advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do cities usually have a "Uber" for pickups?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 12, 2020 10:42AM
It seems like there would be a market.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do cities usually have a "Uber" for pickups?
Posted by: PeterW
Date: November 12, 2020 10:48AM
You can rent a pickup at most big box home improvement stores.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: November 12, 2020 10:53AM
Apps like Dolly give you truck+driver, so that's most like Uber or Lyft. In-town (as opposed to airport) rent-a-car locations sometimes have pickups, as do some U-Haul locations. The home improvement stores do have them available—but you have to show you already have car insurance, so that's useless for someone like me with no car.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 12, 2020 11:32AM
Okay so I read that one totally wrong...

emoticon-animal-022

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: stephen
Date: November 12, 2020 11:35AM
ZipCar. Drive it yourself.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 12, 2020 11:41AM
The downside of owning a pickup is that everyone wants to borrow it. Then I get nasty looks when I politely decline. Then I'm asked to give up my time to transport their crap. Again, I politely decline. Always suggest that they rent from Uhaul or other service.

After seeing how most people treat their vehicles, there is no way I would let them drive mine. Plus, it's my insurance that's at risk. If they don't secure a load, cause an accident, etc, I'm financially exposed. No thank you.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 12, 2020 11:45AM
Uber and Lyft are usually only for passengers. You might be able to get limited size cargo in a 'black/premium' level of service. Truck rental firms that typically have $19.99 daily rentals is a much smaller market that peaks for a few days at the end/beginning of each month.

Edit: I hadn't heard of Dolly.com. Their estimate for my location was $80 to move a 'fridge' less than 10 miles. It's only comparable if you need to include the cost of Lyft to and from a truck rental office.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2020 11:53AM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 12, 2020 12:15PM
I have heard of neighbors using Bunjii, [bungii.com], for help with small moves. Basically you are hiring someone to come with their own truck, and I think actually two guys come, and you pay them to move the thing. No personal experience, but it sounds easy.

EDIT- also good for when you want to buy a large item from a store/classified ad but don't have a truck and delivery is more expensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2020 12:23PM by mikebw.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 12, 2020 12:22PM
In my day, we just rented a U Haul...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 12, 2020 12:23PM
Markintosh
In my day, we just rented a U Haul...

heh, now it's "U pay someone else to Haul"
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 12, 2020 01:39PM
I was under the impression I had become the last American to own a pickup. Naturally, I now have two and with access to three more.

So I’m afraid I don’t understand the question. But I will say none may be borrowed, for the same reason I wasn’t thrilled our chainsaw was borrowed (by the neighbor we PAID) to knock down a barn: The saw came back with TEETH missing on the chain.
Date: November 12, 2020 01:57PM
deckeda
I was under the impression I had become the last American to own a pickup. Naturally, I now have two and with access to three more.

So I’m afraid I don’t understand the question. But I will say none may be borrowed, for the same reason I wasn’t thrilled our chainsaw was borrowed (by the neighbor we PAID) to knock down a barn: The saw came back with TEETH missing on the chain.

Replacing a chainsaw chain is cheap compared to the costs associated with the risk lending any vehicle.
Re: Do cities usually have an "Uber" for pickups?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 12, 2020 02:44PM

Huh?!

It must be where you live.

I see tons of pickups here in the bay area.

Usually they're huge GMC/RAM/Ford types, spotless, that looked like they've never hauled a thing, not that there's anything wrong with that.

There are also some diesel versions that I see running around, some of which are equally spotless.

I don't know the stats on pickups produced by the Big Three, but they seem as plentiful as ever, at least over the last few years.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: November 12, 2020 06:33PM
RAMd®d

Huh?!

Usually they're huge GMC/RAM/Ford types, spotless, that looked like they've never hauled a thing, not that there's anything wrong with that.

There are also some diesel versions that I see running around, some of which are equally spotless.

I don't know the stats on pickups produced by the Big Three, but they seem as plentiful as ever, at least over the last few years.

Pickup truck sales have continued to be strong. I see more of them on the road everyday. Many couples I know that have more than 1 vehicle tend to have at least one pickup. Those that don't have a pickup tend to be in the minority these days.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: November 12, 2020 08:22PM
I can echo Dennis' feelings. On demand is the key here. There are a couple of times a year where I need something like this, for which I can't plan ahead for.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 12, 2020 09:39PM
Carnos Jax
I can echo Dennis' feelings. On demand is the key here. There are a couple of times a year where I need something like this, for which I can't plan ahead for.

Uhaul, Enterprise, and Home Depot/Menards all have trucks for rent.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: November 12, 2020 11:34PM
That’s what I mean by on demand, when you’re in a situation and you need a truck Right now. You don’t have the time to go rent a truck and come back. And or you need someone else to do the driving.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: November 13, 2020 12:43PM
Well, you've got lots of "guy with a truck" listings on Craigslist.

If you prefer to rely on ratings given by other users, then you turn to the apps like Dolly, Lugg, DudeINeedATruck, Fetchit, GetBurro, Haulor, or Zapt.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 13, 2020 06:49PM
.....depends on the pick-up line.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: November 14, 2020 03:08AM
Mr Downtown
Well, you've got lots of "guy with a truck" listings on Craigslist.

Problem is those guys aren’t nearly as quick enough, they’re not on demand per se. I think what Dennis and I are looking for is the responsiveness of an Uber or Lyft, and available almost anywhere.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 14, 2020 08:47AM
RAMd®d

Huh?!

In a decent month there are 400,000 F-150’s made. That’s been the best-selling vehicle for many years, and it’s not as if their competitors are having trouble, either. Sedans, i.e. cars, are being discontinued.

Part of its where I live, which for a rural lifestyle means every 20yr old with a job is making payments on a lifted 10 or 15 yr old $15K diesel with a bypass switch to “roll coal” (dump black smoke) to impress his buddies. We have a lot other similar self-esteem aids in small town USA, which for whatever reason does not allow the natives to develop very much penis size. True fact, probably.

The rest of us have a farm or some other use-case scenario where the truck(s) are desired. We are the only people we know that don’t have a 4WD truck, and we could use one. And a decent tractor also. MPG isn’t much of a factor when everything’s 10 or 15 minutes away (unless you plan on a day drive jaunt to a metro area.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 66
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020