The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Re: Should I get a flu shot?
Posted by: d4
Date: November 06, 2020 03:54PM
PeterB
d4
I was at CVS this afternoon running an errand and saw the flu shot sign at the entrance. I thought it was as good as time as any. Went to pharmacy window. No appointment necessary. I was done in 5 mins. Paid for my items and left.

Yep, I would have been done in 5-15 mins, had the Walgreens pharm intern known what she was doing ... they routinely man the register with the interns, and the interns are seemingly never working there long enough to learn their way around things before they get replaced. I would say in total, it took me about 30-45 minutes to finally get my shots. I wasn't terribly surprised by that, given Walgreens, but I have to admit that I wasn't crazy about sitting there for that long in terms of possible exposure.

I have to thank you for posting this topic because it made the flu shot "top of mind" for me. And it was the reason why I got the flu shot today. I don't usually get a seasonal flu shot. I was chit-chatting with the young lady who was giving me the shot and she said that the amount of people getting the flu shot this year was TRIPLE from last year. I hope there are no shortages in the near future. Get the flu shot ASAP everyone. Just in case...

Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 06, 2020 04:15PM
d4
PeterB
d4
I was at CVS this afternoon running an errand and saw the flu shot sign at the entrance. I thought it was as good as time as any. Went to pharmacy window. No appointment necessary. I was done in 5 mins. Paid for my items and left.

Yep, I would have been done in 5-15 mins, had the Walgreens pharm intern known what she was doing ... they routinely man the register with the interns, and the interns are seemingly never working there long enough to learn their way around things before they get replaced. I would say in total, it took me about 30-45 minutes to finally get my shots. I wasn't terribly surprised by that, given Walgreens, but I have to admit that I wasn't crazy about sitting there for that long in terms of possible exposure.

I have to thank you for posting this topic because it made the flu shot "top of mind" for me. And it was the reason why I got the flu shot today. I don't usually get a seasonal flu shot. I was chit-chatting with the young lady who was giving me the shot and she said that the amount of people getting the flu shot this year was TRIPLE from last year. I hope there are no shortages in the near future. Get the flu shot ASAP everyone. Just in case...

Yes, as I mentioned -- I routinely get mine every year. So I am definitely pro-flu shot, do not get me wrong. The issue in this case, for me, was: was the risk of possible COVID exposure, given that I'm high risk, worth the possible protection of the flu shot? (Given that I don't have a normal response to ANY vaccine...)

On the pro side, obviously some protection, even if it's minimal in my case, is better than no protection; on the con side, as Fauch pointed out -- if I'm not leaving the house anyway, the chance of me getting the flu is really minimal (as it is, hopefully, for COVID), and it's debatable if the flu shot will be that protective for me. I do think it was probably for the best that I got the shot, especially considering that I also got the meningiococcal booster, maybe my getting the two vaccinations at once will give a synergistic effect... and hopefully I was careful enough with things that my corona exposure was minimal.

And yes, for the general public -- a very good idea to get the flu shot.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 07, 2020 08:43AM
Thank you for all that have gotten their shot, especially this year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020