advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What does one beep w/ yellow light about every minute mean?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 06, 2020 12:08PM
APC XS-1500 UPS just went into annoy mode this morning...
One (occasionally 2, but mostly 1) beep w/ yellow (On Battery) light flashing, then returns to green (On Line) light until next beep/flash, approximately every minute, though sometimes more frequently. IOW, not a consistent pattern.

What does this indicate?

Here are APC's options, which don't address what we're seeing/hearing here...

There are four status indicators (lights) on the front panel of the Back-UPS (On Line, On Battery, Overload, and Replace Battery).

On Line (green) - is lit whenever utility power is powering the Battery Backup outlets.

On Battery (yellow)- is lit whenever the battery of the Back-UPS is powering equipment connected to theBattery Backup Outlets.

Four Beeps Every 30 Seconds - this alarm is sounded whenever the Back-UPS is running On Battery. Consider saving work in progress.

Continuous Beeping - this alarm is sounded whenever a low battery condition is reached. Battery run-time is very low. Promptly save any work in progress and exit all open applications. Shutdown the operating system, computer and the Back-UPS.

Overload (red) - is lit whenever power demand has exceeded the capacity of the Back-UPS.

Continuous Tone - this alarm is sounded whenever the Battery Backup outlets are overloaded.

Circuit Breaker - the circuit breaker button located on the rear panel of the Back-UPS will stick out if an overload condition forces the Back-UPS to disconnect itself from utility power. If the button sticks out, disconnect non-essential equipment. Reset the circuit breaker by pushing the button inward.

FWIW, the batteries are fairly new, in UPS terms, less than a year. So unless they were from a bad batch, that shouldn't be the problem...
Thanks.

==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What does one beep w/ yellow light about every minute mean?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 06, 2020 12:10PM
How is it plugged into your electrical mains ? Sounds like an intermittent problem with your electrical plugs or breakers. Or a load balancing problem or systemic brownout.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 06, 2020 12:49PM
I can't say for sure, but I have a APC voltage regulator (Line-R) on the same circuit as my laser printer, and every time it warms up before a print job I can hear a relay inside the APC make a clicking sound. Maybe something similar is going on?
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 06, 2020 01:34PM
mikebw
I can't say for sure, but I have a APC voltage regulator (Line-R) on the same circuit as my laser printer, and every time it warms up before a print job I can hear a relay inside the APC make a clicking sound. Maybe something similar is going on?

My UPS's do the same due to a momentary voltage drop.

Is there some sort of high current device in use, like maybe an electric space heater toggling on/off based on it's thermostat?
Date: November 06, 2020 01:37PM
Just plugged into the wall, but it's old grandfathered wiring that's not up to current codes. Building is late 1960's. Three Two other APC units, and one CyberPower unit (all 1500VA), not beeping or behaving badly. We are known for occasional bad/brown power in the area. All LED lights (and a couple of CFL's), so no light dimming to help diagnosis. New laser printer, but have only printed two sheets today, and didn't notice power surge; old laser printers were much more noticeable when being used. Couldn't find anything specific on APC's site, and basic google fu comes up empty.

Intermittent is the name of the day. It would seem to indicate a quickie switch to battery, and back immediately, w/ no apparent trigger. There is nothing different from the norm as far as our electrical use goes. The cMP's aren't on, and are plugged into the non-beepers. Nothing high-power in use. If it doesn't stop in the next couple of hours, I guess I'll call APC, and pick their brain.

Thanks.
==
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: November 06, 2020 02:38PM
My UPS's do the same due to a momentary voltage drop.
It doesn't have to be a voltage fluctuation either. If the supply voltage frequency
has a variation from 60Hz it could cause a ripple in the DC charging circuit that an
"over sensitive" UPS's controller detects (incorrectly) as a supply drop.

I'd try plugging the unit into another outlet with no load and allow it to 'run'
overnight. If no faults, try it out with load and also running off the batteries.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2020 02:39PM by MrNoBody.
Date: November 06, 2020 02:56PM
Knock on wood, the beeping has stopped for over half an hour...

Maybe of the "Big 4" UPS's, this one is overly sensitive?

Will/may try test on another circuit if beeping returns.
Thanks.
==
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 06, 2020 03:21PM
...you are a.....chicken.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: November 06, 2020 03:46PM
Damn, it just beeped again.
==
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 06, 2020 04:54PM
Buzz, I wouldn't be surprised if the battery has gone bad. Batteries going bad often causes UPS's to have all sorts of weird symptoms, not always described by the user manual. I had one that would be fine, but then plugging anything into it would trip it and it would shut itself off... just needed a new battery.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: November 06, 2020 05:42PM
It's a dual battery model, and I ordered the batteries over the holidays last year. Strapping offspring helped me install 'em around New Year's. We did a couple of 'em, and I don't recall on which side of New Year's this one was done. But as noted in original post, unless batteries are from a bad batch, they should be new enough to not be the problem. I got lulled when it stopped for a couple of hours.... testing on another circuit sounds promising, or at least way easier than replacing the batteries again. Now I just gotta find an old incandescent light to also perform a battery run test to check capacity. On the flip side, if the batteries are bad, they should still be under warranty.
==
Date: November 06, 2020 06:16PM
Buzz
It's a dual battery model, and I ordered the batteries over the holidays last year. Strapping offspring helped me install 'em around New Year's. We did a couple of 'em, and I don't recall on which side of New Year's this one was done. But as noted in original post, unless batteries are from a bad batch, they should be new enough to not be the problem. I got lulled when it stopped for a couple of hours.... testing on another circuit sounds promising, or at least way easier than replacing the batteries again. Now I just gotta find an old incandescent light to also perform a battery run test to check capacity. On the flip side, if the batteries are bad, they should still be under warranty.
==

Batteries CAN be bad from the get-go or go bad prematurely. I've had that on occasion, especially if I bought off-brand. You won't be able to tell for sure unless you put a load on it and it drops the voltage abnormally.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 06, 2020 06:21PM
.....you are now a.....minute man....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: November 06, 2020 06:32PM
PB-That's why the current search for the incandescent light bulb...

Bought 'em hoping Japanese quality would be better than China's.
==
Date: November 06, 2020 06:34PM
Buzz
PB-That's why the current search for the incandescent light bulb...

Bought 'em hoping Japanese quality would be better than China's.
==

I don't know that an incandescent is enough of a load. I think swapping between UPS's is probably the best way to check. Oh, and of course the UPS itself can get fried...

Date: November 06, 2020 07:40PM
I've always just used 100W incandescent for UPS health test...
==
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 06, 2020 09:52PM
immediately thought of this when I read the subject: [youtu.be]

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Date: November 07, 2020 09:02AM
Zoidberg
immediately thought of this when I read the subject: [youtu.be]

thumbs up
==
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 08, 2020 05:38PM
I’d just as soon they made no noise no matter the reason. Lights are good, noise, not so much.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020