advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I entered the world of modern power tools. You're welcome.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 12, 2020 04:48PM
I picked up a metabo HPT drill kit, DV18DBFL2T

Amazon had it at the best price, $150 but I snagged an open-box for $25 less. $125-$135 is about what the drill alone sells for, with batteries, bag, charger (I needed a new platform setup after all.)

For the last few years I had decided on the Ridgid platform because when you buy a kit with batteries, the batteries are included in the lifetime warranty (so long as you buy from Home Depot and register the purchase with Ridgid.) Over time I came to value other factors instead, despite not having any real objections to the Ridgid platform.

This has a metal Weida chuck of the sort you find on better Makitas, De Walts etc. It's probably no better than plastic but I got tired of the chewed-up looking one on my old drill. I will say this: These have basically ZERO runout or wobble.

There are other things I like about the drill but they're probably no different than the better-known brands offer, so long as you do not get the cheapest models "they" sell. This isn't a high-end drill, but for most uses it seems pretty darn capable.

The kit comes with their regular battery (3aH) as well as their "big" battery ... it's "multi voltage," which really just means it's still an 18v battery than can deliver 36v in their more expensive tools (but at a lower aH.) Their better charger is included. Sounds like a hair dryer on the low setting; this will have to stay in the garage.

Lowe's sells this kit for $179, but what I think they really want you to buy is the KC18DBFL2TM which is this kit + an impact driver for $199. SO, isn't that the best value? Not for me ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2020 04:53PM by deckeda.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I entered the world of modern power tools. You're welcome.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 12, 2020 05:07PM
....power......to the people.....!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: November 12, 2020 05:11PM
... What I bought instead was the WH18DBDL2Q4, which is the 18v version of their Triple Hammer impact driver. This thing has enough power that they could have easily made it into a 3/8" impact wrench. For now, I'll be happy with the "driver" function and worry about getting something to use directly with sockets later.

Lowes and Amazon have it for $99.

They (Hitachi ... ) threw a lot into this design a few years ago, including IP56 rating, power modes and so on.

So ... yeah. Hitachi Koki in Japan changed their name to Koki Holdings and the Hitachi name was released to continue to do non-tool stuff. [www.koki-holdings.com]

The previous Hitachi power tools became Hikoki in most parts of the world, or metabo HPT in North America. metabo in Germany remains metabo in Germany, entirely unrelated to metabo HPT insofar as engineering and distribution is concerned.

Yes, changing the consumer line of tools to metabo HTP was insanely dumb (Hikoki isn't any better ... ) bt then again I'm not worth zillions of dollars, so who cares?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2020 05:14PM by deckeda.
Date: November 12, 2020 05:23PM
NewtonMP2100
....power......to the people.....!!!

And Hitachi still makes the Magic Wand, known affectionately to women around the world for decades as, "The Hitachi."

But you won't find their name on it anywhere these days.

And that's odd, since they had no qualms about partnering with Vibratex years ago to distribute it when it was still branded as a Hitachi.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 12, 2020 05:53PM
Cool, I just picked up this from Home Depot:

[www.homedepot.com]

I've been wanting a cordless 1/2" Impact for a while, was looking at the $119 Ryobi for a while but was concerned about how well it would hold up and the lower torque rating.

This deal came up, and even though it is the lowest end Milwaukee Impact it has plenty of torque for anything automotive related unless you are dealing with heavy equipment.

I used the ratchet today and was able to drive 5" lag screws through a 4x4 post and 2x12. Very impressed.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 12, 2020 06:29PM
I'm on the Black & Yellow team. I went with DeWalt as they released a power station that uses 4 of their 20 volt batteries to create a 110 volt 15 amp power supply. My wife can pull the power station out and load up 4 batteries with ease to power her laptop and hot spot to work from home if I'm not around. She's used it to run the refrigerator for a bit as well.

Their top of the line 1/2 inch 20 volt impact gun is a beast as well. Thing can break just about any bolt or nut free and has more power than almost every pneumatic impact gun I've used, especially when using their FlexVolt batteries. The cordless 7-1/4 inch circular saw works really well.

Recently added their pole hedge trimmer/chainsaw tool as well. The guy who lives behind me doesn't trim his hedges/trees that lean over into my property. This tool allows me to do all the trimming from the ground. Couldn't believe that what used to take a few hours with a small trimmer and ladder now takes me about 20 minutes to cut and a half hour to clean up.

Next up will be to replace the gas string trimmer with a battery powered one. Hopefully, I can sell the gas one next spring.
Date: November 12, 2020 07:54PM
It's been interesting to see the improvements in recent years brought about by lithium ion batteries, and the new use-cases.

My first cordless was a Craftsman 14.4v ... tough drill ... but the NiCd batteries always had to stay topped up on the charger (that only charged one at a time, but what worked OK for my causal use was to just swap them on the charger whenever I used the drill). When the last battery died I finally donated it all. I'm sure many of you have a similar story.

