advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Much to my delight, the local Costco…
Posted by: wave rider
Date: November 09, 2020 06:57PM
…installed an tire fill-up station! Dial in your pressure (+4 the tire guy said), plug it into your valve stem, and it beeps when it reaches said pressure. I had usually parked by the tire bays and gotten them to loan me a hose although they always did it for me. I was so excited, the tire guy and I did a vigorous elbow bump to celebrate.

I am so happy to be easily pleased and amused…

Right click > View Image to see the fine print.

=wr=
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Much to my delight, the local Costco…
Posted by: Pam
Date: November 09, 2020 07:02PM
The one at my BJs get used so much it often breaks. I think the one at a local Wawa suffers the same overuse fate.
Date: November 09, 2020 07:07PM
Pam
The one at my BJs get used so much it often breaks. I think the one at a local Wawa suffers the same overuse fate.

Fingers crossed for this one. I hate the ones you have to feed quarters.

=wr=
Posted by: graylocks
Date: November 09, 2020 07:24PM
is this by the gas pumps or the auto part of the warehouse?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 09, 2020 07:55PM
There's no stations around here were you can get air or water for love nor money.

Shortly after CA passed the law requiring it free for customers, they all ended up being broken/out of service, forever.

I'd get gas, then go inside and have them turn on the air (bypassing the quarter drop) but it was always a drag for me, and apparently a drag for them, which was passed on to me.

Now I have a RYOBI hand held portable compressor, which works very well for my car and bike.

But it's made of some cheap plastic, like you'd see in the Rock 'Em Sock 'Em robots or similar.

When it goes I might consider something more studly, but it uses the One+ battery.

And that is a big + .

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 09, 2020 08:06PM
If they install one at my local store, I sure hope people treat it better than the other nearby gas stations.

When I first moved to my current location, three of the local stations had broken pumps/nozzles/hoses. One took my quarters and I sent a nastygram to the third party responsible. I got a check for $1 about two months later.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 09, 2020 08:06PM
RAMd®d
There's no stations around here were you can get air or water for love nor money.

Shortly after CA passed the law requiring it free for customers, they all ended up being broken/out of service, forever.

I'd get gas, then go inside and have them turn on the air (bypassing the quarter drop) but it was always a drag for me, and apparently a drag for them, which was passed on to me.

There's an Arco station nearby that has a no hassle air hose. Old school, no quarter machine or timer, always on, no purchase or negotiation needed, just a hose hung on an outside wall with a gauge in the trigger. Pull up and fill up. Always in working condition and well maintained.

Last week I got my tires rotated at Costco so I parked in the tire center area and noticed the air pumps for the first time, two of them side by side, the first two parking spots reserved for them. Not sure how long they've been there, I usually park far away from there. Didn't get to try them out since the were doing it for me as part of the rotate/balance.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: November 09, 2020 08:11PM
I love the Ryobi--and on sale for $20 w/o battery

[www.homedepot.com]

This model is much nicer--set your pressure-stops when full
[www.homedepot.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 09, 2020 08:11PM
.....so.....afternoon.....delight.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Microman
Date: November 09, 2020 08:18PM
They had self service air at my Costco, but they took it out.

Then a couple of months ago, they brought it back, and it looks just like the picture above. Southern Cal
Posted by: jh
Date: November 09, 2020 08:24PM
Those of us old enough remember these?

Posted by: vision63
Date: November 09, 2020 08:54PM
Ken Sp.

[www.homedepot.com]

[www.homedepot.com]

Thanks man. I ordered the first one. I'm not good enough for the second one.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 09, 2020 08:58PM
I use a bike pump. You probably think I'm crazy but it only takes a couple of minutes.

Posted by: rgG
Date: November 09, 2020 09:05PM
mattkime
I use a bike pump. You probably think I'm crazy but it only takes a couple of minutes.

Me, too.
I have a compressor but it is loud and is sort of a pain to drag the cord and hose around.
I like the hand pump much better.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Wags
Date: November 09, 2020 09:11PM
In the 60’s I had an after school job as a pump jockey at an old 3 pump 76 station. As a matter of course we checked the oil, washed the windshield, and checked the tire pressure in the tires, on all the cars that came in. Usually we got a dime or even a quarter for our efforts. That was considered a primo gig for a teenager.
Date: November 09, 2020 09:18PM
Wags
In the 60’s I had an after school job as a pump jockey at an old 3 pump 76 station. As a matter of course we checked the oil, washed the windshield, and checked the tire pressure in the tires, on all the cars that came in. Usually we got a dime or even a quarter for our efforts. That was considered a primo gig for a teenager.

I, as a young child in the 60's used to point out spots that got missed on the windshield as pump jockey worked the squeegee,
Date: November 09, 2020 09:40PM
graylocks

This one is about 150 feet from the tire bays. Makes it easier for them to run the Nitrogen™ line.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 09, 2020 10:13PM
I have a compressor but it is loud

I got the $20 RYOBI, and it's surprisingly quiet.

