And Crutchfield will do a readymade harness for you for like $25. It was totally worth it for my last install in my Promaster van.

The downside is the Metra dash kits currently supplied by Crutchfield are not as high quality as what they used to provide. There's better kits out there if you're willing to find it and pay for it. Scosche is one of the better brands.

Date: November 01, 2020 09:50PM
Markintosh
And Crutchfield will do a readymade harness for you for like $25. It was totally worth it for my last install in my Promaster van.

The downside is the Metra dash kits currently supplied by Crutchfield are not as high quality as what they used to provide. There's better kits out there if you're willing to find it and pay for it. Scosche is one of the better brands.

That is one of the downsides of the internet is that you can't touch and feel the quality of something. On the plus side, there are plenty of reviews to read.

C(-)ris
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 01, 2020 10:20PM
Markintosh

Abso elfin' lutely!!!

That was the hardest part last time I installed a JVC into my 1980 Toyota in 1989!!!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 02, 2020 10:31AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2020 11:39AM by deckeda.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 02, 2020 11:47AM
Dealership is looking to see if it is possible to add factory fobs and remote start, which I would much prefer. I'm seeing some that have had it done and some that their dealership said no.

Join a forum that discusses your truck. Chances are good there isn’t much additional to buy to get OEM remote fobs working. You just the part # and the knowledge to program them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 180
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020