advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Youngest son is super sick.... what the heck can I do ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 06, 2020 10:14AM
My youngest son lives in an apartment near his university downtown. With his two FIV positive cats and his big goofy dog. And he's running 102.5 F fever, coughing, losing his sense of smell, GI system in an uproar.

Yeah. He's getting the COVID test right now.

I will be delivering care packages to his door (I have an access fob to his building). But.. I cannot take the risk of bringing his pets into our house to care for them. Cats and Dogs can carry COVID. And our cats do not have FIV. I guess I can walk his dog for him at his apartment if I mask and glove and wear long sleeves and pants, and wash like crazy afterwards.

This is not good.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Youngest son is super sick.... what the heck can I do ?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 06, 2020 10:19AM
....unconditional love is a wonder.....and you have that covered.....hope he get better soon.....!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Pam
Date: November 06, 2020 10:29AM
Make sure he has a pulse oximeter. It’s rare for a cat to contract it and even rarer for a dog. There is no evidence that a pet can transmit the virus to humans. I’d get the dog and leave the cat. As long as he can periodically fill the water bowl he can leave dry food out for feeding at will. The litter box might get a bit full.

Hopefully he will fight this off within a week or two. Sorry he had to get such a case.
Date: November 06, 2020 10:49AM
Pam- yep, I'm dropping off our pulse ox meter tonight. And pee pads and cat food and some soup I made last night, and a bunch of easy to make soups and stuff like that.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 06, 2020 10:53AM
I think the animal transmission thing was an early hysteria response, I've not read of any cases (although have not looked lately) about that being true.

see if you can get your son some good food, maybe make him some chicken consommé or stock, get him some fresh juices, including greens. you know how to do that.
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 06, 2020 10:54AM
cbelt3
Pam- yep, I'm dropping off our pulse ox meter tonight. And pee pads and cat food and some soup I made last night, and a bunch of easy to make soups and stuff like that.

Look after yourself C.
Drop all at the door and call him after you are in the car.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Ammo
Date: November 06, 2020 10:58AM
Establish regular check-in times so you can monitor his condition? It might help both of you feel safer.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 06, 2020 11:28AM
Bummer, sorry to hear.

Starting to hit closer to home for many -- client in Dallas called today and said his inlaws, who loved to shout 'corona hoax' now have it... and even tho he and his wife kept their contact super minimal/masked/distanced, hes not feeling well either... ugh.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 06, 2020 11:36AM
jdc
Starting to hit closer to home for many -- client in Dallas called today and said his inlaws, who loved to shout 'corona hoax' now have it... and even tho he and his wife kept their contact super minimal/masked/distanced, hes not feeling well either... ugh.

This is something I'm worried about. I'm traveling to Dallas for business next week. I know Texas has been one of the COVID hotbeds in the U.S. and that's a bit concerning.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 06, 2020 11:38AM
Sorry to hear your kid is sick. Regular check-in times sound like a good idea. Hopefully he won't need to go to the hospital. At least there has been progress in knowing how to treat different symptoms.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 06, 2020 11:49AM
Your son needs to mask, not so much you unless you have properly fitted N95s. Have him tie the dog outside so you don’t get a whoosh of virus upon opening the door. Hopefully he’ll feel fine in a day or two; young’ns you know.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: stephen
Date: November 06, 2020 12:07PM
Saying a prayer.
Date: November 06, 2020 12:09PM
Speedy
Your son needs to mask, not so much you unless you have properly fitted N95s. Have him tie the dog outside so you don’t get a whoosh of virus upon opening the door. Hopefully he’ll feel fine in a day or two; young’ns you know.
He will. And I have a properly fitted N95 AND a properly fitted P100. Which I plan on using. Along with a face shield, gloves, etc...

Definitely doing the door ring and run thing. I may take the dog with me.. have to clear it with the other humans and dogs in our house.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 06, 2020 12:56PM
The latest guidelines on whether or not pets could contract and transmit to humans: [www.cdc.gov]

... along with all the good advice others here have given, I would suggest -- how about those autowaterers / autofeeders that you can get for cats and maybe dogs too? It wouldn't solve the cat/dog needs to take a poop situation, but it might make life easier both for you and your son.

Also, latest Mayo Clinic advice on home treatment: [www.mayoclinic.org]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2020 12:57PM by PeterB.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 06, 2020 12:59PM
Hang in there- Let him know that we are rooting for him, and you!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 06, 2020 01:11PM
Hire a dogwalker or put them in a kennel, they will get care, remove a chiore from your son and worry from you.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: November 06, 2020 01:19PM
Pony up the $200 or so for a medical grade pulse oximeter...not one of the $20 ones whose accuracy is +/- 6%.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: November 06, 2020 03:12PM
I have no advice but wishing your son a speedy and full recovery and also that you remain well and safe as you help him.

JoeM
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 06, 2020 03:16PM
Stat-Vitamin D, Zinc.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 06, 2020 04:03PM
Sending you encouragement and healthy vibes, Charlie! emoticon_love

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: November 07, 2020 02:33AM
Truly sorry and wishing you both the best of health.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: November 07, 2020 06:35AM
There are free phone apps that measure O2 levels. I've used them side by side even with hospital equipment. They are within 1 or 2 % points. The $29 home unit are as accurate as what they use in the hospital.

I would suggest calling a doctor, get prescription grade medications that can keep his lungs clear (steroids) and medication to control fever.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: November 10, 2020 07:32AM
Mr645
There are free phone apps that measure O2 levels. I've used them side by side even with hospital equipment. They are within 1 or 2 % points. The $29 home unit are as accurate as what they use in the hospital.

I would suggest calling a doctor, get prescription grade medications that can keep his lungs clear (steroids) and medication to control fever.

Again, those $30 units are +/- 6%....medical grade (~$200) are +/- 2%...which do you trust more?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2020 07:45AM by Bill in NC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 76
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020