advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New M1 Mac Mini vs the 2013 Mac Pro trashcan
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: November 10, 2020 01:45PM
Gotta wonder which would perform better.

New M1 Mini has a maximum of 16G RAM. But it's sounding like with the new chip integration, the CPU takes the roll of what used to need RAM (I've got no idea if this is true yet).

It may be a worthy experiment, to get a maxed out Mini and see how it compares to my 2013 Mac Pro (with 64G ram). I do use video editing, but nothing that weighty.

[www.apple.com]

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G 2T) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2020 01:50PM by tuqqer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New M1 Mac Mini vs the 2013 Mac Pro trashcan
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 10, 2020 01:54PM
That new Mac Mini finally looks like a value. Bump the baseline one up to 16GB RAM, and hang an NVME SSD off of the Tbolt port, and you will be rockin'! That's my best guess, anyway....
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 10, 2020 02:01PM
If I get an Apple Silicon Mac, this will be my first purchase.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 10, 2020 02:02PM
tuqqer
Gotta wonder which would perform better.

New M1 Mini has a maximum of 16G RAM. But it's sounding like with the new chip integration, the CPU takes the roll of what used to need RAM (I've got no idea if this is true yet).

It may be a worthy experiment, to get a maxed out Mini and see how it compares to my 2013 Mac Pro (with 64G ram). I do use video editing, but nothing that weighty.

[www.apple.com]

Can it still use and eGPU as well?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 10, 2020 02:04PM
Everyone is waiting on benchmarks.

Im still holding onto my 2014 27" iMac... really wanted a 2020... but no new design... meh. Saving $$ for our new house being built anyway...

Perhaps 6 months from now? iMacs with dual or quad M1 chips?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 10, 2020 03:00PM
I am waiting to see how many old apps run on the new hardware. How well do all the games in my Steam library or if M$ Office runs on a mini...

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Bo
Date: November 10, 2020 03:26PM
Hmm...I'd be very tempted on the new Mini if the built in graphics of the M1 chip are substantially better than my current 2018 Mini (which is by far it's weak link). I'll be curious on the benchmarks.

Looks like my current Mini is worth $630 trade it which means about $300 out of pocket to move to the new one which is a no brainer for me.

Unified Memory? A little unclear on this. Wonder if my upgraded RAM in the 2018 can move to the new one. Suspect not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2020 03:27PM by Bo.
Date: November 10, 2020 04:37PM
Bo
Unified Memory? A little unclear on this. Wonder if my upgraded RAM in the 2018 can move to the new one. Suspect not.

No ram slots.

2018 ram is too old even for a 2020 one.

Posted by: Bo
Date: November 10, 2020 04:54PM
jdc
Bo

No ram slots.

Interesting! So the RAM is integrated right into the M1 chip. Reading a little more...looks like no support for eGPU anymore either. Now I really hope the integrated graphics are up to the task on the new machines

[www.theverge.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2020 04:55PM by Bo.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 10, 2020 05:41PM
Bo
jdc
Bo

No ram slots.

Interesting! So the RAM is integrated right into the M1 chip. Reading a little more...looks like no support for eGPU anymore either. Now I really hope the integrated graphics are up to the task on the new machines

[www.theverge.com]

Clearly they want us to believe the integrated graphics are better than the majority of other integrated graphics processors, but this is not as good as dedicated high end GPU, which is why they are only doing M1 on the entry level hardware, perhaps also b/c of the 16GB RAM limit.

Seems like we should expect to see an M2 next year to address more RAM.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 10, 2020 06:51PM
jdc

[www.cpu-monkey.com]
Date: November 10, 2020 07:25PM
space-time
jdc

[www.cpu-monkey.com]

cool -- a lot to unpack there... and lots of empy holes.

must be a developer model?

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 11, 2020 03:43AM
mikebw
Seems like we should expect to see an M2 next year to address more RAM.

My first thought when I saw that they’d named the new silicon M1:

“What’s better than M1? M2.”

One of the most exciting ramifications of Apple’s move to its own silicon: IF Apple is able to update the Mac processor on the same one year cycle as it does for iPhone/iPad processors with similar levels of performance improvement... the Mac is in for a wild ride.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2020 03:43AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: November 11, 2020 07:54AM
space-time
jdc

[www.cpu-monkey.com]

I may need to wait for the tests that say "longer bar is better" and "this means that computer X is faster for video editing than computer Y."

Cool link and info, nonetheless.

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G 2T) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 11, 2020 10:20AM
tuqqer
space-time
jdc

[www.cpu-monkey.com]

I may need to wait for the tests that say "longer bar is better" and "this means that computer X is faster for video editing than computer Y."

Cool link and info, nonetheless.

I hear ya, although I can say that the Hardware codec support section showing H.264 encode/decode and H.265/HEVC 8-bit and 10-bit is of particular importance for video content creators as well as consumers because you don't need the CPU to handle process in software.
Posted by: raz
Date: November 11, 2020 11:19AM
Oh .. sure .. and then Apple releases the M5 and it tries to kill us all

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020