advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cutting old Galvanized sprinkler line and plugging end.
Posted by: Microman
Date: November 02, 2020 09:19AM
I am in the process of fixing my from lawn. Through the remodeling of the from of the house in 1985, etc it still only has one ZONE coming on to water. With 7 current outlets, there is not enough pressure to water. I put a cap on 3 of the sprinkler heads, and the 4 remaining work great. So I am in the process of digging around some of the sprinklers and determining their path, and where I would add the new water entry point from another Auto Valve, and where I will cut the old Galvanized, and plug it off.

I have Hacksaw, and A Harbor Freight Sawzall. And I could buy HF thread cutter for the cut 1/2" pipe and thread it and then put a cap on it.

That sound about right?

About 3/4 or more it old galvanized, and the rest is the easy to work with PVC
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cutting old Galvanized sprinkler line and plugging end.
Posted by: davester
Date: November 02, 2020 09:29AM
Sure, though easier to find the joints and just unscrew them (if they're not totally rusted).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: MikeF
Date: November 02, 2020 10:43AM
You'd have to dig a really big hole around the sawed off area to thread it. I would look for the joint as davester recommended.

You could try something like this in the end, but I don't know how well it would work:
[www.mcmaster.com]
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 02, 2020 11:18AM
Threading the pipe in the ground might be a 2 person job. One using a pipe wrench to keep the pipe from rotating and the other to use the threader. Make sure to wire brush the pipe relatively clean and use cutting oil. Might want to put something underneath to catch the cutting oil and pipe shavings.

Not sure what the system pressure you have. If it's low, the plug might work. Speaking of which, you might want to check system pressure. It may be too low to feed all the heads. Or the galvanized pipe may have enough corrosion to impede flow.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: November 02, 2020 12:26PM
Not neceassarily recommending Harbor Freight, but his type of tool would make the digging requirements a lot more palatable. You might be able to rent one. If you did buy it from HF, they have a pretty good return policy if it turns out to be a total POS.

HF

Posted by: Microman
Date: November 02, 2020 01:11PM
Yes, I shop HF quite often, and only 8 minutes from house.

Galvanized pipe was under ground when we bought house in 1971. House built in 1952.

So at least 40 years, and pipe looks build up of rust, etc...

But I did just find the spot that has a 4 way galvanized connector. Going in 4 different directions , so this will help me decide what to keep, and where to cut, to create a new zone.

Off to Home Depot to buy a piece of galvanized pipe to do what I did in 1985 and wash a tunnel under a 6 foot walkway for another feed of PVC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020