advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple introduces new MacBook Air, MacMini, 13” MacBook Pro with new architecture
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: November 10, 2020 12:30PM
M1 Apple silicon: 8 core CPU (4 high performance, 4 high efficiencies) with onboard GPU with “up to 8 cores
macOS Big Sur will be awesome amazing fantastic
Rosetta 2 will supposedly run Intel-based apps until the apps get updated for Silicon. Photoshop should be updated early next year.
iOS apps will run on it

MacBook Air
No fan, 18 hours of video playback
TouchID
Two tbolt/usb4 ports I think
Starts at $999

Mini:
2 usb-c/tbolt/usb4 ports
Starts at $699
Gigabit Ethernet

13” MacBookPro
3 lbs
Touch bar
Up to 20 hours battery life
Starts at $1299

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2020 12:41PM by Mike Johnson.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple introduces new MacBook Air, new MacMini with new architecture
Posted by: SteveO
Date: November 10, 2020 12:33PM
Up to 16gb RAM and up to 2gb SSD on the Air! Nice! Battery optimization sounds significant from what they're saying. And no fan. Wow. Hope that works out...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2020 12:34PM by SteveO.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: November 10, 2020 12:34PM
All the presenters went to the same hand coach, hmmmm.

Fanless MBA looks great.

=wr=
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 10, 2020 12:35PM
wave rider

Fanless MBA looks great.

I noticed that as well. Very animated.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Re: Apple introduces new MacBook Air, MacMini, 13” MacBook Pro with new architecture
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 10, 2020 12:41PM
Fanless going to be a good idea?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Re: Apple introduces new MacBook Air, MacMini, 13” MacBook Pro with new architecture
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 10, 2020 12:43PM
......not a fan.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 10, 2020 12:43PM
I wonder if the new MBA will be able to run virtual backgrounds in Zoom, Teams, etc. Some of the older Airs struggled with this.
Date: November 10, 2020 12:44PM
Wherefore art the 14" and 16" MBP? Maybe ...one more thing? edit: Tim speaking now...with a 16" MBP in front of him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2020 12:45PM by SteveO.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 10, 2020 12:54PM
I think we all, meaning me, knew there would be no 14/13 or 16/15" MBPs this year.

New form factors will come next year, along with an ASi iMac.

I really like the ASi MBA, and that might replace my 12" MB.

My 13" SR MB seemed just right for me, and I'd really like a 13/12" MB or MBA, but neither will happen.

Must resist...

Two for two, I'm good now.

We are a government of laws, not men.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 10, 2020 12:59PM
BENChMARKS

Date: November 10, 2020 01:00PM

In an MBA?

I'd expect so.

My 2012 has been fanless since 2015, no problems at all.

Granted, it and I don't do any heavy lifting, but I think fanless will be ok in the MBA.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: November 10, 2020 01:05PM
Okay - so a 13" MBA 16/1tb is $1509 edu, $1649 regular.
13" Pro 16/1 is $1759 edu, $1900 regular.

16" does not get new chips right now. No 14" in sight. I will likely remain in my holding pattern on my trusty gray mare mid-'10, 16/1 MBP.
Posted by: GGD
mattkime
BENChMARKS

How fast can it boot a Windows virtual machine?

Fanless MBA looks great.

Yes, to both.

That's always annoyed me with Tim doing it, and he seemed to us that a lot, in the last presentation.

This time, the whole gang was doing it.

That annoyed me more.

And the new MBA — I really want one.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: jdc
Date: November 10, 2020 01:15PM
SteveO
I will likely remain in my holding pattern on my trusty gray mare mid-'10, 16/1 MBP.

Out of curiosity, what would be the perfect replacement?

I mean, I hear what you are saying... you already have 16 GB ram and a 1 TB SSD(?) so whats the point... correct?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: jonny
Date: November 10, 2020 01:31PM
How about throwing a bone to the Mojave hold outs and having Rosetta run 32 bit apps!
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 10, 2020 01:31PM
No touchscreens, so cannot actually run iOS apps properly.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: November 10, 2020 01:48PM
pRICE cUBE

Steve thought it was.. . a number of times.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 10, 2020 01:59PM
sekker

Thats what the trackpad is for. swipe, pinch, pull, etc...

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: November 10, 2020 02:02PM
Rolando
sekker

Nope, nope, nada, nope.
Date: November 10, 2020 03:16PM
jdc
SteveO
I will likely remain in my holding pattern on my trusty gray mare mid-'10, 16/1 MBP.

Out of curiosity, what would be the perfect replacement?

I mean, I hear what you are saying... you already have 16 GB ram and a 1 TB SSD(?) so whats the point... correct?

