advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
motor vehicle title question (might be long)
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 02, 2020 08:07AM
Did I mention I bought a new bike? You may recall that last year around this time I got back into motorcycling and bought a 1981 Honda CM400T. [forums.macresource.com]

As many guessed, after full season of riding, I realized it might have been a little too little bike for me. No regrets. It was perfect, but I started looking to upgrade a month or so ago. Anyway, after much searching, I found one that seemed perfect, but it was an hour and a half away. I went to check it out on a Saturday. Made the deal, paid the seller, and my wife drove me back to pick up the bike on Sunday and I rode it home.

One I knew I was buying it, Saturday evening I posted an ad on Craigslist for my old Honda. I had a reply Sunday morning, asking if they could come look at it on Monday. He did, and bought it for my asking price. We signed a Bill Of Sale, noting that any agreement was contingent upon confirmation of funds in my bank account. No problem there. The check cleared in a day. But he also asked that I keep it here until he found a place to store it. I also added a line in the Bill Of Sale about charging an extra $200 if he picks it up after 12/1, which he also signed off on. So I have the bike still here. I also still have the title. We agreed I wouldn't sign it over until he picks up the bike.

I'm just wondering if I ought to just fill out my part of the title and send it to him via registered mail and be done with it. I imagine when he goes to register it, they'll see a date of 10/19 on the Bill of Sale, but some later date on the title. Is that likely to cause issues?

To be clear, I have no doubts about the integrity of the buyer whatsoever. We chatted quite a bit. He's about a year younger than I am. Nice guy. Loves old Hondas and is very knowledgeable about them, so he pointed out a couple of issues I wasn't even aware of. Apparently he has been keeping his eye out for one like mine.

Oh, by the way, here's my new (to me) ride. It's a 2005 Suzuki S50 Boulevard (VS800). It had 5612 original miles on it and it's in mint condition.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2020 08:17AM by wurm.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: motor vehicle title question (might be long)
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 02, 2020 08:10AM
Looks like a nice ride, I can't tell what brand it is (not familiar with motorcycles, sorry).

Just wear a helmet please.

no idea on the title, I think you can wait until he picks it up.
Date: November 02, 2020 08:19AM
Thanks, space. Yeah, helmet all the time. Even if it weren't the law. Added bike info to original post.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 02, 2020 08:23AM
You have the cash, he should have the title. Give him a call and ask. Sounds like you’ve got a good buyer. And you are a good seller.
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 02, 2020 08:33AM
Unless the BUYER has other problems with the DMV (think suspended license, registration, unpaid fines etc) there should NOT be an issue (especially in these Covid-19 times). I would recommend that you notify you insurance company that you’ve sold your Honda. You could also check with your DMV office to see if there’s a form you could complete documenting the transfer of ownership. That way, if the BUYER opts to sell the Honda without ever registering it, you’d be in the clear.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 02, 2020 08:35AM
I would say it depends on what you plan to do if a tree falls on it while you are storing it for him. Are you maintaining insurance on it or is he? Whomever is paying the insurance should have the title in their name.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: November 02, 2020 11:22AM
Thanks for the thoughts.

I've already transferred my registration and insurance to my new(er) bike. As for what happens if a tree falls on it, I'll have bigger problems because if a tree lands on it, it means the tree caved in the addition to the house under which the old bike sits.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 02, 2020 02:46PM
There is a small chance it could be stolen.

It depends a little on how the state treats sales and registrations. California seems to mostly care about getting their tax on the sale and registration. It should not be a problem as long as the registration will not expire before the new owner applies for the title transfer.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 04, 2020 02:14AM
You’re a lot braver than I am. When I sell a car, I accompany the buyer to the deputy registrar to verify the transfer. Then I drop the insurance. I’ve had a buyer decades ago never bother to transfer the vehicle and I only found out about because he got a parking ticket which I had to pay. I’m just glad he didn’t have an accident.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 04, 2020 07:27AM
Well, I still have the bike here and the title, so he can't register or insure it. I talked to him yesterday about my concerns. He's planning on picking it up around Thanksgiving (recovering from a hand injury) and at that time, I will sign over title and create a new Bill of Sale dated accordingly. It's all good.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 82
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020