advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ink-Stained Wretches: The Battle for the Soul of Digital Freedom Taking Place Inside Your Printer
Posted by: numbered
Date: November 10, 2020 10:58AM
The install thread below for an HP printer reminded me that Cory wrote an angry polemic on the EFF site about HP's recent move converting their 'free ink for life' offer to 'Just kidding, pay or your printer will not work'. We know a number of firms are trying to use IP ownership to force users to pay for maintenance, features, and updates. (see also, John Deere).

I am thinking Brother or Canon sound better and better.

HP's latest gambit challenges the basis of private property itself: a bold scheme! With the HP Instant Ink program, printer owners no longer own their ink cartridges or the ink in them. Instead, HP's customers have to pay a recurring monthly fee based on the number of pages they anticipate printing from month to month; HP mails subscribers cartridges with enough ink to cover their anticipated needs. If you exceed your estimated page-count, HP bills you for every page (if you choose not to pay, your printer refuses to print, even if there's ink in the cartridges). If you don't print all your pages, you can "roll over" a few of those pages to the next month, but you can't bank a year's worth of pages to, say, print out your novel or tax paperwork. Once you hit your maximum number of "banked" pages, HP annihilates any other pages you've paid for (but continues to bill you every month).

Now, you may be thinking, "All right, but at least HP's customers know what they're getting into when they take out one of these subscriptions," but you've underestimated HP's ingenuity. HP takes the position that its offers can be retracted at any time. For example, HP's "Free Ink for Life" subscription plan offered printer owners 15 pages per month as a means of tempting users to try out its ink subscription plan and of picking up some extra revenue in those months when these customers exceeded their 15-page limit. But Free Ink for Life customers got a nasty shock at the end of last month: HP had unilaterally canceled their "free ink for life" plan and replaced it with "a $0.99/month for all eternity or your printer stops working" plan...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ink-Stained Wretches: The Battle for the Soul of Digital Freedom Taking Place Inside Your Printer
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 10, 2020 11:08AM
I guess this also answers the question from last month about why HP printers stopped printing when a security certificate expired, and why a security certificate was even needed in order to print.
Re: Ink-Stained Wretches: The Battle for the Soul of Digital Freedom Taking Place Inside Your Printer
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 10, 2020 11:13AM
GGD
I guess this also answers the question from last month about why HP printers stopped printing when a security certificate expired, and why a security certificate was even needed in order to print.

No, that was a combination of Apple's overarching security (requiring signed apps and drivers) and a mistake by HP when they updated a certificate. They accidentally made a request to revoke the old cert.

Nothing would have occurred but for Apple's invisible-to-the-end-user Xprotect updates.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 10, 2020 01:14PM
Nothing would have occurred but for Apple's invisible-to-the-end-user Xprotect updates.

Oooooh, big bad Apple.

So what.

That doesn't do anything for HP's Free for Life > 99¢ a month move.

So now HP seems married to you don't really own our printer.

You may have bought it, but it's still a rental.

We control the vertical, we control the horizontal.

I bought a little HP for very light printing, not even two pages a month.

It'll be my last HP printer, and I'll send HP a missive.

I expect other printer manufacturers will follow suit, if this works for HP.

Two for two, I'm good now.

We are a government of laws, not men.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: jonny
Date: November 10, 2020 02:37PM
Epson
Canon
(Brother)
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: November 10, 2020 03:45PM
I've stated before and say it again;
Mac, Unix, & Linux users are not HP's target segment.
They have bound the printer division to M$ Windows pure and simple.
Look @ their server business. Nothing new in years and when they do sell it's
usually bundled with some form of Windows Server.
HP-UX 11i v3 is an EOL product and hasn't been updated in years.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 177
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020