advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What would be in your ultimate EDC (“Every Day Carry”) messenger/shoulder bag?
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: November 09, 2020 02:36AM
Be it a fannypack, messenger bag, shoulder bag or, if such is your druthers, your plain old pants pockets. Ultimate. Think Geico Insurance lady money, not Meryl Streep money, and certainly not Bezos (Mr. or formerly Mrs.) money.

• iPad, cellular/wifi enabled + cables and portable charger.
  • Cellphone + cables
  • 2 pair of knock around spare glasses in hard cases
  • Package of Bic pens + steno pad
  • Small pry bar (10”, 12”? I wish I could carry a collapsible baton, but they’re illegal for civilians here, so I’d go multitasker prybar/window breaker/in a pinch mini baton)
  • Folding knife w/seatbelt cutter on the buttend.
  • Two mini Maglite style flashlights + spare batteries
  • 2 or 3 days worth of meds + inhaler. Just enough to serve as a don’t have/can’t get to bug out bag. I’d throw in a small space blanket too, if I could find one that folds up super small, maybe hand warmers too in winter.

I’d have see how much of that would fit and weigh, but I think it might just be within my tolerances. Living in earthquake country makes me like my security blankets. big grin smiley

I’ve always had a yen for what is known to some TV addicts as a “Jack Bag”; the always at hand carryall of the problematic hero Jack Bauer.

But with a cane now a semi permanent part of my ensemble, something a trace smaller feels preferable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2020 02:40AM by Blankity Blank.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What would be in your ultimate EDC (“Every Day Carry”) messenger/shoulder bag?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 09, 2020 02:59AM
My EDC bag includes most of your list, sans the weapons and the meds. It also includes a couple of sets of earphones and a set of ear plugs (for quiet when I travel). I also keep an Ankar 5-port USB charger in there to enable simultaneous charging of multiple devices.

It is what it is.
Re: What would be in your ultimate EDC (“Every Day Carry”) messenger/shoulder bag?
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 09, 2020 07:23AM
may I ask where do you go these days? most of us stay home
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 09, 2020 08:56AM
I used to carry a water bottle and a nut bar of some kind. And a plastic fork/spoon (but never a spork!).

I was forced to surrender my Swiss Army knife at customs after keeping it in my bag, and haven't quite got over that.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: November 09, 2020 10:04AM
Flashlight
Batteries
Solar Charger
Battery Bank
Knife
Multi-tool (Gerber)
Pencil/Pen
Paper
gloves
first aide / trauma kit
rubber gloves
hand sanitizer
string
duct tape
slingshot w/ 50-100 rounds of ammo (lead shot)

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: November 09, 2020 10:34AM
Verrry inturestink...

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 09, 2020 10:43AM
.....man.....bag.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 09, 2020 10:57AM
Can tell we are a bunch of old geezers.. no one has listed condoms

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: November 09, 2020 11:02AM
Mine might be more lightweight items, as I actually walk for significant distances wearing my daypack over my shoulder. It's also optimized to some degree for foreign travel:

power bank/flashlight
Lightning cable
earbuds
pen
wet-naps
bottle opener
emergency glasses
Olfa Touch-Knife
safety pin
two strips of duck tape, cable tie
small binder clips, paper clips, rubber bands (for resealing food)
thick, absorbent paper towel; or washcloth in tropics
Zip-Loc bags
folded square of aluminum foil
kitchen-size garbage bag
hard candy or chocolate, depending on climate
bottle of sparkling water
lemon Kool-Aid (for making sugary pop more to my taste)
pack of cheese-n-crackers
sachet of instant coffee
ibuprofen, pseudephedrine, Lactaid, loratadine, loperamide
hand lotion
sunscreen
disposable polyethylene gloves (for dealing with disgusting toilets, bike chains)
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 09, 2020 11:03AM
[duckduckgo.com]
Posted by: davester
Date: November 09, 2020 11:17AM
It's a purse.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: November 09, 2020 11:38AM

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 09, 2020 02:34PM
N-OS X-tasy!
My EDC bag includes most of your list, sans the weapons and the meds. It also includes a couple of sets of earphones and a set of ear plugs (for quiet when I travel). I also keep an Ankar 5-port USB charger in there to enable simultaneous charging of multiple devices.

Almost anything can qualify as a weapon. A cane, if decent quality is an excellent weapon. So is a rolled up newspaper or magazine. Or a soup can. It's all about how the item is used.

Ombligo
Can tell we are a bunch of old geezers.. no one has listed condoms

Then, shouldn't the little blue pill be on the list?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 09, 2020 02:44PM
......murse [ man purse ]......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 09, 2020 08:45PM
Almost anything can qualify as a weapon.

Only if and when used as one.

As mentioned in the OP, batons like the ASP are prohibited weapons by definition and illegal in many places to own, let alone carry.

There was a TV show called Martial Law, that showcased the star, Sammo Hung (an excellent martial artist) using all kinds of EDO (Every Day Objects) to defend himself and defeat the bad guy.

He was a precursor to Jackie Chan, in that department.

Even when I was working, not half of any of the kit listed would qualify as EDC for me.

My 'EDC' stuff is a Benchmade knife (with serrated blade portion for faster cutting) a small HiPo LED flashlight, two masks – one for ID and a Smart Pro (they can be worn in tandem, no problem) and a spare mask should someone else need one.

If I needed to carry any incidentals, it would be in a messenger bag.

Among those would be a spring loaded center punch.

Any weapon and a spare mag would be on me, SOB and behind left hip, not in a bag.

If I carried a ton of stuff like listed above, I'd use some dual shoulder strap pack, to distribute the weight better.

And it would be narrow, like the pack BB posted.

I hate when people try to squeeze by in a crowd with a big back pack, knocking everybody as the work their way through.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 09, 2020 11:35PM
A real camera, preferably film.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 69
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020