advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need a simple "smart" thermostat recommendation
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 11, 2020 10:52PM
Relative needs a thermostat to keep track of house temp remotely. There is only one zone I believe. Something inexpensive, don't need a Nest, for example.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need a simple "smart" thermostat recommendation
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 11, 2020 11:00PM
I would take a look at the Ecobee. You may not need all the features, but having multiple sensors can be very helpful. I have one sensor in the basement, one in each bedroom upstairs. This way I know the temps on every floor of the house.

The basement one is especially useful when we go on vacation in the winter. I set the house to 55 degrees and an alert to tell me when the basement goes below 40. Something could break a basement window and freeze your pipes and you would never know there was a problem because the main floor stays at 55.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 11, 2020 11:28PM
Yes, that's the idea, keeping track of temp for an unoccupied house.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 12, 2020 04:54AM
The new Wyze Thermostat looks interesting and is priced at only $50, however they aren't shipping until December.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 12, 2020 06:21AM
my local power company has sales and they had nest for only $40 and eco bee for a little more, I think $60 but I don't recall for sure.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: November 12, 2020 06:25AM
My Honeywell works great and seen a model on sale for $99. Integrates with their own app and Alexa
Posted by: Undun
Date: November 12, 2020 06:41AM
Do they have a “C” wire? Most wifi thermostats require a constant power source (the C wire), but older set ups aren’t usually equipped with one. There are a couple that will work and there is a work around on the furnace end of things, but you/they need to be aware of the requirements of the particular thermostat they choose.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 12, 2020 07:28AM
[smartthermostatguide.com]

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Date: November 12, 2020 07:44AM
Undun
Do they have a “C” wire? Most wifi thermostats require a constant power source (the C wire), but older set ups aren’t usually equipped with one. There are a couple that will work and there is a work around on the furnace end of things, but you/they need to be aware of the requirements of the particular thermostat they choose.

correct, eco bee comes with a power kit extender to work around this requirement. Basically you install a little box inside furnace and that converts that 5 wire setup inside the furnace into. 4 wire setup that goes to the thermostat.

I had one of those fail after 4 years. It still worked, but the relay inside made a terrible bussing noise (probably 60 or 120 Hz) that was so annoying! I found a replacement on eBay.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 12, 2020 09:01AM
C(-)ris
I would take a look at the Ecobee. You may not need all the features, but having multiple sensors can be very helpful. I have one sensor in the basement, one in each bedroom upstairs. This way I know the temps on every floor of the house.

The basement one is especially useful when we go on vacation in the winter. I set the house to 55 degrees and an alert to tell me when the basement goes below 40. Something could break a basement window and freeze your pipes and you would never know there was a problem because the main floor stays at 55.

I second the Ecobee. It is quite capable, but can be just a basic thermostat if you don't want to mess around with digital assistant integrations and whatnot. I can use the app or login to my account on ecobee.com to monitor and change my thermostat settings from anywhere.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 12, 2020 10:09AM
As mentioned, the benefit of the Ecobee is the remote sensors. You can use these to monitor temperatures away from the thermostat.

With the Eve app and HomeKit, you can use the Ecobee temperature sensors as a trigger device. You would need to add an AppleTV or HomePod in order to support HomeKit remotely.
Posted by: D. Lawson
Date: November 12, 2020 03:14PM
The original Emerson Sensi is about as no-frills as it gets, and does not require a C-wire (it can run on two AA batteries instead). We have been using one for over five years with no issues, and neither the app nor Alexa have given us any problems, either.

[www.amazon.com]
Date: November 12, 2020 06:53PM
how long do those AA last?
Posted by: D. Lawson
Date: November 13, 2020 08:04PM
space-time
how long do those AA last?

I replace them annually, but have never actually had them die on me. It probably helps that we rarely use the backlight (which turns on whenever a physical button is pressed) because we just tell Alexa to change the temperature, switch from heat to A/C, etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 156
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020