advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Reflecting end of Mac OS X & beginning Mac OS 11 era. What are your thought of the past 19 years?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 13, 2020 08:57AM
Thinking of how much has happened in my life since OS X Cheetah. It is almost like two different lives. I recall loading Cheetah on my G4 400mhz Graphite tower and Powerbook G4 made out of titanium.

19 years ago you could still walk up to people who were using Macs and strike up a conversation. If you do that now, you would be considered a weirdo.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2020 09:43AM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Reflecting end of Mac OS X & beginning Mac OS 11 era. What are your thought of the past 19 years?
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 13, 2020 09:07AM
Apple is the Big Dawg now. No excuses for servers crashing on the Big Day.

Personally, I’m in the same field but in a new institution. I waited a bit before diving into OSX. Will do the same for OS11.
Re: Reflecting end of Mac OS X & beginning Mac OS 11 era. What are your thought of the past 19 years?
Posted by: Schpark
Date: November 13, 2020 09:29AM
Just another era

went through the following so far (not including whatever my Apple IIE ran in high school):

6.x
7.x
8.x
9.x
X.x

Life and Apple/MacOS goes on.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 13, 2020 09:41AM
The OS9 interface was beautiful and refined and I could use software without reading a manual because software developers followed the interface guidelines. But it crashed and rebooted multiple times a day. Even the beta of OS X was a breath of fresh air in comparison.

Going forward from the beta OS X just got better and better. Updates and software could be installed without reboots which was amazing. I had one computer run 500 days without rebooting and my own desktop went over 300 days without rebooting. iLife was simply amazing. I had never seen software work so well together and it really was 90% of what I wanted to do on my computer.

Sometime after the revered Snow Leopard everything started going down hill. Uptime is now measured in weeks rather than months, Apple's software rarely works together anymore, there's all kinds of weird pauses and spinning beach balls for things as simple as trying to pull up the finder with multiple drives, Apple abandoned all interface guidelines and it's a pure guess where a button will be found, what it will look like, or in the case of Mail if it will be an invisible button that you just have to know is there.

The upside is there is LOTS of software for OS X. In the old days software was so limited. What we had worked great but we didn't have alot!

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: November 13, 2020 10:04AM
I miss the simplicity and speed of OS9.

When first using OS9, I missed the simplicity of system 3.2/finder 5.3
The difference is that it took days for me to stop missing 3.2/5.3, whereas I still prefer OS9 to OSX, despite the crashes of the former.

OSX peaked with Snow Leopard, becoming slower and less intuitive from there.

Tiger is my favorite. I use it on my 23 titanium Powerbook G4’s (soon to be 25 — yeah, I’ve got a problem).
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 13, 2020 11:16AM
Increasing disillusionment sums it up for me.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 13, 2020 11:44AM
You would think after 19 years we would have a bulletproof, no maintenance OS. Sadly, I find myself having to fiddle with it from time to time.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 13, 2020 12:48PM
Apple used to sell OSX so it was a money generating product for them. There also used to be alot of competition from Windows so Apple needed to keep improving OSX.

Now it's nothing but a money drain to Apple and it works well enough for most people. So the only motivation to change OSX at this point is to add a money generating feature like Apple Music. I haven't seen an actual useful upgrade feature in a long time.

I upgraded (High Sierra?) to get text messaging on OSX and unified calling (I don't know what it's really called). Everything since then looks like a downgrade to me.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2020 01:02PM by davemchine.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 13, 2020 03:13PM
Pretty close to exactly 22 years from my first post at the previous place.

I am currently a little underwhelmed with Apple silicon. Show apples to apples comparisons, not 'it's 5x faster then a 2 year old heat throttled mobile integrated GPU.'

I still don't trust Apple with long term online storage. I really dislike how iOS hides music/media/data files and needs so many stupid tricks for workarounds, like updating devices (unpair your watch to update, wtf...).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: hal
Date: November 13, 2020 03:52PM
I don't consider this a new era by any stretch. The only reason that this is being called OS 11 is to draw attention to the new apple processors. Early betas called it 10.16.

OS X was a rebuild from the ground up - this is an incremental upgrade.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 13, 2020 04:47PM
They should have gone with 11 on Lion, which was not Mac OS X, it was OSX Lion.

Lion was a fresh start, no more PPC Compatibliltiy, no more Rosetta, the beginning of integration with iOS, etc
Should have stayed with 11 until iOS got to 12, then Sync up.

Lion macOS 11
Mountain Lion macOS 11.1
Mavericks macOS 11.2
Yosemite macOS 11.3
El Capitan macOS 11.4
Sierra. macOS 11.5
High Sierra macOS 11.6
Mojave macOS 12
Catalina macOS 13
Big Sur macOS 14

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 13, 2020 08:34PM
Rolando
They should have gone with 11 on Lion, which was not Mac OS X, it was OSX Lion.

Lion was a fresh start, no more PPC Compatibliltiy, no more Rosetta, the beginning of integration with iOS, etc

Lion was also the first OS X release after the venerated Snow Leopard and was the beginning of the OS's slow decline from peak OS X 10.6.7.

It is what it is.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: November 13, 2020 08:55PM
I still admire Apple software and hardware when it is running smoothly but sometimes I have to scratch my head and wonder why some things aren't as intuitive as what we had in the days of OS 9.

JoeM
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 13, 2020 09:08PM
First thought - 'dear god i'm old!'

Second thought - I've been becoming more comfortable with Linux. I don't think I'd go full time linux but work keeps me in macbook pros.

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: November 14, 2020 09:35AM
Love 10.6.8...the machine I'm using now can still boot it.

Sticking with 10.12 as long as possible for my main machines.
Posted by: JPK
Date: November 16, 2020 04:43PM
You want to see real change, how about the move from 6.x to 7. That that was a leap!

JPK
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020