advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Watch 6: Frustrating iPhone Battery Loss - Tips?
Posted by: SteveO
Date: November 01, 2020 01:16PM
Received my AW6 GPS (no cellular) a few weeks ago. Very handy device and glad I sprung for it as I use the HR and ECG apps quite often. Finding all the Health apps quite useful. Problem is, the Watch will drain my iPhone original SE battery in no time...and this is a new phone via our Sponsor - bought 18 months ago...now it only lasts AT MOST about 2/3 a day now whereas sans Watch, the phone would last me at least a day or two before no battery was left. I don't do anything with it but occasional texting, a few Siri queries here and there, some light browsing, a few calls totaling less than an hour a day.

If I'm tracking a cycling workout (which apparently sucks phone battery even via BT), and streaming Amazon (via cellular), it is catastrophic: the battery dies in less than an hour from a 100% iPhone charge. No other open apps besides maybe texting and Amazon Music or iHeartRadio (podcasts). I could ride the same time/distance before this and only lose about 20-30% of iPhone battery while streaming music or podcasts.

The other day, I whipped my phone out to take a sunset photo...noticed the battery was on about 29% when it should've been on about 89%...I opened the Camera app, and the phone instantly died. I did a hard restart, it showed 9% a few moments later...then it would not restart at all and just died, showing that screen with icon of the power cord and the phone for a few moments before it just went black, to zero power. I was without a phone the last 2 hours of my ride.

It could also/or be an iOS 14 consequence - I had to install that in order to pair my Watch. Short of unpairing and losing all those advantages....got any tips for preserving iPhone battery? I think the only things I have turned on for mirroring are Messages, Health and iPhone. I wanted to turn off music, but I couldn't find a setting for that.

Very frustrating and disappointing experience. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Watch 6: Frustrating iPhone Battery Loss - Tips?
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: November 01, 2020 01:39PM
I don’t believe you need to have the phone on, or with you during your workout. It will sync later in the day. Maybe that will help.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 01, 2020 01:45PM
Have you installed watchOS 7.0.2?

It's supposed to address the battery drain.

Having the 'Phone on and nearby should actually lessen the drain on the Watch, is the 'Phone's GPS is used and not that of the Watch.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 01, 2020 01:50PM
Pretty sure that it's the iOS update.

I have a watch paired with an iPhone 8, phone still on the original battery. The watch battery drains more quickly during a workout. The phone battery doesn't go down detectably faster.

Have you updated to iOS 14.1?

Have you force-rebooted your phone since installing the update? Immediately after the iOS 14 update, my phone battery started draining quickly and the phone got very hot. This was resolved with a force-reboot.

...You sign out of Apple Music by signing out from the App/iTunes store.

Date: November 01, 2020 02:53PM
Guys - thanks, but watch does not have battery issues, at least not to my knowledge. Battery issues are with iPhone. I do need my phone with me in case of emergency on the bike. I may need to unpair though. Frustrating.

Sarcany--
Yes, latest OS on my OG iPhone SE (14.1). Watch just installed 7.0.2 now but apparently this does not apply to iPhone battery issues from the updater description. My phone was also getting hot and charging much more slowly than usual after the 14 update.

Have done a couple forced phone reboots, same issues persist. I'll try another, though.

I noticed that 14 must've logged me out of iTunes b/c my playlists are not on the phone anymore. But somehow, I was still logged in when I checked just now. I will try to log out, and then log back into Music on iPhone. Thanks.
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: November 01, 2020 04:10PM
Thanks RAM for clarifying that issue. I’ve always wondered about that.

Isn’t the battery issue related to the phone and not the watch?

Asheville, NC Area
Date: November 01, 2020 09:06PM
Apparently this is a very widespread issue across all iPhones with iOS 14, particularly among Watch users. Good to know at least I am not alone as there are a ton of google hits on it. Hopefully it'll be solved soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2020 09:10PM by SteveO.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 02, 2020 01:49AM
Isn’t the battery issue related to the phone and not the watch?

It probably is.

I'd seen some complaints about the AW draining quickly after the watchOS 7 update, and the subsequent update.

I missed a beat when reading your post and didn't see that you were talking about the 'Phone draining quickly and not the Watch.

Apologies.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020