advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Gas patio heater
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: November 01, 2020 07:39AM
So my daughter had a Halloween viewing of a scary movie on our brand new refinished deck and honestly it was an amazing hit. There were 7 kids. All social distanced. All wore masks. And more importantly, all were freezing.

So I got to thinking. All the get togethers my daughter has gone to have been in a yard with a fire pit. Thats not an option. So I started thinking about those patio heaters they have at restaurants. We have a 12 x 30 deck with a pergola over it. Would one of those be a good option for heat out there?

No idea how they work, or if they aren't supposed to be used close to a structure or on a wood deck or anything. So I figured I'd ask here if anyone either has one or has any experience with one. Good ones. Bad ones. Etc.

Re: Gas patio heater
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 01, 2020 08:56AM
Tough to buy one here. Sold out as every restaurant around is buying as many as they can get...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2020 09:24AM by Markintosh.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 01, 2020 08:59AM
....what he said.....the news said mostly sold out everywhere due to restaurants buying them all up......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 01, 2020 09:14AM
Check craigslist and marketplace, not unusual to find new ones or nearly new

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 01, 2020 09:16AM
We use one on our deck during the winter. It's heat is only felt in the area very very close to it. It's very difficult to heat the outdoors. :-) I almost wonder if electric blankets wouldn't be better in your scenario.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 01, 2020 10:35AM
If you have a bunch of money, mounting an infrared tube heater to the pergola would be amazing.

[sunstarheaters.com]

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: November 01, 2020 10:51AM
....Pati O'Furniture......

Posted by: GGD
Date: November 01, 2020 11:44AM
Our family had similar thoughts last month about getting propane heaters so that we could have family dinners outdoors for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We thought that we would need to act fast while things were in stock.

Since we don't have any actual experience yet, I don't know how well these will work, but we wound up buying two Tank Top heaters from Amazon for about $93 each. They were well reviewed on Amazon. But they're currently sold out.

[www.amazon.com]

I got two because I already own two propane tanks for the outdoor grill (primary and backup). I preferred these tank top units to the restaurant style "lamps" because they store much easier when not needed, and I was also concerned about potential shipping damage on the larger/heavier "lamps". I also liked that these were 45,000 BTUs on the highest setting, that's a lot compared to many other propane heaters.

Here's the web page for the manufacturer, and the model I got (MH540T), they seem to have it in stock if you buy directly from them.

[www.mrheater.com]
[www.mrheater.com]

But I really don't know how well this will work out for us, I think a lot will depend on temperature and wind. I view them as a propane firepit since they're lower down, but there is some tilt that can be done to the head. Maybe others have real world experience.

Here's the link to the manual that has a diagram showing clearances, it needs to be 27" above something combustible, which seems to be exactly it's height when mounted to a tank, so it's probably safe on a deck, or maybe get a large tile to place under the tank. It needs 3' to the sides and 4' above it.
[m.media-amazon.com]

Here's a couple of YouTube video reviews to see what it looks like in action.
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 01, 2020 12:59PM
We went with this for our patio. Dining and fire in one. It's allowed us to feel okay about having our son and future DIL over for a lunch or dinner since things have gotten chillier.

[www.lowes.com]

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Bo
Date: November 01, 2020 01:01PM
Just get one (or two). You won't regret it.

We've had one for over 15 years and it has become integral to our lifestyle. We have a small house, we like to entertain (at least before Covid) and need to make good use of our outdoor space. Between the heater and fire table I built we can spend evenings outside year round (mind you it's mild California climate). It doesn't heat an enormous area but those within 4' radius of the base will be toasty and those up to 8'-9' away will also benefit assuming no to minimal wind.

The reflector directs most heat out and down rather than up so should be okay under a pergola assuming you have at least 24" of clearance or more. Ours lives outside in the elements year round and only needs to be occasionally brushed down, blown off and some pipe cleaners into gas offices if spiders have gotten in.

Photo from just last night. A bit messy but the outdoor bathtub/shower project is a go! Scored the tub yesterday but need to extend the deck around the corner for privacy. Should be a nice addition.

Date: November 01, 2020 02:11PM
....outside bathtub is like a blue pill.....commercial......

Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: November 01, 2020 04:08PM
NewtonMP2100
....outside bathtub is like a blue pill.....commercial......

But then he’d need two bathtubs..