I've also got a push-pull double cylinder tire pump, and I do not prefer that for an instant.

My tires got topped off twice and that was that.

Then I got a really cheap electric pump (runs of the 12V socket) and it was noisy.

I was embarrassed to use it, almost.

There was a second from Harbor Freight that was well made but still fairly noisy.

This RYOBI is much easier on the ears, easy to use.

The $50 model is really nice, especially if the tire(s) are really low.

The set and forget is nice, as is the ability to blow up mattresses and rafts.

My only complaint about the $20 model is the lack of a trigger lock – not to keep the pump On, but to prevent accidentally triggering it while carrying it, especially with other stuff.

Not loud, but it's still a little... distracting when it fires off a burst.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: November 09, 2020 10:16PM
I initially thought this thread was going to be about another thing I noticed in my Costco in the past week. The Sample Stations are starting to come back. Not the same as before, some are just displaying an item in it's "cooked" state. But they were giving samples of Chocolate Chips and some sort of Chocolate Candy. They were pre-packaged in a small paper bag and you were not allowed to eat them in the store.

On the way out I picked up a vanilla Ice Cream Cup from the food court, and mixed the chocolate chips in when I got to the car.

I'm glad to see that they're bringing back those workers, they were the same people that had been there before March, happy to see that they still have their jobs.
Posted by: davester
Date: November 09, 2020 10:55PM
I have a cheap little pump that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Works for me.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: AllGold
Date: November 10, 2020 01:53AM
Ken Sp.

[www.homedepot.com]

[www.homedepot.com]

Nice. Unfortunately, I don't have an 18V battery; mine is 40V.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 10, 2020 03:23AM
Wags

Bought my first car, a 1953 Buick Super Convertible from just such a job - well that combined with grocery bagging at Shop & Stop.
Posted by: Michael
Date: November 10, 2020 04:59AM
I got the $20 Ryobi a couple of years ago. I love that little thing. I keep it near our bikes to top them up and it'll (slowly!) do a car tire.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 10, 2020 06:59AM
Ken Sp.

[www.homedepot.com]

[www.homedepot.com]

Both are on sale with 1.5Ah battery and charger as well. $59 and $79, making the more expensive one a better deal.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: rz
Date: November 10, 2020 07:18AM
I've got a Kobalt compressor that's nice and quiet. Plus an extra long hose that reaches from the garage to the street if need be. The AAA up the road has free air, and I believe free charging stations for electric vehicles.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 10, 2020 08:11AM
jh

Ding ! Ding ! Ding !

6 year old me destroyed a bike tire overfilling it on one of those in the 60's. I did it deliberately because I wanted a Banana Bike. So Dad let me earn the money to get the parts and turn my plain red bike into a super cool gold fleck painted banana bike. And taught me how to do all the work.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: November 10, 2020 09:05AM
Ken Sp.

[www.homedepot.com]

[www.homedepot.com]

I've also got the $20 version but with an analog pressure dial. It's great for car and bike tires, sports balls, and other inflatables. The $50 version looks great but not necessary.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 10, 2020 10:40AM
jh

Oh yeah, I'm not even that old (I think) but I would always go with my Dad to get gas and fill up the tires when I was a kid so maybe an old memory for me.
Posted by: Wags
Date: November 10, 2020 11:05AM
RgrF
Wags

Bought my first car, a 1953 Buick Super Convertible from just such a job - well that combined with grocery bagging at Shop & Stop.

I bet you'd like to have that Buick back.

My first car was a '55 Volkswagen - small back window, turn signals were little arms in the doorposts that popped out and lit up. Paid $300 for it.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: November 10, 2020 11:29AM
Several years ago my next door neighbor moved from his house to an apartment and he gave me floor-stand/wall-mount compressor for free. Takes up precious room in my garage, but has come handy many times over the past several years.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 10, 2020 02:58PM
wave rider
graylocks

This one is about 150 feet from the tire bays. Makes it easier for them to run the Nitrogen™ line.

This. That's what makes this a nice service - it's not air, it's nitrogen. (Is Nitrogen™ really trademarked?)

Doesn't leak out of your tired as quickly, and is oxygen-free!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: November 11, 2020 12:06PM
rjmacs
wave rider
graylocks

This. That's what makes this a nice service - it's not air, it's nitrogen. (Is Nitrogen™ really trademarked?)

The trademark is for fun to poke at davester and a deceased friend. Regular air is 70% or so nitrogen already.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 12, 2020 02:48PM
wave rider
rjmacs
wave rider
graylocks

The trademark is for fun to poke at davester and a deceased friend. Regular air is 70% or so nitrogen already.

79%, actually.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020