When I rebuilt my deck at the last house there were some tight spots the Craftsman couldn't get into, despite it not being a huge drill. I picked up "micro drill/driver," a Hitachi DS10DFL. I still have that little drill. It's great, but my luck with the batteries hasn't been stellar.

They released a gen 2 update, and the name change to metabo HPT but abandoned the 12v (well, 10.8v in their case) platform. There's a HECK of a lot those drills can do, but today the 12v space is better served by say, Milwaukee. Their 12v tools do not go on sale as often as the 18v ones. They know what they have!

I'm considering buying the newer-gen (stronger) metabo HPT charger for my little Hitachi drill that only takes 1.5 aH batteries and keeping the setup for smaller tasks or as a backup. It's "ancient," and only half the torque of my new drill, but it's also very capable still. And weighs about half as much.

Date: November 12, 2020 07:59PM
macphanatic
... Recently added their pole hedge trimmer/chainsaw tool as well. ...

The Black & Decker 18v NiCd platform was my first cordless. I still have the pole hedge trimmer and weed wacker. On a full charge or so I could complete everything just before the battery died.

When I moved, I learned by step father in law had the big drill from that set that didn't run for very long and so I picked up a spare battery and better charger. I haven't used the system in 3 years and fully expect it all to be totally dead if I ever want it since we don't keep the batteries charged.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 12, 2020 09:23PM
Metabo is Hitachi, no?
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 12, 2020 11:06PM
I understand that Metabo makes a quality product. That said, five or six years ago, I "graduated" from DeWalt 18V NiCad tools to a Deluxe 15 tool Milwaukee 18V Li-Ion kit. It came with four 4AH batteries and a six gang, sequential charger that were NOT counted as part of the 15 tools! Three Milwaukee canvas bags held all 15 tools (+ the charger and batteries). I've since purchased several other Milwaukee tools, both from Milwaukee's M-18 and M-12 lines. I've been VERY happy with all of the Milwaukee tools I've bought. ZERO "buyer's remorse".
Date: November 13, 2020 06:33AM
anonymouse1
Metabo is Hitachi, no?

No.

metabo is still only metabo. Hitachi is now metabo HPT (or Hikoki). There’s no engineering shared between metabo and metabo HPT brands. But it’s all the same parent company ownership.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 13, 2020 08:19AM
Is it a hammer drill or an impact driver?

Looks like an impact driver, but they usually don't have a chuck. At least mine doesn't.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 13, 2020 08:26AM
testcase
I understand that Metabo makes a quality product. That said, five or six years ago, I "graduated" from DeWalt 18V NiCad tools to a Deluxe 15 tool Milwaukee 18V Li-Ion kit. It came with four 4AH batteries and a six gang, sequential charger that were NOT counted as part of the 15 tools! Three Milwaukee canvas bags held all 15 tools (+ the charger and batteries). I've since purchased several other Milwaukee tools, both from Milwaukee's M-18 and M-12 lines. I've been VERY happy with all of the Milwaukee tools I've bought. ZERO "buyer's remorse".

Same here. I don't think anyone has buyers remorse when they go Milwaukee, other than maybe the wallet or that they didn't do it sooner or get more! Especially the Fuel line.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Schpark
Date: November 13, 2020 09:51AM
Very happy with my M12 Fuel Milwaukee tools.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 13, 2020 11:50AM
For those that have the Milwaukee tools, do any of you have their cordless ratchets? If so, which ones and how do you like them?

It's the one cordless tool category that I could use that DeWalt doesn't offer at this time.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: November 13, 2020 12:47PM
Sorry, I don't have that one so cannot comment.
Posted by: d4
Date: November 13, 2020 03:13PM
Black Friday is 14 days away.
You couldn't wait?!

Date: November 13, 2020 10:38PM
Lux Interior
Is it a hammer drill or an impact driver?

Looks like an impact driver, but they usually don't have a chuck. At least mine doesn't.

I bought 2 tools.
The kit I bought is a hammer drill/driver. I don’t know why they started calling them drill/drivers unless they realized people were using them as lighter-duty tools for using 1/4” bit holders in addition to boring holes in things.

The second tool I bought is only a driver, an impact driver. Made for just the 1/4” bit holders. The impact (hammer) function increases effective torque. Depending on the setting and so on, some can conserve power and speed when possible, some can start quickly and end slowly, some can automatically sense when the screw or bolt you’re running down into the material has reached flush and shut the tool down so that you don’t over - drive it. The clutch settings on modern drill-drivers are a crude way of doing that, but impact drivers can be setup for sophisticated.
Date: November 13, 2020 10:40PM
d4
Black Friday is 14 days away.
You couldn't wait?!

Black Friday died a few years ago. The H-D and Lowe’s sales have not only been out for a week, they’re also selling at those prices now. And I’ve got enough return days left in case there’s a surprise sale.
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 14, 2020 03:23PM
When it went on a crazy good sale, I bought a Milwaukee M-12 1/4" Ratchet Wrench Kit. I haven't needed to use it yet so, I cannot report as to how well it works. It seems to be built "Milwaukee Tought" though. If you buy Milwaukee at Home Depot, it would be easy to return it should you be dissatisfied with it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020