advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iTunes video's show as protected but I ripped them myself
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 02, 2020 12:15PM
I have a LOT of video files in iTunes that identify as "protected" but I know I ripped them from youtube and put them into iTunes. Any idea why this happens?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iTunes video's show as protected but I ripped them myself
Posted by: flareslow
Date: November 02, 2020 12:55PM
I noticed it doing the same thing with video files I had ripped from DVDs. I figured it was due to some type of agreement Apple has with the studios, so I quit importing them into iTunes. I don't have an answer to your question.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 02, 2020 03:30PM
"Ripping" usually entails copying digital content from some form of physical media. How does one "rip" from YouTube?

It is what it is.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 02, 2020 04:03PM
I have a LOT of video files in iTunes that identify as "protected" but I know I ripped them from youtube and put them into iTunes.

No idea how it happens, but how does the "protected" state manifest itself in iTunes?

Does it now mean that only iTunes or QT can now play them?

Or worse, does it mean that iTunes now can't play them?

Can they be played in VLC, or does that see them as protected, and it refuses to play.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 02, 2020 04:18PM
Does the icon show a small lock on it? Or is the extension .m4p? .mp4 is NOT protected, but many files are listed as that instead of m4v.

Can you change the extension to .mp4 or .m4v?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 02, 2020 05:29PM
....what about those who have ripped abs........they ripped them themselves.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: November 02, 2020 09:22PM
There are 2,766 files identified as "Purchased" by iTunes. It appears the video files are indeed purchases and "protected" but they only account for about 20 of the files. Most of the remaining files are actually MP3 files as shown in this image. The "Purchased" category was part of iTunes and I can't modify it. Maybe I need to make something custom to be more accurate. I apologize for the inaccurate first post. Your questions caused me to dig deeper. Thank you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2020 09:25PM by davemchine.
Posted by: rz
Date: November 03, 2020 07:45AM
Everything I've copied from YT plays fine in VLC. I don't use iTunes to play video at all.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 03, 2020 04:20PM
Dave, I'm still stumped. MP3s don't support copy protection, and they don't support video. Cmd-R one to see the original file icon. What does that look like?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: November 04, 2020 10:36AM
I think I have a portion of the music mystery figured out. I looked at a LOT of my early mp3 files which say "encoded with iTunes v7.x.x". They all have the mp3 extension and they all identify as mpeg-1, layer 3. So I think iTunes considers those songs I ripped from cd's to be Purchased.

I also remember downloading music from iTunes and then converting to mp3 and adding a note to the album title so I would remember and those files also show in the Purchased list even though they are mp3.

Now for the part that doesn't make sense. I have roughly 2700 files in Apple's Purchased category but if I create a smart playlist to find "Purchased AAC Audio File" it finds 6,388. Now what the heck is up with that?

Moving on to movies. I created a smart playlist for movies of kind "Protected MPEG-4 video file" it finds movies that do NOT appear as Purchased. Now that's weird and I have no idea. I thought maybe someone gave me some movies at some point but they all have my name on them, a FairPlay version number, and an FBI warning. I'm stumped on this one but the number is low enough I'm not going to chase it.

A smart playlist for tv shows of kind "Protected MPEG-4 video file" produces less than what I would expect. I bought all of the seasons of Hawaii Life but only four seasons appear in the Purchased list in full and seven in part with several not appearing at all. Maybe they aren't available to download anymore?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020