A fair question. Yes, I already have 16/1 (SSD) and it works fine for my current uses, so don't see an overwhelming need to upgrade, at least for now. Holding out, and most likely for a 14" Air or Pro. I'd consider a 13" M1 refurb though, as I've been on a 13" for about 13 years now if we count my old black MB.

Any new machine is gonna be snappier than my 2010 MBP. But the old one works fine for the moment, as long as OWC keeps selling batteries for us OG'ers! smileys with beer The quantum difference in battery life is really the biggest advantage I see to the new machines, at least for me. I do love to sit outside and work, though, so I can see a new machine's screen brightness being a major upgrade there as well. Don't know if I'm right on that, just guessing.

Also: trying to discern appreciable differences b/w the new 13" models. Not seeing much other than the MBP has
- Fan (which could be a neg, tbd I guess)
- Slightly larger battery for an hour or two of extra life (meh)
- Larger capacity power brick (slightly faster charging? meh)
- Touchbar (has pro user appeal, but probably not much for me)
- 500 nits (vs 400 for Air) brightness...again, likely not a huge deal for me coming from a 2010 model, this old one is probably like 50 nits or something, LOL.
- Thicker and weighs .2 lbs more (meh) than the Air and by accounts of some here, the current Air form factor pretty much "just feels better"
- Maybe slightly better speakers on the Pro?

Am I missing anything? Same M1 processor and cores (on the 512 Air at least, and I doubt there's a huge diff anyway b/w 7 and 8 cores on the graphics side), same TB/USB ports...so doesn't seem to be a huge incentive for me to go Pro as I'm not a dev or real big into video production.

I did make 6 bike safety/maintenance videos this year, each about 4-7 minutes...but to be fair, those were all done on my OG iPhone SE. Which I'm also likely gonna upgrade in the next while to the new 12 Mini if I can find a sweet deal.

Part of me is still considering a 16" machine; I'm in my 50s now and having a larger screen is probably not a bad thing going forward. So long as the form factor is not too unwieldy as I rarely work at my desk. That's why I feel like a 14" may be the sweet spot for me. I did love my 14" Pismo and iBooks. The Pismo has probably been my favorite Mac ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2020 03:19PM by SteveO.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 10, 2020 04:18PM
sekker
Rolando
sekker

Nope, nope, nada, nope.

Sounds like "I won't" not a "it can't"

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 10, 2020 06:51PM
SteveO
Any new machine is gonna be snappier than my 2010 MBP.

At least you recoginze that. So many things have changed since 2010 -- just on the surface:

2010 ram: 1066 Mhz
2020 ram: 2133 mhz

2010 SSD: 200 MB/s
2020 flash: 3000 MB/s

2010 13" screen: 1280 x 800
2020 13" screen: 2560 x 1600

and these are intel numbers, ARM based version is supposed to be faster.

Waiting for a refurb just means another 6 months to save $100... pffft? Im sure costco will have them for $100 off soon.

its time man. =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: November 10, 2020 08:59PM
Rolando
sekker
Rolando
sekker

Nope, nope, nada, nope.

Sounds like "I won't" not a "it can't"

There are MANY iOS apps built around a touchscreen interface. Adding support for a trackpad into iPadOS does NOT make these apps work fine with a Mac trackpad.
Date: November 11, 2020 12:06PM
Ha ha, we'll see when the 14s come out!

jdc
SteveO
Any new machine is gonna be snappier than my 2010 MBP.

At least you recoginze that. So many things have changed since 2010 -- just on the surface:

2010 ram: 1066 Mhz
2020 ram: 2133 mhz

2010 SSD: 200 MB/s
2020 flash: 3000 MB/s

2010 13" screen: 1280 x 800
2020 13" screen: 2560 x 1600

and these are intel numbers, ARM based version is supposed to be faster.

Waiting for a refurb just means another 6 months to save $100... pffft? Im sure costco will have them for $100 off soon.

its time man. =)
Date: November 11, 2020 04:06PM
For me, the MBA with 16G and 256G of storage will be good enough.

A 1T/2T external will be cheaper than the Apple upgrade, if slightly less inelegant.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Date: November 13, 2020 10:09AM
RAMd®d
For me, the MBA with 16G and 256G of storage will be good enough.

A 1T/2T external will be cheaper than the Apple upgrade, if slightly less inelegant.

This is a great point - I rarely use iTunes [local] music anymore. Mostly I just stream it over my phone. And I have a ton of digital photos, mostly from 2001-10...that I could also put on an external. I could probably be okay with 500gb internal. Hmm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020