advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Affordable PATA laptop optical drive enclosure?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 08, 2020 10:24PM
We've got an old PATA SuperDrive pull from a vintage MBP... what are the odds of finding an inexpensive USB enclosure for it? And by inexpensive, I mean cheap enough to avoid just buying a pre-fab portable USB optical drive. Google fu best bet I've found is this, ~$15 delivered...

I "owe" a USB optical to someone, and even though I have a few full size externals, they want portable, and I'm not ready to give up our real OEM Apple USB SuperDrive. We also have a slightly newer MBP that we can pull the (SATA) SuperDrive from, but that optical has tons more mileage on it than the PATA that was pulled several years ago. Not sure a SATA enclosure is gonna be worth the hassle/time pressure of whatever potentially cheaper the price difference may be.

Google fu best pre-fab alternative, ~$24 delivered...

Any better suggestions out there?
Thanks.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Affordable PATA laptop optical drive enclosure?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 08, 2020 11:17PM
Probably cheaper to get a USB external.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: MikeF
Date: November 08, 2020 11:21PM
This, however out of stock. Haven't done any business with them.
[www.powerbookmedic.com]

This?
[www.fasttech.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2020 11:30PM by MikeF.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: November 09, 2020 07:22AM
I've purchased from PowerbookMedic a number of times, and have found them to be reliable.
In my experience, though, if it's old and out of stock, it'll stay out of stock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2020 07:23AM by S. Pupp.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 09, 2020 07:24AM
just recycle it and get a USB external on sale, those can be had for $10-15 these days on Amazon and New Egg. it will be faster and support more formats.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 09, 2020 10:45AM
....PATA.....thai....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: November 10, 2020 07:42AM
space-time
just recycle it and get a USB external on sale, those can be had for $10-15 these days on Amazon and New Egg. it will be faster and support more formats.
agree smiley

It will also be more reliable than an old PATA optical "pull"!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020