advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
out of time?!....this tech device 'officially' discontinued, will stop working in 2 years......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 09, 2020 06:44PM
......Slingbox......stop working in 2022 [ servers will be shut off ]......so they will become 'bricks'.....like ReplayTV.....

.....SlingTV will still be working.......

Every last Slingbox will become a brick in two years

Dish will shut off the servers in November 2022

....If you’re like us, you probably haven’t thought about the Slingbox in a good long while; the idea of beaming your own TV over the internet has largely been replaced by streaming TV services, even if watch-anywhere DVRs like the Fire TV Recast do still exist.

But if you are still relying on a Slingbox of your very own, you’re officially on notice: Dish subsidiary Sling Media is discontinuing all Slingbox products and will permanently shut down the Slingbox servers on or around November 9th, 2022 — “at which point ALL Slingbox devices and services will become inoperable,” says Sling.

Why now? Please enjoy this illuminating explanation:

Right then!

The company’s also nixing a variety of its SlingPlayer apps, including its app for Windows Phone, which... it’s been a while since the Slingbox was fully relevant, OK? But it sounds like there’ll still be a version available for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, Amazon Fire, Chromecast, and even the web for a little while yet.

Since 2015, Sling has been a little more focused on its own over-the-top streaming platform: Sling TV.....

she's.....a.....brick.........house......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2020 06:49PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: out of time?!....this tech device 'officially' discontinued, will stop working in 2 years......
Posted by: jims
Date: November 09, 2020 07:40PM
Knew it would come soon. I bought my first one to watch NFL Sunday Ticket when I was a corporate pilot and flying a lot on weekends. Still have one and now just use it mainly to watch sports on the patio although my son uses it to get Arkansas games in California. Will miss it, but not the end of the world.

jims
Re: out of time?!....this tech device 'officially' discontinued, will stop working in 2 years......
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 09, 2020 08:25PM
I just recycled two, they were good tech when I set them up years ago.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 09, 2020 10:15PM
That reminds me, I need to list mine on ebay.

Posted by: davester
Date: November 09, 2020 11:23PM
Just like my ReplayTVs. Those were an absolutely fabulous technology for their time but they represented too great a threat to the powers that control our TV space.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: November 10, 2020 06:05AM
**sigh** I still miss my Replays.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: November 10, 2020 07:39AM
davester
Just like my ReplayTVs. Those were an absolutely fabulous technology for their time but they represented too great a threat to the powers that control our TV space.

Replay TV units still work...the company even permanently activated monthly units before going bankrupt...you just need to buy guide data setup a server on your local network to serve guide data to the Replay units...though they can only handle SD signals.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 10, 2020 08:46AM
I have a Slingbox but when things went digital, it no longer worked for me.

Will Collier

Me, too. But both of mine died, probably from being stuffed in a cabinet or because the Seagate drives in each failed. They are still in the cabinet and still plugged in.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2020 08:47AM by Speedy.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 10, 2020 08:49AM
My guess is that they'll cut it off earlier than that.

Years ago, Sling bought the company that made my old live streaming tuner-box, promised that they'd support it for two years and then bricked it after a couple of months. Even the tuner stopped working because they stopped sending the channel-guide data. (So much for a "lifetime" subscription.)

This is how they work. They do not keep their promises. Now add the disreputable jerks at AT&T to the mix. They will cut off everyone in a matter of months, or they'll randomly cut off devices so you won't be able to predict when your time will come.

Posted by: DavidS
Date: November 10, 2020 09:08AM
Will Collier

I still have two, sitting on a shelf in my utility room (unplugged) that I'll be happy to let you have. One is the 5505 and the other is the older model that allowed commercial skip and video sharing. I upgraded the hard drives years ago. I think they are 200gb now.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: November 10, 2020 08:09PM
DavidS
Will Collier

I still have two, sitting on a shelf in my utility room (unplugged) that I'll be happy to let you have. One is the 5505 and the other is the older model that allowed commercial skip and video sharing. I upgraded the hard drives years ago. I think they are 200gb now.

Thanks, but I have three gathering dust in my spare parts closet already. Terrible shame they never made the jump to HD, the UI and usability are still well above even today's norm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 138
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020