advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone work out with or is anyone here a personal trainer?
Posted by: dmann
Date: January 21, 2006 01:58PM
I plan to start working with a personal trainer and need to know the questions to ask when interviewing. My goals are to lose weight and get my blood pressure down. I also want to do strength training and muscle toning.

What should I look for besides certifications and references? Are there certain questions I should ask or specific things he/she SHOULD be saying to me during the consultation?

Any help would be appreciated!
DM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone work out with or is anyone here a personal trainer?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 21, 2006 02:02PM
Sorry -- no info to offer, but good luck!

It is what it is.
Date: January 21, 2006 02:02PM
Thanks. G-d knows I need it. I'd rather have root canal... smiling smiley
D
Posted by: Marcos Malo
Date: January 21, 2006 02:16PM
I'm a personal trainer (if you consider Iggy Pup a four legged person. I do.)

I usually start him off with a walk for a little cardio to get his blood pumping. When we arrive at a suitable location, I bring out the tennis ball and we alternate between sprints and jumps. Then a cool down walk.

Other training has included sitting, shaking, high fiving, laying down, and rolling over.

I'm not sure if such a regimen would work for you, as you're a two legged creature, but brisk walking once a day couldn't hurt.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 21, 2006 02:18PM
The key is to STAY WITH IT -- no matter what, do NOT skip your gym visits. I lost 40 pounds a few years back (more, actually: the delta was 40 pounds, but I put on quite a bit of muscle, which means that I lost an equal amount of fat) just by sticking with it.

I know you can do it. I'll be rooting for you! :-)

It is what it is.
Date: January 21, 2006 02:30PM
Marcos- brisk (and I do mean brisk especially when it has been down to 10 and 11 degrees here in Chicago!) walking with Cooper Dog is the ONLY excercise I am getting right now. I am walking between 20 and 30 min 2 or 3x/day. It is something, but a long, long, long way from being enough.

I'd like to be in better shape by the spring/summer so I can get back on my bike- something I definitely can't do right now. The asthma is a double edged sword- the more I work out, the better it is but right now it is so bad due to my inactivity that it is hard to do anything.

I need someone to monitor me in terms of technique and effort, help me set proper goals and just generally keep me motivated. Having a workout partner is a huge help to me and my friends all have such varied schedules it is hard to coordinate with them.

Thanks for the support- I need it!
DM

Posted by: kurtzie
Date: January 21, 2006 03:00PM
DM,

I worked with a personal trainer for about 6 months. I found it to be expensive, but very much worth it. I'm not sure what type of questions you should ask, but I would ask to see the Gym's manager or their head of the personal trainers. Then ask that person if one of the trainers has asthma or has trained people with it before. Also ask the trainer what his/her "shape" was before they got into training (ie overweight, skinny, or just always in "shape").

Find out about the trainers schedule and make sure it fits in with yours.
Date: January 21, 2006 03:09PM
kurtzie- thanks for the tips about the trainer's previous physical condition and experience with asthma. If you don't mind me asking, what were the rates your trainer charged for a session and how long was each session?

Right now I don't have a gym membership (was a member of Bally's for years but HATED them and let it lapse) so there is no manager to ask. smiling smiley

I am hiring an independent trainer- not one affiliated with any particular health club. I have a small gym in my apartment building so I have easy access to basic cardio equipment and weights. The other advantage is that I work at home so it won't be too hard to block out an hour for excercise during the day. I have found that many trainers book up during evening and weekend hours.

DM
Posted by: kanesa
Date: January 21, 2006 03:40PM
Here's a site: Hiring a Personal Trainer-Interview Questions

[www.howtoadvice.com]#

Looks like some really good questions.
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: January 21, 2006 03:50PM
Just don't hire that irritating little guy with the motor mouth and blond ponytail on tv.

Posted by: kanesa
Date: January 21, 2006 03:52PM
Another site I found

[www.ehow.com]

I think good questions should include insurance liability, training in CPR/emergency

Whether s/he has a preference working with men or women. Does s/he believe there is a difference in training.

Whether they require a medical exam/Doctor's OK before beginning training

References

If you have any specific health/physical limitations , has the person worked with this before.

Cancellation/ change appointments policy.

How much are sessions/ How long/ Packaged deals

I worked with a trainer once and I really feel you need to be on the same page regarding your goals and expectations. Diet is another thing to really discuss with your trainer. What are they're nutrition beliefs. I have weight issues and the guy I was working with wanted me to eat power bars. Just more calories I thought I didn't need. He was a body builder and I'm not.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 21, 2006 04:14PM
I will have my wife PM you probably Monday. She started to see a personal trainer several years ago, still does, and last summer she completed a 1/2 Ironman. 3 years ago she would have said that was impossible. YMMV of course. But she will be a really good guide. And a female looking for a trainer is a bit different than a male looking for a trainer. My wife found a female trainer who was really overweight a number of years ago, so there is that very important level of understanding as to someone may be up against when trying to make life changes.
Date: January 21, 2006 04:27PM
Thanks for the great info and links kanesa! Funny that you mentioned the nutritional approach- the trainer that was recommended to me works with a dietician that was recommended to me by my previous GP so I am hopeful about that.

Guitarman, don't worry. If I ever met that guy in person I might be forced to stab him with a sharp object.

RacerX- if your wife is willing to "chat" with me, I'd love to hear from her.

DM
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: January 21, 2006 04:36PM
Two words: Chuck. Norris.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: January 21, 2006 04:59PM
Dmann,

I can't exactly remember the cost. It was through Bally's. It wasn't cheap, but it did motivate me to get in the gym. The sessions were usually an hour, not counting warm up & stretching & cardio/cool down.

Steve
Posted by: freescotland
Date: January 21, 2006 07:41PM
My wife is a personal trainer and she says to make clear up front:

your expectations
cost
how long to get you on the path you want to be on
and that you expect a detailed written program to continue to follow after sessions end.

Good luck. Once you get going it will change your life.
Date: January 22, 2006 01:50PM
thanks for the tips freescotland and Mrs. freescotland!
DM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 75
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020