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: lost in space
Date: November 01, 2020 04:09PM
Sister and BIL have one like Bo's. Don't know the brand, but it works well for them. Been over for dinner on cool--not freezing cold--near Seattle and it made a big difference. Still needed jackets, but the the heater really took the edge off.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 01, 2020 05:15PM
After looking at your other post with the photos of the setup, I'd be inclined to run a radiant heater down each side and angled a little inward. Probably not cheap, but with would make viewers warmer.
Posted by: Michael
Date: November 01, 2020 08:02PM
We bought one of these a couple of years ago when they were about 1/3 off: [www.homedepot.com]

It's pretty cool with the flame rotating around and it will heat about 4 feet away at about 50 degrees. But, much farther away than that and it's only minimally effective. At warmer outdoor temps it does a fine job at a greater distance.
Date: November 01, 2020 08:30PM
.....but baby.....it's cold outside.....

Date: November 02, 2020 05:06AM
Lots more options to consider than I thought. I like the mounted radiant heat. The idea of getting up off the ground and out of the way is appealing. But I do like the standing ones too. They just look cooler. Hmmm...will need to do some thinking.

Date: November 02, 2020 07:03AM
bazookaman
Lots more options to consider than I thought. I like the mounted radiant heat. The idea of getting up off the ground and out of the way is appealing. But I do like the standing ones too. They just look cooler. Hmmm...will need to do some thinking.

Radiant heaters will warm the people and they will begin to feel warm much faster than other options. I've experienced their use in outdoor cafes in Europe during colder periods. They work really well. As they're up and out of the way, less risk of kids touching or falling into them.

The nice looking heaters will provide warmth if you're in close proximity but become much less effective as distance increases. For your layout, you would need several of them.
Date: November 02, 2020 07:23AM
macphanatic
bazookaman

Radiant heaters will warm the people and they will begin to feel warm much faster than other options. I've experienced their use in outdoor cafes in Europe during colder periods. They work really well. As they're up and out of the way, less risk of kids touching or falling into them.

The nice looking heaters will provide warmth if you're in close proximity but become much less effective as distance increases. For your layout, you would need several of them.

I'm starting to think that too. Need to be more practical about it. Having heat up and away will be better. The problem is where to mount it. On the top pointing down? I doubt I could use more than one as it would probably trip the breaker. Which is another positive for the free standing ones. For those I could just use a propane tank. No muss no fuss.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2020 07:33AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: rz
Date: November 02, 2020 08:14AM
We have one, but we don't get too many cold evenings in FL. I was using them to protect plants during the once or twice a year we would get a freeze. But we haven't had a freeze in like 5 years.

A few years ago, we got two smaller electric patio heaters. They're miniature versions of the LP heater Bo has pictured above (about 3' high). They are great. No worries about running out of propane. They're small and portable. And they were on clearance for $49 each. When we have a freeze, I can set them up on a timer.
Posted by: d4
Date: November 02, 2020 10:19AM
I commute to work by train. In the winter, many of the outdoor stations have been using overhead heaters at the waiting areas. Similar to pizza / french fry heat lamps, but bigger. You are warm and toasty standing directly under it in the light. But take 2 steps away from it and it's cold.

Restaurants are using big vinyl party tents with side flaps to block the wind with heaters inside. But that kind of defeats the purpose of safely eating outdoors during the pandemic by enclosing in the outdoor diners, doesn't it?

Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 02, 2020 11:02AM
d4
I commute to work by train. In the winter, many of the outdoor stations have been using overhead heaters at the waiting areas. Similar to pizza / french fry heat lamps, but bigger. You are warm and toasty standing directly under it in the light. But take 2 steps away from it and it's cold.

Restaurants are using big vinyl party tents with side flaps to block the wind with heaters inside. But that kind of defeats the purpose of safely eating outdoors during the pandemic by enclosing in the outdoor diners, doesn't it?

I bought a smaller radiant heater and it works like a flashlight, so as you described it is very directional. Ours has variable output so it can be quite warm but only if it is pointing at you.

I have thought the same about the vinyl flaps. At some point you are just building an enclosure the same as being indoors.
Date: November 02, 2020 12:52PM
.....can you hire a person to warm you up.........like hookers and booze but no fringe benefit action [ hands outside clothing only ].....???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2020 12:53PM by NewtonMP2100.
Date: November 02, 2020 04:27PM
bazookaman
macphanatic
bazookaman

I'm starting to think that too. Need to be more practical about it. Having heat up and away will be better. The problem is where to mount it. On the top pointing down? I doubt I could use more than one as it would probably trip the breaker. Which is another positive for the free standing ones. For those I could just use a propane tank. No muss no fuss.

You can get mountable radiant heaters that run off of natural gas or propane. Power requirements aren't significant.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020