advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Robots being replaced by humans at Walmart.
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 02, 2020 04:13PM
Score one for humans....

And I always thought their inventory control computer systems had some idea about what was sold from the shelves based on check-out scans.

[www.cnbc.com]

Walmart ends contract with robotics company, opts for human workers instead, report says

At some Walmart stores, robots have roamed the sales floors and helped check if shelves were stocked. But the big-box retailer has now decided to end its contract with the robotics company behind those machines after finding that people can do about the same work, according to a report by The Wall Street Journal.

The report, which cited unnamed people familiar with the situation, said Walmart recently cut ties with Bossa Nova Robotics. A Walmart spokesperson told the Journal that about 500 robots were in Walmart's more than 4,700 stores when the contract ended.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Robots being replaced by humans at Walmart.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 02, 2020 04:18PM
People of WalMart meets Silicon Valley....

"Beep Boop.. Welcome to WAL-EE-MART. How can I help you ?"
"Um im a gonna need mah food"
"I am sorry I do not understand"
"Foods ya know !"
"I am sorry that does not compute"
"DAMFOOL MACHINE" (Smashing noises)
"Dave ? I'm afraid, Dave. Daisy.... daisy...."
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 02, 2020 04:25PM
Considering I've watched the same peg stay empty for months, I'd say the stocking issues are elsewhere, not in the mere identification of empty slots.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 02, 2020 04:47PM
Acer
Considering I've watched the same peg stay empty for months, I'd say the stocking issues are elsewhere, not in the mere identification of empty slots.

There are two parts to keeping shelves stocked. The first part is knowing that the peg is empty, the second part is knowing if you have alternate product locations, topstock, backstock, warehouse stock, or distribution center stock and getting it out to the empty peg.

The robots only help with the first part. Not surprised that a human can do that part just as well. Inventory and stock is something a robot cannot do.

MANY times Walmart has a place in the isle where the product normally goes and it is empty but they have a temporary location like an end cap or main isle display that is full.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2020 04:49PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: November 02, 2020 05:11PM
Amazon installed cameras on all their shelves. That seems much easier to manage than 500 robots between 4700 stores.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 02, 2020 05:27PM
M A V I C
Amazon installed cameras on all their shelves. That seems much easier to manage than 500 robots between 4700 stores.

And there are lots of security cameras in Walmart, seems like those might be able to get enough coverage to see the shelves and the video can be processed like Amazon does.

I'm guessing that the main function of these robots was to be a wandering camera.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 02, 2020 05:51PM
....what about........Robocop....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: steve...
Date: November 02, 2020 05:58PM
Since I've never seen one, I was curious to know what they look like.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 02, 2020 08:20PM
We had one wandering in the local store. The thing always seemed to be in the way and moving slowly. Glad to see them removed both because I prefer humans to have jobs.

Now I hope the ordering kiosks at fast food places fail. Auto checkout can go away as well.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: November 03, 2020 06:53AM
C(-)ris
Acer

There are two parts to keeping shelves stocked. The first part is knowing that the peg is empty, the second part is knowing if you have alternate product locations, topstock, backstock, warehouse stock, or distribution center stock and getting it out to the empty peg.

The robots only help with the first part. Not surprised that a human can do that part just as well. Inventory and stock is something a robot cannot do.

MANY times Walmart has a place in the isle where the product normally goes and it is empty but they have a temporary location like an end cap or main isle display that is full.

Traditionally stores would buy the product from the manufacturers to stock on their shelves and would house excess inventory in their warehouses for quick shelf resupply. Walmart uses a different model - they basically lease the store shelf space to the manufacturer who owns the product on the shelf and is responsible for making replenishment supply available to Walmart. That helps Walmart keep their overhead costs down but it makes it difficult for small manufacturers to get their product to markets. Think about how much inventory they need to keep on their books in order to have a ready supply of their products in 3,500+ stores. That's one reason why what's on the shelves varies so much from store to store even in a small geographical area.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 03, 2020 06:59AM
It won't last long. They probably have an alternate solution in the works. More and more supply chains are implementing robots, especially at the warehouse level.

Our grocery store has regular checkout lines (with the belt) without a cashier. There's one employee that oversees 4 checkout lanes. They're also piloting the system of scanning items as you put them in the cart. Brick and Mortar stores are looking at ways to reduce dependency on employees for many reasons.
Posted by: rz
Date: November 03, 2020 07:50AM
Sam's Club (and I'm sure others) have an app where you scan your items as you go. This allows you to skip the enormously long checkout lines. You still have to go through the door checkout, but it saves a lot of time. We always wonder why more people don't use the app.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 03, 2020 09:51AM
....but...........I......Robot.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: November 03, 2020 10:03AM
rz
Sam's Club (and I'm sure others) have an app where you scan your items as you go. This allows you to skip the enormously long checkout lines. You still have to go through the door checkout, but it saves a lot of time. We always wonder why more people don't use the app.

If your phone has Face ID, it could be a pain to use during the pandemic.
Posted by: rz
Date: November 03, 2020 10:25AM
macphanatic
rz

Huh? Why? My wife's iPhone has face id and she didn't experience any pain in operating the app during the pandemic.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 03, 2020 01:23PM
They'll be back when they lower the cost to Walmart.
Date: November 03, 2020 02:53PM
rz
macphanatic
rz

Huh? Why? My wife's iPhone has face id and she didn't experience any pain in operating the app during the pandemic.

To constantly unlock the phone unless you keep it unlocked all the time.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: November 03, 2020 04:45PM
I for one welcome our new Homo sapiens overlords!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 78
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020