advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any uses for PowerMac G4's?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 13, 2020 12:50PM
I'm being asked to clean out space at work, and still have a bunch of old Powermac G4's to get rid of. They all work, so I feel pretty awful about just tossing them into e-waste. At the very least, I'm thinking to keep a Quicksilver or MDD, in case I need to fire up OS9 at some point.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any uses for PowerMac G4's?
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 13, 2020 01:09PM
hahaha! sadly, only good use anymore...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: November 13, 2020 01:13PM
wait -- just saw this!!

Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 13, 2020 01:27PM
They had lovely handles so I imagine you could use them in some sort of keg toss style competition.

Nearly the same weight too.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 13, 2020 01:38PM
I have one I keep around to use some SCSI devices to access and transfer old files. Currently don't keep it powered on, one of the fans is failing and needs replacing. Haven't dug into it deep enough to find which yet.

Except for shipping being an issue, a G4 with PS and fans usable for a Digital Audio G4 is what I am looking for eventually. Nearly snagged one locally a year or two ago, but someone else got it first.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: November 13, 2020 01:48PM
There’s a demand for them amongst those who still use OS9, PPC OSX, or are just getting into retro computing.
There’s a wealth of great software available for cheap, or even for nothing.
Check out MacOS9Lives.com and 68kmla.com (Mac Liberation Army - they have a PPC section, not just 68000) for an idea of just how loved these items are.

eBay or Goodwill, if you have to, but please don’t send them for recycling!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 13, 2020 02:21PM
Recycle them. I have Cube in original box that I couldn’t give away on the middle forum.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 13, 2020 02:22PM
I have a Quicksilver and a MDD that I keep around just because. Also tons of pro audio, video and graphics software for them.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 13, 2020 02:29PM
See if libraries or schools could use them.
Date: November 13, 2020 02:33PM
Dennis S
See if libraries or schools could use them.

I can save you the trouble, they 100% dont want them.

Posted by: Catzilla
Date: November 13, 2020 02:34PM
Macrumors has an active PPC forum, I'm sure someone will take them off your hands.
I have an iMac G4 and a PM G3 tower setup for some OS 9 and early OS X nostalgia.
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: November 13, 2020 02:36PM
S. Pupp
There’s a demand for them amongst those who still use OS9, PPC OSX, or are just getting into retro computing.
There’s a wealth of great software available for cheap, or even for nothing.
Check out MacOS9Lives.com and 68kmla.com (Mac Liberation Army - they have a PPC section, not just 68000) for an idea of just how loved these items are.

eBay or Goodwill, if you have to, but please don’t send them for recycling!

Don't forget Macintosh Garden, you can download there with OS 9.
Posted by: jonny
Date: November 13, 2020 02:41PM
Speedy
Recycle them. I have Cube in original box that I couldn’t give away on the middle forum.

Pop out the guts and throw a mini in there!
Posted by: decay
Date: November 13, 2020 03:13PM
Speedy

Damn, I missed that...

---
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 13, 2020 04:54PM
Facebook Low End Group, make them free for pickup?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 13, 2020 05:28PM
Catzilla
Macrumors has an active PPC forum, I'm sure someone will take them off your hands.
I have an iMac G4 and a PM G3 tower setup for some OS 9 and early OS X nostalgia.

Looks like I last posted over there 12 years ago under Grateful11. Tried to reset my password but it failed to recognize any current email addresses I use now.

Grateful11
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 13, 2020 05:30PM
I always wanted a Mirror Door. I used a G4 533mhz Digital Audio tower for quite a while. Won it on an eBay auction at a decent price.

Grateful11
Posted by: Diana
Date: November 13, 2020 05:53PM
Speedy

If you still have it, PM me.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 13, 2020 07:33PM
Speedy

Gave away my Cube's and now regret it.
Posted by: p8712
Date: November 13, 2020 08:47PM
I’m restoring a few G4 towers right now, if you want to ship them at my cost let me know. Depending on the generation I can find use for them.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: November 13, 2020 08:50PM
I still have a G4 that is able to run Opcode Studio Vision Pro and an editor for my Old Emulator e6400, along with other older MIDI software. I fired it up a few months ago and got a kick out of running it again.

JoeM
Posted by: ArtP
Date: November 15, 2020 08:12PM
I recently got into browsing reddit recently. There is a VINTAGE APPLE THREAD that I'm sure would have some interest or at least give you some good ideas on what to do with them.

This dude turned a old G4 into a Gaming computer - if you like playing on both sides of the fence?

Posted by: rz
Date: November 16, 2020 01:40PM
I snagged a mirror-door G4 about 5-7 years ago, with the 20" Apple LCD for $20. I used for a while as a bittorrent machine. I figured if anything I downloaded had any kind of malicious code in it, it would only mess up that machine. Of course, nothing of the sort ever happened. Sold it for more than I paid for it about a year later.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020