advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
compressor question
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 05, 2020 09:16PM
with Black Friday deals coming up, I may be tempted to buy a compressor. I have a 12V compressor to inflate tires, but I think a 120V one would come handy around the house. I could inflate tires without opening the hood, and maybe I find other uses for it. I am NOT interested in air powered tools at this time. But I do have a sprinkler system which does not work, and if I decide to fix it, I would need to blow it dry every fall.

So not sure if I want to get a small unit (several gallons) or a larger unit like this one

[slickdeals.net]

[Porter Cable 24-Gallon Portable Air Compressor for $160]

My question really is if I want to get an oil free or not. I assume for application like paint spray you probably want oil free (do you???), but I am not sure if I care about oil free when I pump up the tires. Does it even matter? Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: compressor question
Posted by: davester
Date: November 05, 2020 09:42PM
If you don't want to run tools there is no point in getting a large compressor. Also, for your purposes you do not want an oil-lubricated compressor and the maintenance it requires.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: lost in space
Date: November 05, 2020 09:49PM
The usual consumer compressor isn't suited to blowing out sprinkler systems. It takes a large volume of low-pressure air, just the opposite of what small home-shop compressors provide.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 05, 2020 10:29PM
For just topping off tires and filling bike tires, a small tankless model should work. They just take longer to work but on the other hand a tank takes a minute to fill before pressure is achieved.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 06, 2020 12:44AM
That Porter Cable is a very good deal. Too bad it's the only decent compressor they sell under $200.

While it is questionable quality, the formerly $49.99 (now $55) Hazard Fraught 1/3 HP oil-free compressor with 3 gal tank might be all you need. 3 gallons at 40 psi should be enough and would hopefully not damage the sprinklers. At the first fitting out of the tank (temporarily remove the pressure gauge) put on a 1/2 (3/8?) tee, 1/2" to 3/4" reducer, 3/4" ball valve, and a 3/4" pipe thread to hose thread adapter.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 06, 2020 03:21AM
Go with the one you found. You will use the tank variety more and more after you see its utility.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 06, 2020 07:54AM
I used to use an old scuba tank and regulator with a nozzle on the hose. 80cf of 3000psi air where ever I wanted it, no power needed

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: November 06, 2020 08:57AM
I have a similar compressor to the Porter cable one. They both have an adjustable regulator to select the max pressure of air output.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2020 08:58AM by Schpark.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 06, 2020 09:15AM
While you might not want air tools, there is nothing quite as wonderful as a heavy duty double hammer impact driver, or a sand blaster. Especially if you work on rusty vehicles like I do. brrrrrzzzzip ! And using compressed air to dust out stuff is great. Our various heaters and fans and electronics get blown out a couple of times a year. Saves $$ !

Even a small compressor will give you enough oomph to run an air tool for a few moments.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 06, 2020 09:48AM
cbelt3
While you might not want air tools, there is nothing quite as wonderful as a heavy duty double hammer impact driver, or a sand blaster. Especially if you work on rusty vehicles like I do. brrrrrzzzzip ! And using compressed air to dust out stuff is great. Our various heaters and fans and electronics get blown out a couple of times a year. Saves $$ !

Even a small compressor will give you enough oomph to run an air tool for a few moments.

My DeWalt FlexVolt cordless 1/2 impact destroys my pneumatic impact. Plus, no hose and no wait on a compressor. I wound up getting rid of my big compressor as the DeWalt eliminated the need for it. Down to a small twin tank compressor for filling tires, etc.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 06, 2020 11:42AM
The pneumatic I use the most is my die grinder. I love the small cutoff wheels and burrs.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 137
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020