advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Short video that shows the potential speeds of the new iPhone 12 chip (and perhaps the M1s)
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: November 12, 2020 08:45AM
Two minute video of a guy showing video rendering in a 2018 iMac 5K and an iPhone 12.

Just speculation at this point, obviously. Still, it's an interesting comparison, and gets me salivating to see the numbers for the new M1 Mini. (to replace my long-in-the-tooth 2013 trashcan)

[twitter.com]

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Sonoma 14.x Dual 27" Dell S2722QC monitors M2 2022 13" MBAir (512G 16G)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Short video that shows the potential speeds of the new iPhone 12 chip (and perhaps the M1s)
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 12, 2020 09:11AM
Anandtech has promising speculation on the whole M1 thing.

Edit:

8 CPU cores, 8 GPU cores, plus neural engine, all on one chip of 16 billion transistors at 5 nm.

smiley-shocked003

(How the heck do you even design something with 16 billion “parts”?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2020 09:17AM by pdq.
Re: Short video that shows the potential speeds of the new iPhone 12 chip (and perhaps the M1s)
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 12, 2020 09:22AM
pdq
Anandtech has promising speculation on the whole M1 thing.

Edit:

8 CPU cores, 8 GPU cores, plus neural engine, all on one chip of 16 billion transistors at 5 nm.

smiley-shocked003

How do you even TEST each chip at this level of complexity?
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 12, 2020 10:58AM
meh?

dunno who that guy is, but calling out linustech tip is just trolling to get his social meida numbers up, imho.

linus social media numbers crush his... so clickbait?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: tenders
Date: November 12, 2020 11:18AM
sekker
pdq

How do you even TEST each chip at this level of complexity?

By asking a LOT of open-ended questions, I suppose.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: November 12, 2020 11:25AM
BTW that's a 2020 10-core iMac with the 16GB Radeon Pro 5700. The top of the line non-Pro iMac.

And an iPhone 12 Mini wipes the floor with it.

However I'd like to see the final output of the 2 clip conversions on appropriate hardware to see if they're actually comparable in quality. OK, I'd like someone with expertise compare them because I probably couldn't tell the difference.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 12, 2020 11:29AM
Anandtech has been criticized as being a shadow of it's former self. While there has been the potential for a massive speedup by removing an abstraction layer with an OS designed from the bottom up for a mobile CPU, I am a little hesitant to blindly recommend the M1 for all work flows that don't take advantage of the specific processor enhancements (eg. no application over 18 months old that doesn't have a legacy iPad version).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 240
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020